PDA

View Full Version : Who do you trust to change tires

CrazyCain
03-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Looking ot replace my Kenda Load Star tires with some Carisle tires on my 2017 Hideout 177LHS. They have maybe 500mile s on them and been reading all kinds of horror stories about this type of tire (ST P205 75 R14)..Dont know the date they were made, trailer is 150 miles away.. Two thoughts, are they as bad a SOME people say and whom do you trust to jack your trailer up the right way and change out your tires??????

:eek::cool:

chuckster57
03-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Last time I needed tires, I jacked it up and took the wheels in. 36 1/2 feet doesn't fit in the parking lot :eek:

As long as you are there you should be able to instruct them on where to place the jack.

Tbos
03-26-2017, 11:01 AM
I was looking at the new tires I had mounted last season at Mr Tire. I noticed the yellow dots were not lined up with the valve stems. They balanced them and while I said they needed to be done lug centric I'm not sure they did it that way. So I'm now debating about taking it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rhagfo
03-26-2017, 11:26 AM
I took our 32' 5er tow local Discount Tire store. Made sure they jacked at the spring U bolts.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_230051_0_b58e2e50f880e5f54971ded355638284.jpg

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_230051_1_bee4384bad33989e19cfabb93f1d0336.jpg

PARAPTOR
03-26-2017, 11:35 AM
Last time I needed tires, I jacked it up and took the wheels in. 36 1/2 feet doesn't fit in the parking lot :eek:

As long as you are there you should be able to instruct them on where to place the jack.

x2....... getting the Raptor in and then out of :facepalm: my guys local tire shop lot would say the least be interesting :banghead: It was only a couple miles away so I took them in, less of a headache, have enough problems

canesfan
03-27-2017, 06:51 AM
I am just going through this and had to find a different place than last time. I don't have the resources to take them off and carry them in so I had to 1. Find a place I can get in and out of and 2. Knew how and had the equipment to work on something heavy. Did a lot of searching and reading reviews and narrowed it down to a few places within an hour or so. One was out by the water and seemed to work on a lot of trucks and boat trailers. The other was a tire only shop over by the Interstate and does a lot of road service for GoodSam, Allstate, etc and everytime I go by there they always had several big trucks in the lot having tires done. Been around forever and when I called them to ask about things I could tell he knew what he was talking about. Many very good reviews from RVers about their service. So they get the job. Plus the "boat" place was an hour the wrong direction of where I am heading.

xrated
03-27-2017, 08:29 AM
I had my new Maxxis 8008 tires installed at my local Tire Discount store. I did a drive by first in my car, checking to see how much room I was going to have for the truck and trailer (about 56 feet long total). As it turns out, it was a little tight, but manageable. I also supervised the location of the jack placement. Their original plan was to use 4 jacks and have the entire trailer off the ground ( all for wheels at the same time), but I nixed that idea and had them do one side at a time.

rhagfo
03-27-2017, 10:10 AM
I had my new Maxxis 8008 tires installed at my local Tire Discount store. I did a drive by first in my car, checking to see how much room I was going to have for the truck and trailer (about 56 feet long total). As it turns out, it was a little tight, but manageable. I also supervised the location of the jack placement. Their original plan was to use 4 jacks and have the entire trailer off the ground ( all for wheels at the same time), but I nixed that idea and had them do one side at a time.

Why would it make a difference to have one side or both sides up??

The guys at Discount Tire put four 3.5 TON under my 5er, no issues.

Pictures above.

xrated
03-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Why would it make a difference to have one side or both sides up??

The guys at Discount Tire put four 3.5 TON under my 5er, no issues.

Pictures above.
It probably wouldn't, but it made me feel better. :D

dcg9381
03-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Might narrow it to who "will" change the tires on a trailer - lots of places wont. Around here, NTB, Costco, Walmart, none of them would mess with removing tires from the trailer, had to take them in myself...

Discount Tire seems to have a better reputation than the list above, but that's around here..

JRTJH
03-27-2017, 01:02 PM
It's not just where dcg9381 lives. Many places (maybe even most places) that won't work on trailers also won't have the appropriate equipment to "reliably" balance lug centric wheels. So, if some place "doesn't do that" and suggest you remove your wheels and bring them in, you might be prompted to ask the next question: "Can you balance lug centric wheels?".... if you get a delay before the answer, that might be the answer you're looking for..... I'd be inclined to "move on down the list" of places to drag my trailer......

CrazyCain
04-17-2017, 02:22 PM
It's not just where dcg9381 lives. Many places (maybe even most places) that won't work on trailers also won't have the appropriate equipment to "reliably" balance lug centric wheels. So, if some place "doesn't do that" and suggest you remove your wheels and bring them in, you might be prompted to ask the next question: "Can you balance lug centric wheels?".... if you get a delay before the answer, that might be the answer you're looking for..... I'd be inclined to "move on down the list" of places to drag my trailer......

