PDA

View Full Version : When checking out used Trailers, what are your finds

CrazyCain
04-14-2017, 04:22 AM
Back last fall when the DW and I were just starting to consider upgrading from a pop up to a TT, we stopped by a "Major" RV center in our area to look at a used 18' they had on the their lot. The sales guy was hyping this TT up, treating us like royalty. Drove us out to the trailer on a golf cart. Keep saying how the previous owner kept it in immaculate shape.. Walked into it and saw the blinds over the bed were twisted..:eek:, inside of rig smelled funny though..As i was checking stuff out, DW calls me back to the rear living area and asked me what is this?? :danger::danger: HUM, long story short, the whole back corner behind the couch, all the way down to the floor was rotted out. Upon futher inspection on the outside, you could see where they "attemped" to patch the corner on the outside and hide it. I said, "there is water damage and rotted flooring". Trailer guy says "OH, Nobody even noticed that", I will have to tell my service manager about that, here let me show you a few other ones on the lot.. :nonono: I said, SEE YA!!!!!!!!! Good catch by the DW!!

JRTJH
04-14-2017, 08:20 AM
I can almost guess which dealership that happened to be. Unfortunately, there's enough people looking for RV's that don't have any experience, they will probably sell that trailer for a premium and when the new owner brings it back, they'll make more money from the repairs..... Thankfully, it didn't happen to you, but somebody will be left "holding the rotten floor"....:facepalm:

chuckster57
04-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Good catch!! one of many reasons I walked away from a previous employer, Couldn't in all good faith work on a POS and be part of the sales process. On one unit had to tell the detail guys NOT to get on the roof, only thing holding it together was the rotting membrane. :facepalm:

CrazyCain
04-14-2017, 09:48 AM
I can almost guess which dealership that happened to be. Unfortunately, there's enough people looking for RV's that don't have any experience, they will probably sell that trailer for a premium and when the new owner brings it back, they'll make more money from the repairs..... Thankfully, it didn't happen to you, but somebody will be left "holding the rotten floor"....:facepalm:

Yep, im sure you know who I am talking about, The "MAJOR" was a little hint...:lol: won't ever go there again WAY to big of a dealer, can't stand even driving by it.....Sad thing is that the trailer stayed on the web site for a few more weeks and then it was gone...so yes, some poor inexperienced soul bought it......My dealer is now in Grand Rapids..2+ hrs instead away instead of 15 mins away.. :whistling::popcorn:

CrazyCain
04-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Good catch!! one of many reasons I walked away from a previous employer, Couldn't in all good faith work on a POS and be part of the sales process. On one unit had to tell the detail guys NOT to get on the roof, only thing holding it together was the rotting membrane. :facepalm:

That is sad isn't it.. I could never be that dishonest and sell a POS to mostly honest folks just looking for some fun in the sun and in the woods..I can't even sell a car of mine unless I know it is in top shape and sound.. :ermm: :popcorn:

Cbrez
04-14-2017, 01:01 PM
Tom, to answer your your question, what we found when we went looking for used trailers is that we bought a new one. We looked for two years before buying new, having never intended to do so. Friends got a great deal on a well kept used 5er. We just couldn't find one. I was continually amazed at how the dealers did nothing to clean up the used rigs. At least car dealers make you think your car engine is pristine before you drive it off the lot and throw a rod :)

CrazyCain
04-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Tom, to answer your your question, what we found when we went looking for used trailers is that we bought a new one. We looked for two years before buying new, having never intended to do so. Friends got a great deal on a well kept used 5er. We just couldn't find one. I was continually amazed at how the dealers did nothing to clean up the used rigs. At least car dealers make you think your car engine is pristine before you drive it off the lot and throw a rod :)

Steve, that is exactly what we ended up doing. Everything we looked at was pretty much junk, with High pressure sales people.. Even private owners tried to cover things, smells always tipped us off.. :popcorn:

Cbrez
04-14-2017, 01:28 PM
Steve, that is exactly what we ended up doing. Everything we looked at was pretty much junk, with High pressure sales people.. Even private owners tried to cover things, smells always tipped us off.. :popcorn:

Too funny. I thought it was just us. This must be a sales tactic to keep sales up for the new rigs. Makes sense now :facepalm:

chuckster57
04-14-2017, 01:36 PM
All 4 of my trailers were purchased new. Only used RV was a slide in camper that Was adequate when the kids were toddlers.

Ruko
04-14-2017, 02:07 PM
We recently purchased our second toy hauler, this one is now a 5th wheel. Our first one was 4 years old when we got it and it was awesome for the 4 years we had it. It did have a few minor issues at first but we fixed them up without too much effort. I think that is the case no matter what you get new or used. When we picked that one up we got it for less than half the price of new. I know brand new is nice but I can't imagine it is twice as nice.

