PDA

View Full Version : Brewing coffee

Jetfixer03
04-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Ok, I'm outfitting my first camper, so this is one topic that came up....coffee.
There are a thousand different opinions on what is good coffee, and a thousand more on how to make it, so there is obviously no right or wrong answers, I'm just curious what some favorite methods are out there.

Personally, my day can't kick off until I've had a big cup of nice strong coffee. We plan on boondocking mostly, so I'm not planning on even having a drip machine on board. People have been making great coffee for eons without electricity. Here are what I'd say are the most popular non-electric methods:

The ever popular italian Bialetti. You know, that aluminum octagonal job that's been around for about 80 years. It's kind of geared toward smaller expresso type cups.
The stovetop percolator. Brings back memories of your moms coffee clatch get togethers, usually the electric version, same same.
French press. I know it's been around a while too. For some reason feels too yuppified for me.
Filter in a basket pour over. Does get much simpler, not much to say about that one.
Last but not least, the one I'm leaning toward....Cowboy coffee. Dump coffee in water, boil for a few minutes, take it off the heat for a few, add a cup of cold water to make the grounds sink, done. My parent's prefered method for 60 years or so. Supposedly produces a less acidic coffee.

I like the idea of one of those old fashioned speckled porcelain pots, maybe some matching cups. Seems very camp appropriate, not to mention indestructable.

Man, I can't wait for the last of this winter weather to move on so I can have my first steaming cup outside my new camper!!

66joej
04-06-2017, 04:41 PM
We use a Kuerig 2.0. You can make it as strong or any way you desire. Only drawback is you need shore power or a genset. No mess to cleanup.

Desert185
04-06-2017, 04:46 PM
^^^Yep, Keurig. Consistent, and the wifey gets her medium strength decaf (cough) and I get strong caf. Everyone happy.

fourfourto
04-06-2017, 05:17 PM
I have a small 6 cup brewer for when there are guests.(stowed away)
my wife don't drink coffee so I use a French press makes a nice cup and there's some left for tipping off . It's easy to clean and only takes 5 minutes.

I'm using mc café now they sell a big container at walmart cheap

sourdough
04-06-2017, 05:25 PM
You don't say how you want to "brew" this coffee. Stovetop? Campfire? Coleman stove?

If I want "coffee" when camping I use the of fashioned percolator. Have for over 50 years. Hunting we always did the "cowboy" coffee but I'm not a fan of picking grounds out of my teeth, but, in the hills with nothing...you couldn't beat it.

The modern stuff; Keurig and all the clones are just like city stuff to me, and I'm a country boy. When I can't boil my coffee I will use a more modern Mr. Coffee coffee maker and it's OK, and convenient. After that, well, just give me some Folgers instant and call it a day:(

chuckster57
04-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Mr coffee here too. BUT I do have an old metal percolator for stovetop if there is a problem.

MattHelm21
04-06-2017, 05:38 PM
The most expensive method of all. A Keurig with the generator option.

JRTJH
04-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Being from Louisiana, "if it ain't Community, it ain't coffee"... One of the luxuries we've allowed for ourselves is special ordered Community Coffee. We have it shipped to us in 1 pound "bricks", 10 at a time. That usually lasts 4 to 6 months....

When camping with full hookups we use the standard "Mr Coffee" type electric drip coffee maker. When dry camping, we use the Melita Pour Over system. We have two sizes, a single cup cone that we use before the morning fishing trip and a 10 cup cone/carafe that we use for the after fishing trip breakfast coffee. Melita makes several sizes, some with thermal carafes, some with glass, some with only the cone. Essentially, just boil water, pour it over the coffee grounds in the cone and in a couple minutes, you've got a cup or a carafe of piping hot coffee.

sourdough
04-06-2017, 05:49 PM
Being from Louisiana, "if it ain't Community, it ain't coffee"... One of the luxuries we've allowed for ourselves is special ordered Community Coffee. We have it shipped to us in 1 pound "bricks", 10 at a time. That usually lasts 4 to 6 months....

When camping with full hookups we use the standard "Mr Coffee" type electric drip coffee maker. When dry camping, we use the Melita Pour Over system. We have two sizes, a single cup cone that we use before the morning fishing trip and a 10 cup cone/carafe that we use for the after fishing trip breakfast coffee. Melita makes several sizes, some with thermal carafes, some with glass, some with only the cone. Essentially, just boil water, pour it over the coffee grounds in the cone and in a couple minutes, you've got a cup or a carafe of piping hot coffee.

