PDA

View Full Version : Docking lights won't shut off

jerseyphil
05-20-2011, 12:03 PM
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB with LED docking lights.....

The lights will NOT shut off. Thought maybe the switch was bad?? NOPE.
I took the leads off the switch, kept the wire contacts separated, and the lights STILL stayed on.

Called my dealer and spoke with a mechanic there. The mechanic said he didn't know how that was possible and had no clue.

Anyone ever have this problem??

Thanks,
Phil

DocData757
05-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Pull each of your fuses in the fuse panel one at a time and see if they go out. Then you might be able to tell which circuit they are wired into rather than the one they are supposed to be wired in to.

jje1960
05-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Check the remote. We went through the same issue, the remote needs to be used to turn them off.

66ken
05-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Check the remote. We went through the same issue, the remote needs to be used to turn them off.

I agree. Had the same problem myself.

jerseyphil
05-20-2011, 01:47 PM

WOW!
JJE1960........Thanks so much.
That was the issue. I had played with the remote and pressed the docking light button.

I totally appreciate your help.

Regards,
Phil

jerseyphil
05-20-2011, 02:06 PM
I agree. Had the same problem myself.

Thanks as well to 66ken and others for your help. It is such a good feeling to know friends on this forum are such good people.

Phil (jerseyphil)

kenn209
05-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Ben there done that!! Last year spend several hours at the campground troubleshooting. Then it hit me! I had used the remote to turn them on! Bingo! Got out the remote right before hitting the sack and they went off!!

mikell
05-21-2011, 04:50 AM
I had a large camcorder battery one time plugged into the 12 to charge. One time I couldn't get things to shut odd even disconnected the battery and things stayed on and the van kept running ??? The battery was backfeeding and keeping a relay engaged. It was a conversion van but you never know

jerseyphil
05-21-2011, 10:38 AM
I had a large camcorder battery one time plugged into the 12 to charge. One time I couldn't get things to shut odd even disconnected the battery and things stayed on and the van kept running ??? The battery was backfeeding and keeping a relay engaged. It was a conversion van but you never know

Electrical issues can be difficult to track down. Throwing in an engaged relay can really make it confusing. With my docking light issue, I knew it had to be getting power somehow, and also had to be grounded somewhere. Since I had never used the remote before, and had no instructions for it, I was unaware that I had turned on the docking lights with it.

Thanks for your comment.

jje1960
05-22-2011, 12:49 AM
How we originally found this out.... was at the dealer during walk through, the sales woman was trying to figure out the remote... pushed all the buttons.... anyway, I noticed the docking lights on and they had to call one of the techs to figure it out. BTW, the remote is actually one of the nicest options on the trailer, while alone, hooking up without it is a pain. Also, extending the slide in tight conditions is so much easier while standing next to it vs inside.

jerseyphil
05-22-2011, 02:06 AM
How we originally found this out.... was at the dealer during walk through, the sales woman was trying to figure out the remote... pushed all the buttons.... anyway, I noticed the docking lights on and they had to call one of the techs to figure it out. BTW, the remote is actually one of the nicest options on the trailer, while alone, hooking up without it is a pain. Also, extending the slide in tight conditions is so much easier while standing next to it vs inside.

Thanks again for your help.
I was anticipating a trip to the dealer, and having him say I had to leave the trailer.
Phil

chuckretnav
05-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Had same problem only I didnt play with the remote. Was sitting outside at night and all at once they came on. Even took the switch out of the circuit and still on. First trip out. Got back to where I store the trailer at and disconected the battery. Heard a click like a relay reset. Put cable back on the battery and the lights where out. Happen one other time. Never touched the remote. Disconected the battery and let the relay reset. Forget who told me but they said static electricty builds up and closes the relay. I have a 327res fith wheel. Happy trails everyone.:)

jerseyphil
05-23-2011, 06:07 AM
Had same problem only I didnt play with the remote. Was sitting outside at night and all at once they came on. Even took the switch out of the circuit and still on. First trip out. Got back to where I store the trailer at and disconected the battery. Heard a click like a relay reset. Put cable back on the battery and the lights where out. Happen one other time. Never touched the remote. Disconected the battery and let the relay reset. Forget who told me but they said static electricty builds up and closes the relay. I have a 327res fith wheel. Happy trails everyone.:)

Thanks for the info. That must have been a freaky experience seeing the lights come on by themselves.

kenn209
05-23-2011, 06:21 AM
My remote went through the wash! So not sure if it still works!

