PDA

View Full Version : Blue Sky is dumping us/everyone!

brittsnbirds
04-04-2017, 05:41 AM
Just received a letter from the insurance carrier we have on our 5th wheel. Blue Sky is telling us as of May 1st, 2017 they will no longer cover RV's.

So the question is where do we go? We have USAA on everything but they don't do RV's.

I know this question has come before but I don't have the time to do a lot of research on web sites would like to hear some current recommendations for full coverage/tow etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Pat

BuxCamper
04-04-2017, 07:49 AM
We have Progressive. They didn't argue when a lawn service clipped the front corner of the camper and ripped it open.

-- Mark

sourdough
04-04-2017, 07:52 AM
Geico here and they have done a very good job.

JRTJH
04-04-2017, 08:01 AM
I also recommend Progressive. When the tree fell on our Springdale (which was 3 years old) we reported the damage and were told to choose our repair facility and that the claims adjuster would be in contact with us. We chose Camping World, where we bought the trailer, towed it there that afternoon. The adjuster called us a 9AM the next morning with approval for repairs and worked with us throughout the entire process to make sure all our questions were answered without delay. CW had several questions and found additional damage once they pulled the roof decking off the trailer. The adjuster was there within 24 hours to inspect and approve the added damage repairs with no questions asked.

They also have a "new trailer replacement" during the first 5 years of ownership. If your trailer is a total loss, they replace it (or pay the cost of replacement) for a current model, new trailer like the one lost.

There may be better insurance coverage, there may be cheaper insurance coverage, I don't know about that, but we're very well pleased with everything Progressive has done for us during that loss.

Be careful about insuring your RV through a "typical automobile policy underwriter". Many of them provide coverage, but don't include contents, don't consider it a "home" but rather a car/truck and don't have many of the provisions that you typically get with an "RV policy"..... Just read the fine print !!!!!

theeyres
04-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Liberty Mutual covers RV's, no questions asked. You will have to switch your whole auto insurance, not just the RV.

Alpine
04-04-2017, 08:08 PM
We too have "Progressive RV" out of Cleveland Ohio. Our policy states it is for "Full-Timers." This even covers the contents of our storage unit in Oregon.

craign
04-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Pat,

I don't understand why USAA won't cover your RV. When we switched house and cars last year, they also covered our camper.

Regards,
Craig

Eddie A.
04-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Just received a letter from the insurance carrier we have on our 5th wheel. Blue Sky is telling us as of May 1st, 2017 they will no longer cover RV's.

So the question is where do we go? We have USAA on everything but they don't do RV's.

I know this question has come before but I don't have the time to do a lot of research on web sites would like to hear some current recommendations for full coverage/tow etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Pat

Though USAA doesn't cover RVs directly, they offer discounted coverage through Progressive for USAA members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notanlines
04-13-2017, 02:13 AM
There you go, Britts. Eddie has your answer. However if that doesn't work out we have used Geico for more than 40 years. Great company.

JimDogs
04-13-2017, 03:45 PM
+1 on USAA providing reduced cost coverage through Progressive. And it shows on your USAA statements/web site! Haven't needed to use it yet, but I'm sure it will be as good as all of USAA's products.

Eddie A.
04-13-2017, 08:59 PM
+1 on USAA providing reduced cost coverage through Progressive. And it shows on your USAA statements/web site! Haven't needed to use it yet, but I'm sure it will be as good as all of USAA's products.

A bit off topic, but I'm a Realtor and a USAA member; we use them for all our insurances most banking and have always been treated well, but I will say that the one thing I've found that USAA is NOT great at is mortgage lending. I have had several clients have their home buying transactions botched by USAA normally requiring them to switch lenders to save the deal.

Sorry again for the off topic comment, but though an FYI was warranted [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gkainz
04-14-2017, 10:35 AM
USAA has our 5th wheel covered - nothing I see there says it's actually Progressive ...

JRTJH
04-14-2017, 04:15 PM
Insurance companies are licensed to provide specific types of coverage in each state where they do business. It may be that USAA is not "underwriting" RV insurance in a specific state, they may not be licensed to even offer a specific coverage in another state and they may "offer coverage that's underwritten by a third party in yet another state. And, they may underwrite their own policies in yet other states.

What is available from a specific company in one state may be entirely different from what they offer in an adjoining state or they may not even be able to sell coverage "next door".....

bsmith0404
04-15-2017, 05:14 AM
We've had USAA for our home and auto for 20 years and love them. Their one downfall with insurance is that they do not offer coverage for all types of vehicle, they partner with progressive for some and American Collector for others. When I was insuring my motorcycle and RV I went with GEICO because they offered better rates than the USAA partnership with Progressive. Have had to file one claim and it was fast and easy. As for American Collector, that's what USAA uses for classic cars...IMO, much better than other classic car insurance companies.

hsmunoz
04-26-2017, 07:18 PM
we too had blue sky, and went with progressive , they were basically the same price
and have had good service from progressive