I'm thinking I like this. Does it used specialized coffee or just regular?

JRTJH
04-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Regular grind coffee and a #4 cone filter for the single cup cone and a #2 cone filter for the 10 cup carafe. It's the "flat cone filters" from WalMart or any grocery store, not the round "crinkled" basket filters.

bitten
04-06-2017, 06:06 PM

Community Coffee is the best!

Jetfixer03
04-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Oh no, no kuereg for me, I want to go electric free. I really like the thought of cowboy coffee in that old porcelain pot. But the gf drinks tea, so rather than boiling one pot for coffee and one for tea I think I'll go with one kettle. She can use it for tea, and I'll use it for the pour over method.

BuxCamper
04-06-2017, 06:11 PM
I'm originally from NYC/LI and though I escaped 30 years ago work now brings me back up there for almost half the year. For me coffee isn't coffee if it doesn't reach out, grab your shirt, pull you in close and say DRINK ME!

My wife doesn't like like perc'rd coffee so we use an electric drip machine when we've got electric. She'll suffer through perc'ed when we're boondocking.

A friend of ours makes cowboy coffee and man it is smooth! Rolling boil for a few minutes, off the heat and then some cold water down the spout.

-- Mark

sourdough
04-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Regular grind coffee and a #4 cone filter for the single cup cone and a #2 cone filter for the 10 cup carafe. It's the "flat cone filters" from WalMart or any grocery store, not the round "crinkled" basket filters.

Thanks!...

skane
04-06-2017, 07:10 PM
This is what we are using this year, an AeroPress. It looks weird, but trust me it's SIMPLE and makes fantastic coffee. Boil water, pour into press, press water thru filter and into cup, top off coffee with a small amount of hot water and you are done.

It all fits in a small bag and weighs less than a pound. We bought a small electric water kettle to boil the water.

I have been using it at work all winter - blows drip and Keurig coffee out of the water.

Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZjW5yb5QRKBSY

Sean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pmedic4
04-06-2017, 07:20 PM
I've used almost all of these methods when out camping with the exception of the french press, which I have used at home.

Can't give any specific reason why, but I just try different ways, depending on my mood, and when it comes to coffee I must be really moody.:ermm:

Favorite is the blue porcelain on the fire - but with basket, but the generic brew machine is quickest. Had a Keurig, it died, and couldn't see buying another $120 machine, when you can get the brew machines for $16 programmable, and seriously, it can make a single cup about a fast as a Keurig, if you count the time it takes from turning the machine on - of course, both can be set to start.

Regardless, nothing like the smell of coffee when you get up in the morning. And, if your camping by me in the morning, your welcome to bring your cup and get some fresh coffee.

Alpine
04-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Keurig. ;)

Steve S
04-06-2017, 08:33 PM
I grind my coffee beans in a hand cranked grinder. I use a percolator to brew it up in as I can use it on the stove and on the campfire. :campfire:

CrazyCain
04-07-2017, 01:23 AM
When boondocking i use either the old style stove top perculator or the Coleman grill top coffe maker..Works just like a Mr. coffee put you put on your propane stove and brew it that way..shore power, Mr. Coffee!!!! Cheers!

gearhead
04-07-2017, 02:29 AM
I'm with John. Being 1st generation out of Louisiana we use Community Café Special. Mail order from them with a discount coupon. Keurig at home, small one in both campers with the drip cones for boondocking.
I'm about to broach the subject of drip cones at home too. Seems it's something every other day with the Keurig. Change filter, clean something, or add water.

notanlines
04-07-2017, 05:03 AM
I have a new (used one time to see if it works) Coleman 10-Cup Instastart Portable Propane Coffeemaker. We bought it for our 2 month Alaska trip but always had power. I'll be glad to sell it in the original box, like I said "new" for $50.00 shipping included. PM me.
http://www.realrecreationusa.com/p/Coleman-10-cup-Instastart-Portable-Propane-Coffeemaker-110950349.html

ADQ K9
04-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Interesting.. never knew an animal like that existed you must want it gone. I will stick with the stove top Perc

Craigidyllwild
04-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Kureg...both home and on the rig.