byrdr1
05-23-2011, 09:42 AM
I had the light problem just unhooked the wire at the remote control base. Now I know what happened. I might hook it all back up and try the remote.
I thought I messed with everythign trying to turn the lights off. I have also had the two blown out lights over the sink area. bought new ones and so far no blowouts. Bought an extra two bulbs just in case. Shower nothing so far. but will keep check on that. One thing I have discovered is the TV locking latch in the living area. We arrived at last campground with the TV slide tray bouncing all around the wood work on the slide out. Beat it up good this last trip. I know it was latched as we haven't use the slide out YET? cheap design. If it happens again I will buy one of the locking latches like on the bedroom TV slideout. WE had lots of snow and rain since we bought it and I have not found any leaking water. Also my 2nd AC is just a hanging like my old popup. Haven't had to use it with any hot weather yet but I was able to fire it up Easter when I was hooked to 50a service, seemed to work well and a little loud. BUT nothing compared to the Popup days. BUT the temps were in the mid 70 to lower 80's. So the real test will be summer at Ocean Lakes.
so it's looking like the 327res is a winner.
randy

johlar
08-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks folks I noticed this issue the 2nd night I brought the new camper home. It's 11 PM and I'm running around trying to find a switch to shut off.

Finally did a search on the internet, found and joined this forum right after I found the remote and shut the light off. The mechanic doing the demo used the remote.

hankpage
08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks folks I noticed this issue the 2nd night I brought the new camper home. It's 11 PM and I'm running around trying to find a switch to shut off.

Finally did a search on the internet, found and joined this forum right after I found the remote and shut the light off. The mechanic doing the demo used the remote.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found helpful info here, Hank

jbsmith
08-23-2012, 03:03 PM

Did the same thing! Wish the remote control panel had a timer that turns the docking lights off after some pre-set period of time.

Michael Watkins
12-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Thank you that was a great help I had the same issue. I'm Feeling not so bright right now. I was ready to change the switch and pull the fuses. thank you

Hermharm
05-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Unfortunately our 2014 remote does not have docking lights as a function. Any other ideas for getting them to turn off?

JRTJH
05-16-2014, 06:45 PM
hermharm,

If your 28SGS has the same remote as my 27RKS, there are three buttongs along the top above the LED screen. From the right side moving left, the first is the power button, the middle one is the flashlight and the third one (closest to the sel button) is the docking light switch. The docking light is the LED light above the mirror on the nose cap). There's also a switch for that LED light just under the landing gear switch on the trailer front wall.

If you've got a different remote control, there still should be a switch function for the docking lights. It may be one of the selections on the LED screen, but I'd almost bet you've got the same remote as I do and it's the left button along the top.

Hermharm
05-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately our 2014 remote does not have docking lights as a function. Any other ideas for getting them to turn off?

Just figured out that docking lights on remote is not a function, but is the light bulb. Obviously this needs to be taken off remote! Thanks for all the help.

Hermharm
05-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Thanks for such a quick respond. I did figure it out.

pookie210
06-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Had the same issue ourselves. Husband disconnected wires at the rocker switch under the fifth wheel before we realized the little button existed on the remote. Apparently he hit it while using the remote earlier in the day and was no where near the light at the time thus not realizing it was turned on. Someone mentioned a timer, which is a fantastic idea to avoid a drained battery.

sportingrh
07-15-2017, 02:44 PM
I just bought a 2018 cougar 28rks my docking lite stays on and no function on light on remote at all everything else works with remote.dealer said that had it fixed before I left well they didn't,any ideas

Javi
07-15-2017, 03:00 PM
I just bought a 2018 cougar 28rks my docking lite stays on and no function on light on remote at all everything else works with remote.dealer said that had it fixed before I left well they didn't,any ideasGet remote in hand... stand in front of 5th wheel looking at the light... facing the light, look to the right and just below the deck... should be an oval light fixture and a toggle switch not on the light fixture.... flip that switch and see what happens...

Also, when you push the button to turn the remote on... look at the bottom of the keypad and is there a key with a light bulb on it... push that button and look at the light...

Javi

sportingrh
07-15-2017, 03:13 PM
Nothing happens fixing to take to dealer but they said they didn't know

Travler
08-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Been there done that also... almost rewired the lights..Until someone here said something..DUH..This is a great place to find info on everything.

sportingrh
08-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Well dealer says it was wired wrong. The light feature only control docking light they do not tt back yet.