PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Turn signal question

Carl
04-11-2017, 03:50 PM
The turn signals on my trailer work opposite to the turn signals on my tow vehicle. The right turn signal on the trailer comes on when I turn on the left signal in my tow vehicle and vice versa.i took a picture of the wiring in the junction box. Can someone please tell me which wires need to be changed?

sourdough
04-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I don't know which wires to change based on color. You can take a voltmeter, turn on one of the turn signals and then read the different leads to find the pulsing 12vdc lead. Turn on the other blinker, find the other pulsing 12vdc. Remove both wires and reverse when you reconnect.

14george
04-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I don't know which wires to change based on color. You can take a voltmeter, turn on one of the turn signals and then read the different leads to find the pulsing 12vdc lead. Turn on the other blinker, find the other pulsing 12vdc. Remove both wires and reverse when you reconnect.

X 2 what sourdough said

spicercars
04-11-2017, 04:33 PM
From the plug in the front green is right turn and yellow is left turn. If it is wired like it is suppose to.

sourdough
04-11-2017, 04:43 PM
If it were me I would not start swapping wires until I verified exactly which ones were doing what. Might save some aggravation down the road.

Carl
04-11-2017, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all the help guys and the welcome. I'll definitely try the voltmeter. Hopefully the wires colors are correct but I don't trust it 100% at this point.

Aab
04-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Is your tow vehicle a Toyota or Nissan by chance. The older ones and maybe new ones have to have a separate converter box to concert signal or they will do just as you describe

Carl
04-11-2017, 06:46 PM
It's a 2013 GMC Yukon.

Jeepshots
04-11-2017, 08:45 PM
The turn signals on my trailer work opposite to the turn signals on my tow vehicle. The right turn signal on the trailer comes on when I turn on the left signal in my tow vehicle and vice versa.i took a picture of the wiring in the junction box. Can someone please tell me which wires need to be changed?

Hey Carl. My 2017 Bullet also had the blinkers on the wrong side. While the wiring looked okay, if they put the wrong blinker on the wrong side, there's two ways to rewire it - move the inbound wires from the vehicle side of the trailer harness, or move the wires on the trailer side of the harness. My black plastic terminal block actually had R Turn and L Turn imprinted on two of the terminals. I simply reversed the wiring on the trailer side of the terminal block.

bsmith0404
04-12-2017, 04:19 AM
From the plug in the front green is right turn and yellow is left turn. If it is wired like it is suppose to.

This is correct. When I was transporting, I had this problem with one trailer. It's actually a bit more common than I expected. I made the repair in a Walmart parking lot in about 15 mins. Use a test light to verify which wires are doing what in your junction box. Once you verify which one is blinking for each side, just remove the wire from the terminal and reconnect to the correct terminal so you get the desired result at the rear of the trailer.

flybouy
04-12-2017, 06:33 AM
Here's a link that's useful http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/trailer.htm
I would check truck and trailer connections with a continuity/voltmeter to find the error and correct it. That way it will be correct no matter who towes it, and correct if you tow something else.

Carl
04-12-2017, 06:39 AM
I didn't notice anything imprinted on mine but I'll take a closer look. I'm the second owner of the trailer. The guy I bought it from didn't realize they were switched until we bought it from him and hooked up to leave with it. I'm surprised that Keystone didn't check it and even more surprised the dealer let him drive off without checking it.

BuxCamper
04-12-2017, 07:56 AM
One reason to check lights prior to pulling out of anywhere. Have had them completely not working which was due to trailer plug not being fully pushed in.

-- Mark

Desert185
04-12-2017, 10:06 AM
In my case I had a problem with the add-on plug in the bed. First the RT signal failed, then the trailer brakes became intermittent. We eventually traced it down to the wiring loom of the plug in the bed. Plugging the trailer into the truck plug down by the bumper resolved all the problems until we replaced the the bed plug and wire loom.

Something to consider should trailer light or brake functions become intermittent or fail.

Carl
04-12-2017, 05:33 PM
AaB I think you were on the right track. It turns out the previous owner first pulled it with a Toyota and there was a bundle of taped up wires underneath. Probably to make it work for the Toyota. I did manage to track it down with the voltmeter like you guys suggested and get it working correctly. Thanks for all the help:

sourdough
04-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Great! Glad you got it going.