Steve S
04-07-2017, 12:26 PM
I have a new (used one time to see if it works) Coleman 10-Cup Instastart Portable Propane Coffeemaker. We bought it for our 2 month Alaska trip but always had power. I'll be glad to sell it in the original box, like I said "new" for $50.00 shipping included. PM me.
http://www.realrecreationusa.com/p/Coleman-10-cup-Instastart-Portable-Propane-Coffeemaker-110950349.html

I wish that you lived in my city as I've always wanted one of those.:campfire:

Mandolin
04-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Nespresso Espresso maker for me (yes, it requires electricity from whatever source), Bialetti when there is no electricity available. Aeropress for the spouse, who still likes a strong cup of regular coffee. I can't drink regular coffee anymore, so I stick with my espresso (espresso is lower in acid and caffeine than coffee, plus a single shot of espresso is much smaller by volume than a cup of coffee).

Desert185
04-07-2017, 03:57 PM

We used to do this on the freighters I flew. Worked pretty good.

notanlines
04-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Mandolin, after reading your post I have determined that those in the PNW don't exactly speak the same language as the rest of the country. I'd give an even $20.00 to the charity of your choice to listen to y'all order coffee in Pascagoula, Mississippi. It'd give those folks a story to tell for ages. :D

Nitka
04-07-2017, 06:54 PM

We use this regardless in our trailer now that my espresso machine outgrew it. I consider myself a bit of a coffee snob and this is the best way I've found for my tastes. I usually try and buy a local roast (lots of coffee roasters in Oregon, it's almost as big as beer) and have them grind at the drip consistency. We bought a large carafe to keep it hot. The trick is to let the water cool a few seconds before pouring it over (boiling is actually too hot for coffee brewing) and then let a little bit absorb (it's called blooming) before slowing pouring the rest over.

sourdough
04-07-2017, 07:12 PM
We use this regardless in our trailer now that my espresso machine outgrew it. I consider myself a bit of a coffee snob and this is the best way I've found for my tastes. I usually try and buy a local roast (lots of coffee roasters in Oregon, it's almost as big as beer) and have them grind at the drip consistency. We bought a large carafe to keep it hot. The trick is to let the water cool a few seconds before pouring it over (boiling is actually too hot for coffee brewing) and then let a little bit absorb (it's called blooming) before slowing pouring the rest over.

OK, this is a little "out there" for me.:) Coffee snob? It's just a cup of something to drink....:angel:

My daughter is truly a "coffee snob" and goes to great lengths to get coffee from all over the world to grind, press etc. with all of her gadgets. Most taste pretty rough to me although she constantly tells me I'm missing something.

I was raised drinking coffee in a hunting camp. Old percolator sitting on the fire, dump in some coffee, throw in some egg shells (dad) and when done put in a bit of cold water. Sometimes it was great, sometimes it was........, but it was "coffee".

Nowadays I'm happy with an electric drip coffee maker or whatever I have at the moment to make coffee. I'm on the move; I make a cup and drink it while working or doing stuff. I don't sit and "savor" it....my daughter and wife do but for me I just "hit it and get it".

Not knocking anyone that is into coffee. From what I've experienced there IS a big difference in taste between brands, fresh ground, etc. I guess that's just something I don't worry about.....now, if you want to talk about how to cook a good steak, ribs or brisket.......that's something I DO pay attention to:bow: Happy coffee drinking to all!:flowers:

Desert185
04-08-2017, 04:41 AM
We use farm fresh eggs from time to time and they can be "crusty", if you know what I mean. Worth it for the real egg inside, but coffee sans egg shell, por fidor. :)

Robh
04-08-2017, 04:44 AM
We switched to Chemex much like the Melita unit above. And here is why. We have been basically full timing it for about 2.5 years. But last year when we went back to NY to visit our son we were both sick. Stomach issues. We had lower GI's done and both of us had Colitis. Doctor said not uncommon for travelers who drink local water.

We did drink local water but usually for cooking or coffee. We usually only drink bottled water. This bothered me for quite some time until.....we were visiting our nephew in Florida went I used their Kureg coffee maker, which we also had in the RV. Went to get the cup of coffee and noticed small ants all over the coffee maker. My nephews wife said it only happens when coffee is being made. Wait what...

Started looking on line on how to clean a Kuerig coffee maker and omg, the problems out there is hard to believe. That got me thinking, is that our problem?? So I went out to the RV and took a good look at the coffee maker. Sure enough it was disgusting. I got a strong flash light, took apart what I could and couldn't believe the growth of mass inside that maker. I ended up throwing it out. Less than 3 years old.

I'll stick with our chemex maker, simple and makes great coffee with out any bitterness!! Love it.

