PDA

View Full Version : Awning LEDs for 199ML

xunilhr
04-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Just purchased a 2016 Passport 199ML. It didn't come with LED lighting underneath the awning. Has anyone added lighting there and can you share your experience? Is there even easily accessible power to tap into?

chuckster57
04-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the forum!!

Awning LED's are usually mounted one of two ways: glued on the fabric tube or in a channel that is plastic and fits into the awning rail on the trailer. If the awning is electric, the power is normally on the front arm and enters the exterior wall near the bottom mount.

Depending on your particular model, you may be able to run the power for the LED's through the same hole and then you just have to find a 12V source.

IMO, it's more work than it's worth.

busterbrown
04-10-2017, 02:54 AM
IMO, it's more work than it's worth.

I agree. In fact, we rarely use the LED awning light on our Bullet as it's abnoxiously bright in a campground. We only use it if we're setting up camp after sunset or if we're looking for something. Otherwise, we have string lights on the awnings edge. I did buy a LED strip on Amazon (amber in color) that I will mount on the frame rail for some mood lighting and ground cover illumination. I'll probably use the passthrough's storage light as my power supply. I'll add a switch to the line too.

Tbos
04-10-2017, 07:17 AM
My 2810 didn't come with an LED strip. I bought a set of boogey lights from Amazon. They are mounted under the awning rail. I ran the power cable down the awning frame on the TT and then mounted the receiver under the side in a weather proof box with power straight from the battery. I added an additional switch to be able to cut power when needed too. The setup comes with a remote that controls the colors and brightness etc...

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

xunilhr
04-20-2017, 06:12 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I replaced the ugly yellow light at the door with an LED version and have amazing light. My wife is happy, so that's enough.

busterbrown
04-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I replaced the ugly yellow light at the door with an LED version and have amazing light. My wife is happy, so that's enough.

Glad to hear! As they say, "happy wife..."