PDA

View Full Version : Retierment Practice

ScotnBev
04-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Hi! We have had our 2015 Cougar 333MKS for 2 years now, but new to this forum. Looking forward to finding tricks, tips, mods, and RVing lore.

My Dad has been RVing for 20+ years, has ~100k miles on an Alpinlite he pulled with a 1993 Ford F250. Now that I'm 60, I'm starting to think about retirement, and the best way to prepare is to practice :). I got my truck (2014 Ford F250 diesel) and trailer earlier than planed so we can enjoy many years traveling with my Dad. So far have two 4K mile trips under our belt.

My wife is real hard core camper, likes to sleep in the dirt and loves smelling like smoke. My idea of roughing it is stepping down to 30 amps and slow internet. :lol:

Anyway, love the Cougar, love my wife and Dad, and love practicing for retirement! :cool:

notanlines
04-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Take it from us (and your dad) retirement IS all it's cracked up to be. Welcome to the forum and the practice field.

Tbos
04-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. I'm looking forward to retiring in a few years. I love the practice too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PARAPTOR
04-10-2017, 01:25 PM
:wlcm: to The Forum From western PA

Yeap retirement is as good as you have heard :dance:

Be Safe and happy Camping :camping:

thanket
04-10-2017, 01:26 PM
:campfire:I just bought that same trailer in October and haven't had the chance to even use it yet. Believe me, I am going stir crazy. Do you have any tips for using that particular trailer?

msubobcats
04-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the forum from Northeastern California. Enjoy

sourdough
04-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Take it from us (and your dad) retirement IS all it's cracked up to be. Welcome to the forum and the practice field.

^^^x2!! You can't get too much practice, and it's great to be able to go with your dad. Happy camping!!

66joej
04-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
Keep on enjoying that Cougar.
And YES retirement is good. Been retired since 1998.:whistling:

ScotnBev
04-10-2017, 06:07 PM
:campfire:I just bought that same trailer in October and haven't had the chance to even use it yet. Believe me, I am going stir crazy. Do you have any tips for using that particular trailer?

The only issue we ran into was the couch is not secured to the floor and one time got jammed by the living room slide. Had to adjust the slide to pull tight again.

One irritation is that there is no light switch by the front door and you have walk through the trailer in the dark to find one. My daughter-in-law bought me a battery powered "light switch" with an led light that is velcro to the wall by the door.

Other than that the only problem is not spending enough time in it!

Alpine
04-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Oh yes indeed, welcome to the forum! Retired almost four years ago and haven't looked back. "Full timers" the whole time and love it!

DAN d
04-11-2017, 03:43 AM
welcome to the forum practise make perfect enjoy:camping:

thanket
04-11-2017, 06:05 AM
Thank you for the information. I will make sure the couch is pushed all the way back when I close the slide. Good to know.

NorskeBob
04-12-2017, 06:35 AM
Welcome to the forum. Good place for tips and news.

Steve S
04-12-2017, 04:28 PM
I retired 8 yrs ago at the age of 42. My best advice is start getting used to the idea that if you don't get it done today there's always tomorrow as today is always filled with the things that you want to get done.:applause:

sourdough
04-12-2017, 04:52 PM
I retired 8 yrs ago at the age of 42. My best advice is start getting used to the idea that if you don't get it done today there's always tomorrow as today is always filled with the things that you want to get done.:applause:

^^^2! I retired 11 years ago. I spent my life getting up from 4-6am, getting coffee and something to eat and hit it full bore by 7am. I planned my days beforehand and that had me motivated way early.

Now, I plan my days (as best I can :) ) and get ready to hit it the next day. But, when I wake up at 6am or so my brain (body?) says what's the rush? Sooo, I curl back up and doze off for a bit. By 7am puppy comes to wake me up and let me know it's time to do "something". I drag that out a bit but she get's persistent because she wants a play friend.

Anyway, as Steve S said, all my plans for the day somehow get lost in whatever happens to be happening and things sort of........don't get done:banghead: Therefore, I have become accustomed to the idea that "if I don't get it done today I'll get it done tomorrow as today is always filled with things I want to get done".....and the night before I didn't even know what they were!! Of course, you can't forget the "power nap". When working I didn't know of that concept. NOW, I really feel shortchanged if I don't get the 45-60 minute rejuvenation; don't know how I did without it....or, maybe I didn't need it??

All that to say, when practicing for retirement, keep in mind all the new facets that will enter your life that require some....."extra time/thought" as you "work" your way through the day:)

ctbruce
04-13-2017, 01:59 AM
Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Practice makes perfect, so practice away...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DAN d
04-13-2017, 03:29 AM
welcome happy travels enjoy :campfire:

chuckster57
04-13-2017, 04:52 AM
Retirement is what you make it, enjoy!!!