66joej
04-08-2017, 04:51 AM
Not to stick up for Keurig but the one we have flashes on the screen to either change water filter or run cleaning solution to sterilize. I don't work for them or have shares in the company. lol

Desert185
04-08-2017, 05:12 AM
Not to stick up for Keurig but the one we have flashes on the screen to either change water filter or run cleaning solution to sterilize. I don't work for them or have shares in the company. lol

A little maintenance goes a long way. We run white vinegar through our's every couple of months to descale it. Also use a Britta filter when at home to filter the well water (which consistently tests good for cooties and other nefarious elements). On the road, we have a basic Keurig and just use bottled water.

JRTJH
04-08-2017, 05:13 AM
Any heating element that "percolates" a liquid is making steam (or another gas). That "evaporated liquid to gas" leaves behind a certain amount of the solids that are in the water, usually on or in the chamber where the heating element is located. Whether it's the inside of the water heater, the inside of your home coffee maker or the inside of your RV refrigerator, once those solids start to build up, unless they are cleaned, the "deposits" will continue to grow until they can become a significant problem.

Think about scale on the heating element in a water heater, scale on the inside of a steam iron, or scale on the inside of the old "steam radiators" or the "growing gob of gunk" in the heating chamber of a percolator. The formation of solids during the condensation process is the main reason why an RV refrigerator needs to be level to prevent damage during use.

Most people with any organic content in their well water would be shocked to see what's growing inside their coffee pot.... Then, maybe not ??????

gkainz
04-08-2017, 05:19 AM
plain old glass percolator for the stove top, or an old porcelain percolator for the camp fire for me - had them both for over 40 years. I just about caused my Seattle based brother a heart attack when he dragged me into Starbux and I asked "Don't you have any plain old, real coffee? You know, like Folgers?"

Robh
04-08-2017, 05:22 AM
Ok left that stuff out but just setting the record straight. We did the de-scale and have Britta's on water fill and at the sink.

This has nothing to do with preventative maintenance. De-scaling has nothing to do with disinfection. You cannot disinfect a Kuerig without ruining it.

You guys need to take a good look at your Kuerig and not just the reservoir. Just gets flashlight and look around where you put the kcup. You'll get a hint of how bad it can get.

Or not...

I should also add that we rarely drink local water or use it for anything other that cooking and washing. We use bottled water unless we were caught not having any. Rare at best. Local water intake was more from being out to dinner and getting a glass of water with a meal but even that was not common.

66joej
04-08-2017, 05:42 AM
^ I wonder if Keurig knows about this problem. Nothing in the manual about how to clean the area you mention. We pay $100 each for these things up here in Canada. I think I'll contact them to see if they are aware of the problem.:confused:

chuckster57
04-08-2017, 05:51 AM
^ I wonder if Keurig knows about this problem. Nothing in the manual about how to clean the area you mention. We pay $100 each for these things up here in Canada. I think I'll contact them to see if they are aware of the problem.:confused:

We just bought a 2.0 and it came with a cleaning bulb for the spot that pierces the cups.

66joej
04-08-2017, 07:55 AM
Is that the orange/yellowish coloured plastic thing?
We wondered what it was for. Have 2 - 2.0s. Thanks

chuckster57
04-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Probably. It came in a bag and I put it in a drawer.

Mandolin
04-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Mandolin, after reading your post I have determined that those in the PNW don't exactly speak the same language as the rest of the country. I'd give an even $20.00 to the charity of your choice to listen to y'all order coffee in Pascagoula, Mississippi. It'd give those folks a story to tell for ages. :D

I wouldn't order regular coffee because I can't drink it. Why that seems to amuse you, I have no idea.

At a restaurant or coffee bar that doesn't have an espresso maker, I'd just order hot tea.

Javi
04-08-2017, 10:52 AM
I grew up with mom boiling coffee in an old speckled pot but today we use the Keurig both at home in in the trailer... I love my Community Chicory coffee and the DW uses one of the donut brands...

We do use the small single cup Keurig in the trailer because it can be emptied completely of water for storage...

B-O-B'03
04-08-2017, 02:11 PM
We use a drip coffee maker, in both the house and trailer, RO filtered water in the house and bottled water in the camper. Both coffee makers have stainless steel, vacuum, carafes and we grind dark roasted Sumatran beans from Costco.

The DW and I think it is really good coffee and friends that stay with us seem to enjoy it too.