What are Lug Centric Wheels and how do i know if I have them.. Maybe just the big rigs do???

busterbrown
04-17-2017, 02:32 PM
What are Lug Centric Wheels and how do i know if I have them.. Maybe just the big rigs do???

Most trailer wheels are lug centric, which means they are balanced and mounted on the lugs of the axle, not on the hub of the axle, the way in which traditional passenger vehicle wheels are mounted and balanced.

Special adapters on a tire shop's balancer are required for lug centric wheels.

CrazyCain
04-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Most trailer wheels are lug centric, which means they are balanced and mounted on the lugs of the axle, not on the hub of the axle, the way in which traditional passenger vehicle wheels are mounted and balanced.

Special adapters on a tire shop's balancer are required for lug centric wheels.

So taking the wheels and tires off my self to get new ones put on at the discount tire store will not affect the balance right?

66joej
04-17-2017, 04:26 PM
If I understand your question. no.
When the new tires are installed and balanced on your wheels they can be put on any location on the TT axles.

CrazyCain
04-17-2017, 04:47 PM
If I understand your question. no.
When the new tires are installed and balanced on your wheels they can be put on any location on the TT axles.

You understood correctly. Thank you

theeyres
04-17-2017, 08:30 PM
I've owner various rv's for 40 years. Whenever I've needed tires I've taken whatever RV I had at the time to whatever reputable tire store and gotten the tires. I've never had a problem, always gotten way I paid for and never worried about how they jacked up the RV. Maybe we over think these things?

JRTJH
04-18-2017, 06:36 AM
I've owner various rv's for 40 years. Whenever I've needed tires I've taken whatever RV I had at the time to whatever reputable tire store and gotten the tires. I've never had a problem, always gotten way I paid for and never worried about how they jacked up the RV. Maybe we over think these things?

I have the same thoughts every time I see a thread asking, "How do I jack my trailer?"... We, as humans, have a unique ability to make even the simple things far more complex than necessary, usually only to make things harder for ourselves. In almost 50 years of towing or hauling RV's, I've never had any axle damage from jacking a trailer. Come to think of it, except for my own "stupidity" for deciding not to grease bearings before a long trip, I've never had any axle damage at all.

Now, no need to reflect on damage caused by Chinese "may-pops", but that's an entirely different topic......

RLM5150
04-18-2017, 07:51 PM
I'm very picky about where I will do business. For tires, I have a place I've done business forever and don't want to go anywhere else. There was no way I was going to get the trailer into their lot and back out onto the road safely. So I just took them off myself and carried two at a time in to have our new Maxxis tires installed. It's a good thing I did this myself. I noticed that one of the wheels has not function brakes. I'm getting that into the dealer in a week or so, one day before the warranty ends.

sourdough
04-18-2017, 08:31 PM
I'm very picky about where I will do business. For tires, I have a place I've done business forever and don't want to go anywhere else. There was no way I was going to get the trailer into their lot and back out onto the road safely. So I just took them off myself and carried two at a time in to have our new Maxxis tires installed. It's a good thing I did this myself. I noticed that one of the wheels has not function brakes. I'm getting that into the dealer in a week or so, one day before the warranty ends.

Just a note to this post. I was always that way - doing business with a tire store I had done business with for decades. Then, pop decides he's going to semi retire. Puts son in charge. Pop was a stickler; made the business from the ground up. Knew every single person by name and what they needed/wanted. He grew old and went into a sort of "standby" capacity. Son took over, then son in law stepped in as asst. mgr. Lots of people go there now, and always have, but things are not the same.

I bought a new Hummer that the dealer could not, repeat could not, make the tires run smooth. I told them, after 5 visits, just stop, I have a guy that will fix this....and they did....and I told them so, congratulated them and compensated them. That was with dad.

With son I have had repeated, many repeated , efforts to try and balance my tires. 95% of the time they aren't right. When we go for a ride when I complain he says "that's not bad"!! I say " a little jitter is too much for me". Then we go to my tires are too big and they can't do 20" very well.....their machines aren't up to date? Not big enough?

I do all my business at Discount Tire now. I have to drive one hour one way to do what needs to be done but it is done right, the first time, every time.

Just a note about doing business with someone "just because". It's not always the best deal.

canesfan
04-19-2017, 06:28 AM
All you who have access to a local DT count yourselves lucky. I would have to drive at least a couple hours to get to one, one way. I live in an urban area that has EVERYTHING you could WANT but NOTHING that you NEED. It's a PIA to have to drive half an hour or more to get something. We do have a Buffalo Wild Wings, thankfully. :banghead: