PDA

View Full Version : Sewer hose quick connect?

SummitPond
03-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Age takes its toll ... I no longer seem to have the hand/wrist strength to easily couple and decouple the sewer hose pieces/parts. It is extremely difficult to turn the sewer hose to make/break connection to the discharge port on the trailer and especially to connect the extension and/or elbow that goes into the campgrounds sewage line.

I've looked in a couple of camping stores and have not found a quick disconnect. When I worked at a power plant we had hoses that had little lever-like extensions on the coupling that made for a solid connection but were easy to connect and disconnect.

Is there anything like this for trailer sewer hoses?

Thanks.

CaptnJohn
03-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Soon to be 69 and struggle to get that done as well. I've tried silicone spray, no help. One said they use Vaseline and it only collects dirt. Something to add leverage would help....

JRTJH
03-27-2017, 06:17 PM
I saw a "spanner wrench" type tool in a RV store several years ago. It was shaped like a C with a handle on one end and a lip that caught on the "nub" on the hose connector. Just a pull on the tool and the hose was connected or disconnected. If I can find it in a catalog, I'll post the location.

ADDED: That was way too easy: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=87968&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CJDQy46R-NICFVNqfgods64OGA

66joej
03-27-2017, 06:28 PM
Age takes its toll ... I no longer seem to have the hand/wrist strength to easily couple and decouple the sewer hose pieces/parts. It is extremely difficult to turn the sewer hose to make/break connection to the discharge port on the trailer and especially to connect the extension and/or elbow that goes into the campgrounds sewage line.

I've looked in a couple of camping stores and have not found a quick disconnect. When I worked at a power plant we had hoses that had little lever-like extensions on the coupling that made for a solid connection but were easy to connect and disconnect.

Is there anything like this for trailer sewer hoses?

Thanks.

I think what you are referring to are the cam-lock hoses we used to use on the fuel tankers. Don't think RV parts makers would spend the money to adapt this technology to our RVs. Good idea though.

PARAPTOR
03-27-2017, 06:34 PM
Do you think these strap wrenches would work?? comes in different sizes

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/project-pro-2-piece-strap-wrench-set-1903/9010434-p&c3ch=PLA&c3nid=9010434-P?iv_=__iv_p_1_a_214327102_g_12425515822_w_pla-284067107235_h_9005819_ii__d_c_v__n_g_x_pla_y_6201 684_f_online_o_9010434-P_z_US_i_en_j_284067107235_s__vi__&utm_source=ACQ&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_content=shoppingcampaigns&gclid=CK7a3puU-NICFZKIswodwDwAhg

chuckster57
03-27-2017, 06:36 PM
The new ('17) Sun Seekers use a sewer hose that has two locking levers like on aircraft fuel hoses. I will find the brand and try to post a pic in the morning.

Found it, made by lippert:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=82180&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CPb5nqiV-NICFQ9EfgodtA4DWA

vampress_me
03-27-2017, 08:09 PM
The WasteMaster camlock hose is what I think we're going to have to get and try this spring. We have one stubborn twist-on connection that neither of us can undo and hubby's Parkinson's is only going to make his hand strength worse. So I've been eyeballing that all winter, just not real sure I like the head nozzle piece. It looks way too big to fit in our fence post storage. I'm think of getting the extension kit and fittings to use it with our red screw-in end (campground septic end). And on the other end I'm waiting to get the camper out of storage to see how much clearance I have for the clear elbow and a camlock fitting.

Long story short. If someone gets this and tries it before us, please report in on how you like it.

ctbruce
03-28-2017, 02:52 AM
One would think that there is a market for adaptable parts for folks. May be an opportunity for someone to fill that void and start designing/making them....

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

notanlines
03-28-2017, 03:25 AM
I didn't realize this stuff was made, but the Lippert hose looks just like what you need, Lynette. We'll ignore the idea that complete it will run about $200 or better.

xrated
03-28-2017, 03:40 AM
ctbruce wrote:
May be an opportunity for someone to fill that void

Nice choice of words there......especially in a sewer hose thread! :D

Seriously though, I would think an appropriate size strap wrench would do the job....or even something like this oil filter wrench....

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5866-12-Inch-Filter-Pliers/dp/B000NPR33O/ref=pd_bxgy_469_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000NPR33O&pd_rd_r=K409AF3MBZWAP7AFSM0B&pd_rd_w=VTM8h&pd_rd_wg=RYak8&psc=1&refRID=K409AF3MBZWAP7AFSM0B

xrated
03-28-2017, 03:47 AM
The bad part about the Lippert hose setup is that you have to cut off the for nubs on your existing sewer connection and glue on their proprietary fitting, rendering your sewer connection useless if something happens/breaks with the Lippert stuff. Until there is an adapter available, that would be a solid No Go for me.

chuckster57
03-28-2017, 04:21 AM
There is an adaptor for using bayonet style hoses on that set up.

JRTJH
03-28-2017, 04:42 AM
Here's the simplest solution, built by CAMCO, found at WalMart, Camping World and most RV dealers, even in "tiny town".....

Usually sold in pairs, use one on the trailer connector or on the campground fitting, use two on "inline" hose fittings.

SummitPond
03-28-2017, 05:00 AM
ADDED: That was way too easy: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=87968&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CJDQy46R-NICFVNqfgods64OGA

All

Thank you for your ideas and links. I'm going to try John's idea first as it is the most cost effective. The Lippert connection seems to be on the idea of what I was discussing; I wish they made just the connector to interface to the existing twist-on nozzle. I have to pop into CW to get a thermal cutoff "switch" for my water heater - it fried this weekend; hopefully the Rhino wrench is in stock.

geobet
03-28-2017, 07:55 AM
I use the one referenced by JRTJH above. Works great for a 70+ like me with arthritis in the wrist.

sourdough
03-28-2017, 08:06 AM
You know, I may have come upon something that would be of benefit. We were just cleaning out my MILs house due to her death and I found a tool I had given her many years ago when she started having hand strength problems (we're getting there as well). It's a Craftsman Multi-Use Strap Wrench, part number 45530 (it has a small underlined 9 in front of that so that may be part of the number as well).

I just googled this wrench and they still make it but not nearly as stout as the one I have. Looks like it still may do the job. The link is for buying 2 sizes together. Looks like they do sell the smaller one by itself but the larger is probably what is needed.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-piece-16inch-rubber-strap-wrench-set/p-00945570000P?rrec=true

Whoops! Didn't see John's post. It may be a better idea.

xrated
03-28-2017, 08:50 AM
The one that John posted the link to, only has two reviews, and they are both horrible. Looks like a good idea, but not so much on the execution of the idea....weak and flimsy.

vampress_me
03-28-2017, 07:51 PM
I didn't realize this stuff was made, but the Lippert hose looks just like what you need, Lynette. We'll ignore the idea that complete it will run about $200 or better.

That's exactly why I said if anyone else gets it to report in how it works. Not real sure I want to be the guinea pig with that expense in "just" a sewer hose. :D

Last summer we bought the wrench John was talking about from our Camping World. Thought it looked like a great idea, but I couldn't get it to work on our hose for the life of me. Apparently the 10 IQ point rule didn't work for me this time. And I'm the usual handyman around this house when it comes to fixing or working on most things.

I am eyeballing the Craftsman wrench Sourdough linked to. That may have possibilities....and isn't $200! :)

sourdough
03-29-2017, 08:30 AM
You know, I may have come upon something that would be of benefit. We were just cleaning out my MILs house due to her death and I found a tool I had given her many years ago when she started having hand strength problems (we're getting there as well). It's a Craftsman Multi-Use Strap Wrench, part number 45530 (it has a small underlined 9 in front of that so that may be part of the number as well).

I just googled this wrench and they still make it but not nearly as stout as the one I have. Looks like it still may do the job. The link is for buying 2 sizes together. Looks like they do sell the smaller one by itself but the larger is probably what is needed.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-piece-16inch-rubber-strap-wrench-set/p-00945570000P?rrec=true

Whoops! Didn't see John's post. It may be a better idea.

I looked this up and the part number is 9-45530 and it looks like the smaller tool. I haven't found the larger one sold alone and I think it will be the one needed.

PARAPTOR
03-29-2017, 09:27 AM
As identified in post #5 these come in different sizes and brands, For now when I have trouble getting connections off the output sewer terminal these strap wrenches have worked for me. As I get older who knows :banghead:

Dave W
03-29-2017, 09:33 AM
I just ordered the Camco wrench set that John mentioned. If you read through the write up on AMAZON they say they work with the Camco Rhino Flex fittings along with their Revolution and hint that other brand hose fittings can be disassembled as well. I have some Revolution hoses though one length is leaking along with a new Rhino Flex system. The Amazon reviews say they work anywhere from great to being a piece of junk.

I also looked at the Valterra JR version and those reviews were pretty bad.

If they turn out to be junk --- $12 bucks wont hurt too bad (they went up in price today:eek:) and will join that big box of 'stuff' left over from 40+ years of owning RVs.

Webefulltime
03-29-2017, 11:12 AM
The new ('17) Sun Seekers use a sewer hose that has two locking levers like on aircraft fuel hoses. I will find the brand and try to post a pic in the morning.

Found it, made by lippert:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=82180&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CPb5nqiV-NICFQ9EfgodtA4DWA

During my years of trucking I used this type connection on tankers to deliver diesel, chemicals, liquid oxygen, etc. This makes for a very good connection but please know they were made from metal not plastic like these and they sometimes took substantial strength in the hands/fingers to connect or disconnect.

SummitPond
03-30-2017, 03:09 PM
I'm with Dave W; a small investment if it works well (or even slightly well, as what I'm doing now with my bare hands varies! http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif)

I got the local CW to honor the on-line price; they wanted to charge $9 versus the $6.82 on their web page.

Todd727
03-30-2017, 07:00 PM
I'm with Dave W; a small investment if it works well (or even slightly well, as what I'm doing now with my bare hands varies! http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif)

I got the local CW to honor the on-line price; they wanted to charge $9 versus the $6.82 on their web page.

Of course, they could have let you order it and pay the $8 in shipping. :lol:

Steve S
03-31-2017, 08:11 PM
Do you think these strap wrenches would work?? comes in different sizes

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/project-pro-2-piece-strap-wrench-set-1903/9010434-p&c3ch=PLA&c3nid=9010434-P?iv_=__iv_p_1_a_214327102_g_12425515822_w_pla-284067107235_h_9005819_ii__d_c_v__n_g_x_pla_y_6201 684_f_online_o_9010434-P_z_US_i_en_j_284067107235_s__vi__&utm_source=ACQ&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_content=shoppingcampaigns&gclid=CK7a3puU-NICFZKIswodwDwAhg

I have to admit that I use one of these in the kitchen for opening jars. It sure is less painful and less swearing then trying to open jars with my hands.:bow:

Dave W
04-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Update on my freshly arrived Camco Sewer Fitting wrenches.

Let the buyer beware!!

On the tie wrapped shipping 'device' there are the words "Disconnect any sewer fitting with ease!"*

Notice the asterisk - as in the fine print and carefully located under the wrenches it says "Works with any bayonet or lug Rhino, Revolution or Easy Slip Fitting".

Now, with that said, will it work on Valterra or other fittings too? At this writing, nary a clue as I can't get to the tub of hoses and fittings, including some Valterra, due to a fresh snow pile, but suspect they will work.

BuxCamper
04-01-2017, 05:12 PM
I'm going to watch this thread. Even some of us younger RV'ers have had trouble with the sewer hose disconnects. Maybe it's because I didn't want to kneel in dirt or mud or I was just too tired but more than once I've fought to put a sewer fitting on or take it off.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk