PDA

View Full Version : Weigh Safe Hitches

Mikey
03-22-2017, 05:03 PM
I recently got a new TV and wanted to upgrade my hitch to take advantage of the new 2.5" receiver. I was also planning to get a tongue weight scale so I could dial in my camper for the upcoming season. I have 2 other trailers so I wanted one with adjustable heights. A friend of mine bought a Weigh Safe Hitch and I had an opportunity to check it out. Needless to say, I couldn't let him out do me! Lol! The Weigh Safe was actually cheaper than buying both a hitch and a scale separately. After it came in I tried it out. I'm really impressed with the build, and I believe this will be a great tool for all of us bumper pull folks especially. Mine's rated for up to 2200 pounds of TW, but the weight scale is good up to 3000#. I hooked the Bullet to it today and found that I was at 800# (a little shy of my target). It took no time to get a real # instead of guessing or going to the scales. And it's WAY lighter than getting my WDH head slid in. This is perfect for me because I'll move the camper for washing and such around my yard. I searched the forum for a thread on these and didn't see one, so if this has already been covered I apologize. Just wanted to let everyone in on my new discovery. Here's a pic with the Bullet hooked up.

Happy Trails and Safe Travels!
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
2015 Bullet 308BHS

Tbos
03-22-2017, 05:09 PM
That's interesting it has a scale built in. That would be really handy to do a tongue weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

66joej
03-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Mikey: Do you have a price and vendor for this rig. Looks interesting.

sourdough
03-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Does it have sway control and I'm not seeing it?

JRTJH
03-22-2017, 06:10 PM

It's my understanding that it's only a "conventional ball hitch". There is no provision to use a weight distribution system nor a sway control system. So, unless there something on the website that I missed, it is a good "information device" but can't be used to tow on the highway (for anyone who requires a WD system).

As I said, I may be missing something, but the scale is built into the "hitch/ball" part of the assembly and if you used the shank for your conventional hitch, you wouldn't have the scale portion and if you used the scale portion, you can't also install the WD head.

Mikey
03-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Mikey: Do you have a price and vendor for this rig. Looks interesting.
I ordered through E-Trailer and the price was about $300.

2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
2015 Bullet 308BHS

sourdough
03-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Does that hitch have weight distribution and sway control or just a weight measurement? If it doesn't have WD and sway control you should only use it, at times, to measure your tongue weight....not to take off on a trip..IMO.

Mikey
03-22-2017, 07:57 PM
JRTJH is correct. There is no WD or sway control involved with the Weigh Safe. I only use it with my camper for moving around my yard and getting the TW.

2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
2015 Bullet 308BHS

sourdough
03-22-2017, 08:07 PM
JRTJH is correct. There is no WD or sway control involved with the Weigh Safe. I only use it with my camper for moving around my yard and getting the TW.

2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
2015 Bullet 308BHS

Excellent! Looks like a good product for checking tongue weight vs guessing.
Thanks for the heads up.

Mikey
03-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Excellent! Looks like a good product for checking tongue weight vs guessing.
Thanks for the heads up.
Anytime! Just glad to contribute a little back to the group. Lord knows I've gotten a lot of great info from here.

2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
2015 Bullet 308BHS

xcntrk
03-26-2017, 12:11 PM
A buddy of mine has one of these, he loves it for anything light enough to not require weight distribution or sway-control.

Mikey
04-01-2017, 05:25 AM
I'm really liking it so far. Especially hauling a tractor and implements. I took my camper across the scales and the online calculators all say the same as it does.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Outback 325BH
04-01-2017, 05:29 AM
Seems like you risk damaging the scale if you use it to move your trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey
04-04-2017, 07:34 AM
It's actually designed to be used while towing. I haven't had any issues yet.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

jxnbbl
11-13-2020, 07:50 AM
Since this thread hasn't been used in a while....Just wanted to know if there are any additional products/updates that I should consider.

In addition to my TT I have a utility, boat, snowmobile trailer. Due to my new truck purchase (Class IV->V hitch, higher). I have to get a new drop down hitch. I was thinking this might be good to get tongue weight/loading pre-trip with the TT. And good for the other trailers for towing. I know it can't be used with a weight distribution hitch (use a 12k equalizer)

Bill-2020
11-13-2020, 06:09 PM
Since this thread hasn't been used in a while....Just wanted to know if there are any additional products/updates that I should consider.

In addition to my TT I have a utility, boat, snowmobile trailer. Due to my new truck purchase (Class IV->V hitch, higher). I have to get a new drop down hitch. I was thinking this might be good to get tongue weight/loading pre-trip with the TT. And good for the other trailers for towing. I know it can't be used with a weight distribution hitch (use a 12k equalizer)

I have seen a few versions of this online. The price of $300 mentioned earlier seems a bit high from what I recall seeing a few days ago. Maybe the technology has spread and there's some competition in the marketplace for these.

I have front receiver on my TV - I use it to move the camper in the backyard when I need to - it's easier than hooking up to the rear (I don't move it but a few yards fwd or back). So a ball scale would come in more handy than my Sureline... now that I think about it. Uh, oh... there I go thinking again.