PDA

View Full Version : Re-torquing lugs nuts

canesfan
03-22-2017, 07:57 AM
Never really thought this through before. After I get my new tires put on next week do I need to stop 50 miles (and 100 miles...etc) down the road and re-torque them or should they be good to go (assuming they are torqued right after mounting). Is the re-torquing only necessary when the wheels are "new", which I'm pretty sure doesn't happen by the delivery people?

Tbos
03-22-2017, 08:43 AM
I think you have aluminum rims. As such it's my understanding they don't need to seat like the paint steel wheels do. However when I put new tires on my previous trucks aluminum wheels the tire dealer had me come back after 100 miles so they could retorque them. I think it best to at least do one or two checks for safety's sake.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

canesfan
03-22-2017, 08:51 AM
Thanks. Yes, I do have aluminum rims. I can never keep straight which require which so I always check mine regularly anyway, just wondered if this was going to require a couple extra stops.

PARAPTOR
03-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Think somewhere found that these AL wheels should be torqued to 110 pounds. I do not move the Raptor without checking the torque. Well as long as I remember where I stored the torque wrench :banghead:

Ken / Claudia
03-22-2017, 08:58 AM
I have seen many transporters stopped at area pullouts or rest areas checking the lug nuts around PDX freeways. Do they all, I doubt it. What I do not see is the 18 wheelers checking anything when they stop. That years ago was common to see the driver do a walk around before pulling out.

sourdough
03-22-2017, 09:00 AM
I would check them at 1-200 miles initially then every day. For those pulling a fairly heavy trailer with a 1/2 ton I would absolutely do it every day. When pulling a 9200 lb trailer my half ton would loosen up maybe a quarter turn on 2 or 3 lugs per wheel per day. Trailer was OK. When I went to 8 lugs on the 3/4 ton with the same trailer my lug nuts do not loosen at all.

JRTJH
03-22-2017, 09:01 AM
I've always been taught (in aircraft maintenance) that any time a screw, bolt or nut is loosened and retorqued, then the same torque requirements as a new installation are required. ie: if the original torqueing required multiple checks, then the reinstallation/retorqueing also requires the same multiple checks...

To confirm that, in the Keystone owner's manual, in the "changing a tire" and the "wheel reinstallation" sections, the factory says to always follow the "two step procedure" First step is the sequential torqueing (3 increasing values) and the second step is to re-torque "during the first trip" at 10, 25 and 50 miles. To me, that's probably "overkill" to keep them from being sued if a wheel falls off, but I re-torqued mine when I got it home and always check torque before leaving for a trip and every morning during a trip before leaving the campground. What I do is also probably "overkill" but it only takes a minute and if you've ever lost a wheel, you'll know why I'm "anal" about not having loose lug nuts......

canesfan
03-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Ok, thanks all. I'm only going 200 miles after I have them put on. I'll check them around halfway when I stop for fuel and again when I get to where I'm going.

66joej
03-22-2017, 09:53 AM
Agree with all of the above. Unless the fasteners are lockwired ( as we did on natural gas compressor turbines) the torque should be checked regularly. Daily as noted by others is a good guide.

Desert185
03-22-2017, 10:06 AM
I find the lug nuts usually remain tight after installation and a series of re-torques during travel, but I am still religious in checking them prior to each day's travel with a torque wrench.

I really like the TPMS vs checking the tire pressure with a gauge each morning. A torque wrench, a TPMS and an infra red temperature gun should be standard/required equipment for towing a trailer.

xrated
03-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Just remember, using an infrared thermometer on a tire gives you surface temperature readings, which isn't as warm as the tire carcass. It can vary 10 degrees or more.

Desert185
03-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Just remember, using an infrared thermometer on a tire gives you surface temperature readings, which isn't as warm as the tire carcass. It can vary 10 degrees or more.

True. If carcass temp is high, then the tread temp will be elevated. It is in addition to the TPMS indicated tire temperatures.

I use it for temperature comparison between tires, brake drum temperature and bearing hub temperatures. Not for actual temperatures, but for temperature variation among the four.

slow
03-22-2017, 02:27 PM
I find it takes two re-torquing sequences after reinstalling my aluminum wheels. I usually re-torque at approximately 25 AND 50 miles. I always find that most lug nuts required the re-torquing. After that, no need re-torquing other than the recheck before travelling each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Landry
03-22-2017, 03:09 PM
I used to check mine religiously and then found that after a while nothing was changing so I went to every two or three trips. I do check tire pressure before every trip and again before heading home.
Harbor Freight sells a torque wrench pretty cheap, like less that $20 and they were tested and found to be as accurate as the high dollar ones.

Desert185
03-22-2017, 03:45 PM
While I have found data to confirm that HF makes a good torque wrench, I also found this. My heartburn is build quality, which affects consistency. You might buy a good one, or you might not be fortunate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xsPBNiowYoE

sourdough
03-22-2017, 03:55 PM
^^^Why I have 3 under the back seat of my truck.

ctbruce
03-22-2017, 04:05 PM
^^^Why I have 3 under the back seat of my truck.
You need the diesel just to carry your torque wrenches! [emoji12]

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

sourdough
03-22-2017, 04:08 PM
You need the diesel just to carry your torque wrenches! [emoji12]

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Ha! I'll advise the DW:hide:

xrated
03-22-2017, 05:01 PM
I can hear it now...........
Honey, you know that new Diesel 1 Tonner I just bought a couple of weeks ago, I've got to get some air bags for the rear to level it back out......I just just came back from the CAT scales and I'm getting close to load capacity! Nope, I'm not kidding!

Desert185
03-22-2017, 05:30 PM
Why do I carry so much stuff? Because I can. :cool:

Barbell
03-24-2017, 07:43 AM
I regularly check lugs w/torque wrench and have never in 4 years with our Montana found a lug loose. Even after tire changes, the wrench set at 110 ft. lbs clicks at first effort. Don't think I have ever moved a lug a fraction of a turn. Still check regularly tho.

PARAPTOR
03-24-2017, 09:49 AM
I regularly check lugs w/torque wrench and have never in 4 years with our Montana found a lug loose. Even after tire changes, the wrench set at 110 ft. lbs clicks at first effort. Don't think I have ever moved a lug a fraction of a turn. Still check regularly tho.

Same here , over about the same period I have one axial, think two nuts not sure if same need tighten (1/4 + turn) before clicks, As you stated I still check them regularly. Good habit to have

ADDED: one wheel on that axle same one