PDA

View Full Version : Roof tear

Bolo4u
04-12-2017, 08:13 PM
I did a search and didn't find an answer similar to my issue.

5r: 2016 Cougar 333MKS, setup in an RV park in the northern Sierra Nevadas, and several branches of a nearby pine tree overhang the trailer. The other day, while looking at the roof for accumulated debris, I noticed a small (approximately 3/8 inch) tear/cut along the radius edge of the roof, in the rear 1/3 of the trailer. The tear is perpendicular to the radius, where it curves from the top to the side. The trailer has been parked in the same spot since I picked it up from the dealer when purchased. The tear may have been there when we picked it up, or it may have been caused by a falling pine tree. It looks like it is possibly though the membrane, but i don't want to monkey with it to try and find out.

I don't see anyone who sells a small squeeze tube of the dicor material, and I'd prefer to not use the generic repair tape. The roof is tan colored and any other color would stand out.

Has anyone here used any of the Flex-Seal type spray-on rubber sealant? Im thinking of the clear spray on they sell.

Since winter seems to be never-ending up there, I don't have the ability to do any patching on a "warm" day. Ideas???

chuckster57
04-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Dicor comes in Tan, so it will match the membrane color. Eternabond tape isn't what I would call generic tape. I wouldn't use any flex-seal type product as it may cause an adverse reaction to the membrane causing a major issue.

Bolo4u
04-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Dicor comes in Tan, so it will match the membrane color. Eternabond tape isn't what I would call generic tape. I wouldn't use any flex-seal type product as it may cause an adverse reaction to the membrane causing a major issue.

Thanks Chuckster, Is my only option to purchase a full size tube of the Dicor, or do they sell it in smaller sizes? If i have to get a full size, since i only need such a small amount, will the opened tube store for a long time if properly sealed?

ctbruce
04-13-2017, 01:33 AM
I would be using the eternabond tape on any roof tear as first choice in repair. It is about sealing the membrane from water intrusion and damage , not looks, at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

chuckster57
04-13-2017, 02:47 AM
We use tape to seal the end, and I have tubes that have lasted months. Someone suggested sealing the end and storing in the refer.
A full tube is less than $20.00 so I wouldn't consider it a waste of money.

JRTJH
04-13-2017, 08:44 AM
On a 2016 trailer, it's time to get on the roof and spend some time "critically" inspecting the sealant around everything that is mounted on the roof. I'm 100% confident that you'll find DICOR sealant voids in several places. There will be gaps, scrapes, pulled away places in the sealant in more places than you'd imagine. Then, there's the molding that seals the front cap/TPO roofing and the molding that seals the rear wall/TPO roofing. Don't forget to check all the screws in the TV antenna, the "little rubber co-ax cap" on the antenna and the screws that hold the refrigerator top vent in place.

Last I checked, a 14 ounce tube of DICOR self-leveling sealant was $8.95 at the local RV dealership. It'll probably cost you more in gas/diesel to drive there and pick it up than the cost of the tube of sealant.

If you're concerned with a possible tear in the TPO roof, $9 for a tube of sealant is "cheap insurance" against a $3000 repair job if there is a leak that's not repaired...

I use a piece of ziplock sandwich bag over the open end of the tube and cover that with an electrical twist-cap (the red ones fit well). I've stored DICOR sealant tubes in the "beer refrigerator" in the garage for 6 months and it's still been usable.

I wouldn't delay the repair and I certainly wouldn't consider using anything but "the right stuff" for the repair.

Bolo4u
04-13-2017, 09:05 AM
All very good advice, and I appreciate it. Right now I'm dealing with weather delays (both rain and snow at the ~4500 level) and cold, it might be another week or two before it warms up. What temps are better for applying dicor? I don't know if the tear is completely through the membrane or just on the surface as I don't know how thick the outer membrane is. Is there a separate layer of membrane under or is this it??

I will be sealing it regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JRTJH
04-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Go inside your trailer and remove the plastic trim ring from your bathroom roof vent. There are four #2 square head screws holding it in place. Pull straight down and it will slip out of the vent easily. On the edges of the roof vent you'll see the roofing membrane where it was cut, folded inward and stapled to the edges of the roof vent opening. You can see exactly how thick, how pliable and how easily stretched and cut. What you see there is exactly what you'll encounter anywhere on the roof. There is no "second layer" or "underliner" on a TPO roof. What you see on the surface is all that covers the OSB decking.

As for using DICOR, any temperature more than about 40*F is OK. More important than the temperature (as long as it comfortably warm for you to work) is that the roof must be dry and clean. Use alcohol and a toothbrush or similar soft bristle brush to clean the area, let it dry then apply the sealant. If the roof is damp, if it's foggy or drizzling rain, wait for another day.

Bolo4u
04-13-2017, 09:51 AM
Go inside your trailer and remove the plastic trim ring from your bathroom roof vent. There are four #2 square head screws holding it in place. Pull straight down and it will slip out of the vent easily. On the edges of the roof vent you'll see the roofing membrane where it was cut, folded inward and stapled to the edges of the roof vent opening. You can see exactly how thick, how pliable and how easily stretched and cut. What you see there is exactly what you'll encounter anywhere on the roof. There is no "second layer" or "underliner" on a TPO roof. What you see on the surface is all that covers the OSB decking.

As for using DICOR, any temperature more than about 40*F is OK. More important than the temperature (as long as it comfortably warm for you to work) is that the roof must be dry and clean. Use alcohol and a toothbrush or similar soft bristle brush to clean the area, let it dry then apply the sealant. If the roof is damp, if it's foggy or drizzling rain, wait for another day.

Excellent! Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NorskeBob
04-14-2017, 04:56 AM
Eternabond tape - have used it - last for years on a rubber roof. I had a similar problem covered the cut as soon as it happened. I used the white backed.