PDA

View Full Version : Pensacola Florida Destinations

heiserk0410
03-22-2017, 09:15 AM
The DW and I took the family down to Pensacola last week for a family funeral service. We live in Michigan and did a quick turn-and-burn since we didn't have much time. I must say, that part of Florida is a lot nicer than I was expecting. We had never been there before and even though it was a quick trip and under not so good circumstances, we enjoyed the trip and the area.

So to get to the question here, do any of you have any recommendations of campgrounds in the Pensacola area? I know the DW would like full hook up but I figure we need at least water and electric. Any recommendations would be great.

sourdough
03-22-2017, 09:26 AM
The DW and I took the family down to Pensacola last week for a family funeral service. We live in Michigan and did a quick turn-and-burn since we didn't have much time. I must say, that part of Florida is a lot nicer than I was expecting. We had never been there before and even though it was a quick trip and under not so good circumstances, we enjoyed the trip and the area.

So to get to the question here, do any of you have any recommendations of campgrounds in the Pensacola area? I know the DW would like full hook up but I figure we need at least water and electric. Any recommendations would be great.

We spend a lot of time in the FL panhandle and have been in Pensacola many times but haven't taken a camper there. The Naval Air Station is there and it's a little "busy" for us.

Further east there are lots of places as well. We really like around Destin (love the water) but we usually stay at the Emerald Grand instead of the trailer. Just do a little investigating and I'm sure you will find something as nice, or nicer, than Pensacola without all the hustle and bustle (the traffic can be terrible)....if that's what you are after.

We stay in the big bend portion of the panhandle and our neighbors (back to back peds) were from Michigan. We stayed by them for 3 months and became good friends and are to meet them back there on Nov. 1 for several months. They really love the panhandle region over the rest of FL so y'all may like it as well.

Chano
03-24-2017, 02:49 PM
We always stay at camp gulf for the beach. It's in San Destin, (30-40 minutes east of Pensacola) this time of year its pretty reasonable. Full hookups too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mikey
03-24-2017, 04:51 PM
If you are set on staying at Pensacola Beach, there is a great place next to the boardwalk called Pensacola Beach RV Resort. We've stayed before and It great. Pricey, but great. I live about an hour away and can tell you there are other places further inland if you wanted to stay out of all the traffic and just drive down to the beach. One place you may want to check is Meaher State Park. It's on the causeway between Mobile and Daphne. It's a really nice, quiet place and tons of great seafood joints around it and a lot of stuff to do. Only about an hour west on I-10 from Pensacola. Glad you liked our neck of the woods!

Happy Trails and Safe Travels!
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
2015 Bullet 308BHS

Homer & Marge
03-31-2017, 09:52 AM
Look just to the west - Gulf state park in Orange beach Alabama is the best place I have ever stayed. almost 500 full hookup spaces. roughly 25 miles of great bike trails. Great golf course with reasonable rates. Fabulous pool. Laundry with approximately 25 washers and 25 dryers all new. Great dog beach, Zip lines, kayak rentals, nature center, 3+ miles of one of the greatest beaches on the gulf, not to forget the largest fishing pier on the gulf. Most of all, the quietest place ever, with many waterfront spots. Reserve early for dates from Shrimpfest to spring. Best air museum anywhere, watch the Blue Angels practice, take the fairy boat to Dauphin Island and drive up to the battleship Alabama in mobile. Did I mention, great seafood??

lasmc
04-12-2017, 07:38 AM

We're about to try out Fort Pickens Campground for the first time this weekend which is along the coast of Pensacola Beach. Based on the reviews we've read, Loop A appears to be the for RV'ers with the sites offering more space in between each other. We managed to get a spot in Loop A but our spot as zero shade but beach proximity looks wonderful looking at it on Google maps. The campground only offers water and electric which we have come to expect at most state parks in FL especially along the coast (with the exception of Topsail... amazing BTW!) I will jump back on this thread after our stay at Fort Pickens to give my personal experience with the campground.

lasmc
04-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Look just to the west - Gulf state park in Orange beach Alabama is the best place I have ever stayed. almost 500 full hookup spaces. roughly 25 miles of great bike trails. Great golf course with reasonable rates. Fabulous pool. Laundry with approximately 25 washers and 25 dryers all new. Great dog beach, Zip lines, kayak rentals, nature center, 3+ miles of one of the greatest beaches on the gulf, not to forget the largest fishing pier on the gulf. Most of all, the quietest place ever, with many waterfront spots. Reserve early for dates from Shrimpfest to spring. Best air museum anywhere, watch the Blue Angels practice, take the fairy boat to Dauphin Island and drive up to the battleship Alabama in mobile. Did I mention, great seafood??
I agree Gulf State Park in Orange Beach, AL is a 5 star campground--- it stays booked but if you're lucky to get a spot you will have access to full hookup, a wonderful Olympic size pool and kids splash pad area and a nice beach a short drive or bike ride away.

heiserk0410
04-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the ideas everyone! Keep 'em coming!

:camping:

rdemore
04-18-2017, 12:57 PM
We just spent spring break at Ft. Pickens and will go back. The sites were large and the campground was about 8 miles from town, so it was private. You had to pay a $15 fee to get on the island, which we think is good, because it keeps the riff raff out. At the Fort itself, the story is incredible and you get a great view of the Blue Angels, who perform every Tuesday and Wednesday. There is also a pier at the Ft. with no fee or licesnse required.

The only down side was the camp store and laundry were closed. I think we have camped at all the state parks / federal parks from Gulf Shores to St. George... they are all good

m&m
04-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Go to RVpark reviews. You can check out all the parks in the are. many things to do.
Also look at the county parks. camp over there often.

allmi01
04-20-2017, 08:25 AM
I think the state park I used was Big Lagoon SP. A fair walk to the beach however a good trade for shaded sites.

I really liked it for sorter stay. Not full HU's but worked for us visiting the area.

Mike