When we picked up our latest one we were originally looking at new ones. This one popped up and we couldn't pass on it. Everything about it looked better than the new ones at the dealers. I was actually pretty disappointed with the dealers and we went to lots of them. There were many glaring issues with many of their units which they all said would be addressed after purchase. I can't believe they didn't have them all in showroom condition before showing them, especially for the amount they were asking for them. I guess I just expected too much as pretty much all the dealers we looked at were the same. The one we ended up getting was 3 years old but looked better then the new ones on the lots. I found 1 very minor issue with it that is hardly worth mentioning. The previous owners had all their maintenance records and while there was minor issues with it originally they seem to have all been addressed during the first year under warranty. We again feel we got a great deal as one of the local dealers has the identical trailer but they are asking almost 30k more than we paid.

I completely understand buying new and knowing no one else has tried to pull a fast one and cover up issues however from what I saw that is no different than the dealers. I think if you do a thorough enough inspection there are great deals to be had on well maintained used units. Time will tell on our newest one but our last one turned out great.

CrazyCain
04-14-2017, 02:14 PM
I always baulked when looking at private sellers garbage when they would say " NO KNOW LEAKS" Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I asked one guy if i could take alook at the roof, "Oh, i dont have a ladder handy" Bu buy!!!!

:censored::trash::trash:

busterbrown
04-14-2017, 03:34 PM
2 years ago (exactly 1 year before buying our 2016 Bullet), my wife and I had wanted to buy a used coach as our first in order to lessen any unforeseen buyer's remorse. We looked at a few private party preowned units that were local to us. I realized then that many owners have their blinders on when it comes to and RV's condition and valuation.

Units were advertised "like new" and such. But when we did our walkthroughs, it was obvious that they just needed foot traffic. Some units smelled like wet dog, while others had suspicious water stains on walls or flooring. All the while, owners would explain that their asking price was "way below" the listed NADA.

I think many owners selling "newer" used units are attempting to minimize their losses as they originally financed over extended terms (10+ years), have made very little progress in repayment on their loans, and have watched their asset depreciate dramatically over the short time they owned it.

The DW and I decided after that summer that we would look for an affordable "brand new" unit to begin our RV journey in. Glad we choose this route as I know each mile under my trailer's chassis.

ctbruce
04-16-2017, 06:06 AM
Bottom line: buyer beware! Can't be stressed enough. Too many times I have read on here where a newbie couple has done zero research, zero preparation, and had zero clue what they were doing and then wind up here crying and in a terrible pickle. At that point it is too late to do anything about that great deal that is such a disappointment. Biggest problem, IMHO, is that folks equate car dealerships with RV dealerships.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

66joej
04-16-2017, 06:36 AM
Up here we use Kijiji as a selling post. Saw one just yesterday. Owner was selling a 2007 Cougar 5er that he said was bought new and moved from the dealer's lot to their lot by the lake 50 miles away and has not moved. So the ad said among other things "tires are still in new condition". 10 years old? An inexperienced buyer would say great don't have to worry about tires.:eek:

CrazyCain
04-16-2017, 08:25 AM
Up here we use Kijiji as a selling post. Saw one just yesterday. Owner was selling a 2007 Cougar 5er that he said was bought new and moved from the dealer's lot to their lot by the lake 50 miles away and has not moved. So the ad said among other things "tires are still in new condition". 10 years old? An inexperienced buyer would say great don't have to worry about tires.:eek:

WOW!!!! :hide: :(

Tbos
04-16-2017, 01:17 PM
I saw an add today for a 1999 5er for $5800. The seller says don't try to low ball him it's not a POS. That makes me suspicious to start out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sourdough
04-16-2017, 01:30 PM
I saw an add today for a 1999 5er for $5800. The seller says don't try to low ball him it's not a POS. That makes me suspicious to start out.

An 18 year old RV for $5800? I didn't know they held together that long. Isn't there an expiration date or something on the placard on the side??:D

chuckster57
04-16-2017, 01:33 PM
I sold my '97 Jayco in 2012. And it was in very good shape. Again it depends on owner care/ maintance.

busterbrown
04-16-2017, 02:22 PM
I sold my '97 Jayco in 2012. And it was in very good shape. Again it depends on owner care/ maintance.

Finding used units like yours is a rarity. Occasional I'll see a CL ad that has a older model well taken care of. They are usually 1 owner RV's and have been stored inside. Someone I work with just bought a 2004 pull behind for $6,000. Stored in a pole barn for it's entire service life and owned by an older couple. Sided exterior looked like a late model with the interior only showing its date from the trim and color scheme.

She's been picking my brains as she knows it was a great find. Told her that her first order of business is to look at the tire's DOT date code and replace as necessary / recommended. Second is to do a roof inspection with sealant in hand.

Tbos
04-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Very true. The pictures actually make it look like it might have been well maintained. I was just put off by the way the seller is coming across.