If we are boon-docking I run the generator in the morning to make toast or english muffins and brew the coffee as well and charge the batteries.

-Brian

Desert185
04-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Ok left that stuff out but just setting the record straight. We did the de-scale and have Britta's on water fill and at the sink.

This has nothing to do with preventative maintenance. De-scaling has nothing to do with disinfection. You cannot disinfect a Kuerig without ruining it.

You guys need to take a good look at your Kuerig and not just the reservoir. Just gets flashlight and look around where you put the kcup. You'll get a hint of how bad it can get.

Or not...

I should also add that we rarely drink local water or use it for anything other that cooking and washing. We use bottled water unless we were caught not having any. Rare at best. Local water intake was more from being out to dinner and getting a glass of water with a meal but even that was not common.

Where you put the K cup is where the emphasis needs to focus. Removing the K cup after brewing so the that area can dry out is important. Bad things need warmth and moisture to grow.

For the Keurig folks, if you haven't already, try Peet's Major Dickason's blend. Peet's in general is so much better than Starbuck's...both quality and politically wise.

Richard Noble
04-08-2017, 02:25 PM
I get a pot (big one) boiling, fill a white sock with grounds and put it in the water. Strength is determined by how long it boils. Taste is determined on how long the sock was worn. Always use white unless you like colored coffee.

Richard Noble
04-08-2017, 02:25 PM
I forgot, you have to tie the top of the sock closed.

Desert185
04-08-2017, 02:30 PM
I forgot, you have to tie the top of the sock closed.

That's right. Kolorado is a pot state now. :D:hide:

66joej
04-08-2017, 02:42 PM
^^^ Good one! Both funny. :lol:

notanlines
04-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Jetfixer, did you ever imagine your thread would go this far afield? I can hardly wait for someone to ask how everyone grills, cooks, fries, microwaves or bakes their cheeseburgers.....(and I did like the one about the socks)

Desert185
04-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Jetfixer, did you ever imagine your thread would go this far afield? I can hardly wait for someone to ask how everyone grills, cooks, fries, microwaves or bakes their cheeseburgers.....(and I did like the one about the socks)

Why, on the Q, of course! :cool:

ctbruce
04-08-2017, 03:27 PM
^^^Yep, Keurig. Consistent, and the wifey gets her medium strength decaf (cough) and I get strong caf. Everyone happy.
If you could put her caf into your caf, well, that would be a thing of beautiful thing!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Wagnfixr
04-08-2017, 04:56 PM
I go simple. Boil water and dump in a Starbucks instant VIA packet. You'd never know it was instant coffee.

Jetfixer03
04-08-2017, 05:23 PM
NoI didn't. I had to laugh when i just popped in and saw the number of responses.

The gf and I did a Walmart run today to stock the new rig a bit. Rugs, towels, plates, glasses, silverware, etc. It's a start. I'm itching to get this baby on the road! I think I may gamble and dewinterize this week and do some driveway camping. :-)

chuckster57
04-08-2017, 05:43 PM
We do backyard camping..can't beat the rates LOL!!

bobbecky
04-08-2017, 07:15 PM
I installed one of these almost five years ago, and it has been great. Mounted it under the cabinet in the kitchen of our rig, and it makes good coffee and rides very well. https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-SCM2000BD-Programmable-Coffeemaker/dp/B00UL3JU8Y/ref=pd_sbs_79_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00UL3JU8Y&pd_rd_r=891TA9KT7VTN385W02EG&pd_rd_w=vZECm&pd_rd_wg=DBpsZ&psc=1&refRID=891TA9KT7VTN385W02EG

Desert185
04-08-2017, 08:24 PM
I go simple. Boil water and dump in a Starbucks instant VIA packet. You'd never know it was instant coffee.

Yes I would. Tried it. Didn't like it and SB is crossed off my list, anyway.

Desert185
04-08-2017, 08:27 PM
If you could put her caf into your caf, well, that would be a thing of beautiful thing!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Its already a beautiful thing. Let's not destroy it. ;)

Steve S
04-09-2017, 02:32 AM
I get a pot (big one) boiling, fill a white sock with grounds and put it in the water. Strength is determined by how long it boils. Taste is determined on how long the sock was worn. Always use white unless you like colored coffee.

Well if I only have a sock that's been worn for two weeks would the stink and the sweat make the coffee have a nice musty flavor to it? Would it also make it smell like the woods? This sounds like a great project for me!:whistling::scuba: