PDA

View Full Version : Opening slides while parked on the street

Ruko
04-09-2017, 07:12 AM
Hello everyone. We purchased a new to us Fuzion 342 in December. It is our first trailer with slides and it has 3 of them. Our winter here is ending and we will be getting ready for the season soon. So far it has been sitting in storage since we purchased it. We normally kept our previous trailer at a friends acreage and just brought it home when we were planning to use it. We do not have a long enough driveway to park it so we parked on the street in front of the house to load it and then would take off for our trip, but it had no slides. The floor plan of the new trailer is great except we cannot access the kitchen with the slides in so in order to load it up we will need to extend the slides.It is our first trailer with slides so I was not aware of how they worked and didn't know both slides extended at the same time with a single switch. In order to open the kitchen slide the living room slide is moving out into the street. I have done lots of searching but cannot find anything to say it is OK or not OK to extend the slide into the street. Common scene tells me it is not. The street is in a quiet residential area, not a busy street, however I still don't think it would not be a good idea. Is there a way to stop the living room slide from extending while still allowing the kitchen slide to open? BTW the slides in question are hydraulic.

Javi
04-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Be my guess that anyone who happens to drive down your street while you have the slides out will take exception to such... :D

chuckster57
04-09-2017, 07:28 AM
There isn't any thing about extending a slide into the street other than your going to be blocking free flow of traffic, and someone might be offended by that.

Since 1 button extends both slides, I bet they are hydraulic. If you can find the manifold by the pump, it will have two thumb screws for the slides to adjust how fast they move. A bit of playing around will determine which one is for the slide you DONT want extended. Just shut it off, do your thing and then turn it back to THE SAME NUMBER OF TURNS open.

darrylwt
04-09-2017, 07:32 AM
Hello everyone. We purchased a new to us Fuzion 342 in December. It is our first trailer with slides and it has 3 of them. Our winter here is ending and we will be getting ready for the season soon. So far it has been sitting in storage since we purchased it. We normally kept our previous trailer at a friends acreage and just brought it home when we were planning to use it. We do not have a long enough driveway to park it so we parked on the street in front of the house to load it and then would take off for our trip, but it had no slides. The floor plan of the new trailer is great except we cannot access the kitchen with the slides in so in order to load it up we will need to extend the slides.It is our first trailer with slides so I was not aware of how they worked and didn't know both slides extended at the same time with a single switch. In order to open the kitchen slide the living room slide is moving out into the street. I have done lots of searching but cannot find anything to say it is OK or not OK to extend the slide into the street. Common scene tells me it is not. The street is in a quiet residential area, not a busy street, however I still don't think it would not be a good idea. Is there a way to stop the living room slide from extending while still allowing the kitchen slide to open? BTW the slides in question are hydraulic.

Mine open individually I would pull the switch out and add a switch to work them apart there should be two sets of wires, I think you need to put a lot of orange cones out or surely someone will hit it.

Ruko
04-09-2017, 07:38 AM
There isn't any thing about extending a slide into the street other than your going to be blocking free flow of traffic, and someone might be offended by that.

Since 1 button extends both slides, I bet they are hydraulic. If you can find the manifold by the pump, it will have two thumb screws for the slides to adjust how fast they move. A bit of playing around will determine which one is for the slide you DONT want extended. Just shut it off, do your thing and then turn it back to THE SAME NUMBER OF TURNS open.

Awesome Chuckster... exactly the type of answer I was hoping to get.

Thank you very much

sourdough
04-09-2017, 07:38 AM
I would definitely be working on a solution as mentioned above so both slides won't operate at the same time. In our city there is a city ordinance prohibiting trucks, RVs etc. from parking on the curb/street. They will give you a variance if you are loading/unloading as you are but you still can't extend your slide into the street.

Ruko
04-09-2017, 08:03 AM
I would definitely be working on a solution as mentioned above so both slides won't operate at the same time. In our city there is a city ordinance prohibiting trucks, RVs etc. from parking on the curb/street. They will give you a variance if you are loading/unloading as you are but you still can't extend your slide into the street.

Here we are allowed to park in front of our residence for up to 72 hours, provided the trailer remains attached to the tow vehicle. I could not find anything mentioned in the bylaws about having the slides in or out.

I will try Chucksters solution and if it works then problem solved. :cool:

hankpage
04-09-2017, 08:08 AM
One other thing to consider is that the crown of the road may cause you to not be level enough for smooth operation of the slide. Don't force them if they bind.

66joej
04-09-2017, 08:22 AM
Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
Did you say winter was over?
All of the golf courses are open here but right now it is snowing like there's no tomorrow. Had green yesterday white grass today.
Enjoy that Fuzion.

BuxCamper
04-09-2017, 08:26 AM
If it is a multi turn valve adding some sort of market to help you align it and a note of the number of turns might be in order..

-- Mark

Ruko
04-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
Did you say winter was over?
All of the golf courses are open here but right now it is snowing like there's no tomorrow. Had green yesterday white grass today.
Enjoy that Fuzion.

