PDA

View Full Version : second question of the day - Anode Rod

vjm1639
04-09-2017, 12:53 PM
How do you stop the leaking from where the Anode Rod screws in? Hubby has tightened it, put plumbers tape on it, put even more plumbers tape on it, re-tightened it.....and still.....drip, drip, drip

Javi
04-09-2017, 01:01 PM
How do you stop the leaking from where the Anode Rod screws in? Hubby has tightened it, put plumbers tape on it, put even more plumbers tape on it, re-tightened it.....and still.....drip, drip, drip
Could be the pressure let off, it's right above the drain hole. Either that or the rod is cross threaded.

Javi

chuckster57
04-09-2017, 01:50 PM
I don't use tape on the threads. Pipe dope is much better, rectors (white) and haven't had a leak yet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSeal-T-Plus-2-4-oz-Teflon-Pipe-Thread-Sealant-23631/100201204

hankpage
04-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Using a wire brush to clean the male and female threads first may help. (A battery post brush or 3/4" copper tubing brush makes it easy) I admit I may be anal, but I use pipe dope and tape together. I have found that pushing in on the rod hard with one thumb while turning with the other hand tends to get the threads started straight. You can feel the rod lift up in the tank when you push. Hope this helps, Hank
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1176

tmac56
06-14-2017, 04:36 PM
I have the same issue - I cannot see to get that anode rod straight onto the threads or I cant push hard enough with my thumb to keep it straight so I can thread it in.

PARAPTOR
06-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Same problem here so I use a small extension and socket to start the anode by hand. Easier to tilt/align anode in hole with ext/socket than by using fingers

bobbecky
06-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Regardless of whether tape or dope is used, the threads are tapered plumbing threads, so you may not be tightening the anode enough. Don't be afraid to really get it tight, the tank fitting will not break, so turn it more than you already are until it does not leak.

chuckster57
06-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Regardless of whether tape or dope is used, the threads are tapered plumbing threads, so you may not be tightening the anode enough. Don't be afraid to really get it tight, the tank fitting will not break, so turn it more than you already are until it does not leak.

Yup!! I use a 1/2 drive ratchet that has an extending handle and I crank 'em pretty hard.

fourfourto
06-14-2017, 06:37 PM
Dealer under forever warranty cleaned out water heater and had dripping when I got home turned it 1 full turn more, no leak :banghead:

Steve S
06-15-2017, 10:43 AM
A trick that I use to get the rod to drive straight in is to cut out a small piece of one if those 1/2" horse stall mats. I then just cut it to fit the inside of the socket. It eliminates the wobble plus it'll eliminate it from veering of on you.:)

dcg9381
06-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Good suggestion!