Haha not quite over but getting there... my yard has been bare grass for a while but we did just get more snow a few days ago... luckily is was gone by the next day. Everything is still kind of wet so just waiting for it to dry up. We have had snow up until May long weekend though so winter is never really over until June... Welcome to Canada eh... :lol:

Ruko
04-09-2017, 08:34 AM
If it is a multi turn valve adding some sort of market to help you align it and a note of the number of turns might be in order..

-- Mark

For sure... I already thought of that. I will mark them before I do anything so I will be able to get back to the original spot.

Ken / Claudia
04-09-2017, 12:09 PM
I highly doubt there is any law written that has no slides can be extended while on the street. The laws will mention width or blocking of a lane. When you go past 8 ft wide that is the problem. In the US currently made residential streets are around 32 ft wide if made for 2 way traffic and parking on both sides. The way people drive I would suspect someone would hit the slide and some point.

Patrice
04-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Ruko, look at it this way... With the slides extended, it's like being double parked. Personally, not a good idea and I wonder if your insurance would cover if someone ran into it...
My $0.02 worth

gearhead
04-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Here in Liberty we do what we want, when we want.
Sorry, I just couldn't resist that.

Tomatoes are already golf ball sized. My son killed a coral snake last week. My sister just texted me that she is in ER with what she thinks is a broken hip. She slipped and fell by the pool running from a water moccasin. Yes, spring is here.

theeyres
04-10-2017, 07:54 PM
I guess you can't just open the slides a little bit? I'm not familiar with your type of slide but I have the same issue so when parked on our street I just open the slide far enough to get into the kitchen. I also put out a couple of those yellow traffic cones to warn people. But I always close the slide at night or when I do not need to get into the kitchen or living area.

trucker LOU
04-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Hey Ruko, A few strips of "conspicuity tape" will ad some awareness when parked in congested areas.----Lou----

Pull Toy
04-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Welcome!

Even on site, I have learned that a little extra, goes a long way with unexpected company, and uninformed visitors. Check your local "Big box store, or auto supply house for small traffic cones, and reflective tape.

When in doubt, I deploy small orange cones preferably with reflective spots to mark my slides (2' forward / 2' out). Also, I have applied permanent reflector tape " White Dots" reflector tape, to front and rear of all sliders. (The white dots are less industrial looking than DOT, and disappear during the day, but still light up, when lit- up!) They will not interfere with your weatherproofing slides. Cheap insurance!

Good Luck !!!

2014301ktmhauler
04-15-2017, 03:46 AM
Probably get ten reasons why not to do this but.......On my 342 if I just want the the fridge slide to open I just stand on the carpet of the couch slide while pushing the button. Same hydraulic principle as turning needle valves just lazier.

Ruko
04-15-2017, 08:31 AM
I actually thought of that but didn't try it... i didn't think a person's wieght would make enough difference. I will keep that in mind but will check for the valves on the manifold first.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

rhagfo
04-16-2017, 07:51 AM
Here we are allowed to park in front of our residence for up to 72 hours, provided the trailer remains attached to the tow vehicle. I could not find anything mentioned in the bylaws about having the slides in or out.

I will try Chucksters solution and if it works then problem solved. :cool:
How much room at the storage lot?
Load up at the Storage lot?
We are more fortunate than most as the space we have at the storage lot is wide enough that we can put our slides out in our space.

ctbruce
04-16-2017, 07:09 PM
I bring mine home the day before we leave and put out our curb side slide only. I have put out the street side too if necessary but wr live in a cul-de-sac so it's not an issue for us. The reflective strip on the sides seems like a very good idea to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

papi
04-16-2017, 07:49 PM
I do open the slides all the time. Same situation as yours but since you are loading you don't need to open them all the way and when you finish close them ASAP. I also turn the hazard lights on the truck so people pay attention. Never had a problem. Good luck.

socalhd
04-23-2017, 04:16 PM
We have the 342 as well. On ours the room and kitchen operate from the same switch. initially both slides release but then the kitchen slide fully extends before the living room slide goes out. We use traffic cones when parked on the street.

GT22
05-14-2017, 03:28 PM
Once you figure out which line(s) from the manifold you want to control, you could add ball valves ( yes, you would likely need to bleed the hydraulics afterwards ) then not need to play with the thumb screws each time. Just a thought.

theeyres
05-14-2017, 06:21 PM
We have only one slide that is easy to just open about a foot that lets us move back and forth. Can you not just open all three slides a little bit that lets you get by? I do that and stick an orange cone by the slide so oncoming cars will see it.

Alpine
05-14-2017, 07:48 PM
Your "manifold" may already be labeled. Here is a photo of mine...and by cracky they are correct as well! I have not had to "count turns" as they are either closed or open.

Ruko
05-14-2017, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not found the manifold yet. I have just stood on the carpet until the kitchen slide is all the way out. The couch slide moves a couple inches but not much. One day I may find the manifold but it doesn't appear to be anywhere out in the open.

canesfan
05-15-2017, 05:37 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not found the manifold yet. I have just stood on the carpet until the kitchen slide is all the way out. The couch slide moves a couple inches but not much. One day I may find the manifold but it doesn't appear to be anywhere out in the open.

They don't all come with adjustable manifolds. My last rig I had one installed at the factory as an option. Keystone wouldn't do it as an option, or so they said.