PDA

View Full Version : Can't mount AC on roof

TShelby
03-21-2017, 06:17 PM
My 2016 Cougar Xlite 29RES has a pre-wired ceiling vent in the master bedroom for a second A/C unit. However, there is a black water tank vent in the roof that is too close to the air vent to fit any brand of air conditioner. Have any of you ever run into this problem, and what did Keystone do about the design flaw?
:banghead:

ctbruce
03-21-2017, 06:27 PM
That seems odd. Any chance of posting a picture?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

TShelby
03-21-2017, 07:18 PM
I have put pics in a zip file

chuckster57
03-21-2017, 07:25 PM
I can't open the file. Currently using an apple ipad.

PARAPTOR
03-21-2017, 10:15 PM
I have put pics in a zip file

Looks like you may have zipped an empty folder named trailer

May want to try and upload just the two pictures

TShelby
03-26-2017, 08:38 AM
Roof vent placed too close to sewer vent

chuckster57
03-26-2017, 10:26 AM
I may be wrong but it looks like the A/C shroud should clear the vent cap. Measure from the foam seal on the bottom of the unit and then measure back from the vent. Foam seal will be just bigger than the vent opening (14"X14")

Outback 325BH
03-26-2017, 02:46 PM
I may be wrong but it looks like the A/C shroud should clear the vent cap. Measure from the foam seal on the bottom of the unit and then measure back from the vent. Foam seal will be just bigger than the vent opening (14"X14")

I agree.

I'm currently in the process of adding a third ac unit (long story) and have been on my roof a lot lately. I don't have specific measurements right now, but that looks like you should be OK. Have you measured your existing ac unit?

Worst case, I would modify the vent to make it lower profile with a 90 or something. You don't need it to be high-flow.

I'll look at mine tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TShelby
03-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Yes I have measured. The clearance needed is 14 in. from the center-line of the roof vent. I have 12 in. The length of the unit goes past the sewer vent by 6 in. and the smallest AC unit will land right on the middle of the Sewer vent. Sewer vent cannot be moved, because of constraints w/in the wall of the trailer, and the position of floor joists below the walls. My dealer says also it is impossible to mount, yet Keystone manufactured it there, pre-wired the box for 115 volt to power AC. Unbelievable.

PARAPTOR
03-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Yes I have measured. The clearance needed is 14 in. from the center-line of the roof vent. I have 12 in. The length of the unit goes past the sewer vent by 6 in. and the smallest AC unit will land right on the middle of the Sewer vent. Sewer vent cannot be moved, because of constraints w/in the wall of the trailer, and the position of floor joists below the walls. My dealer says also it is impossible to mount, yet Keystone manufactured it there, pre-wired the box for 115 volt to power AC. Unbelievable.

Okay here goes, I understand the dealer stating that it can not be done, if I recall that pertained to all available AC units, So to me this appears to be an obvious MFG design fault :banghead: From what I am aware of this is a well documented add on option for many if not all Keystone RVs.

Is the dealer willing to support you by taking this up with Keystone??

Outback 325BH
03-28-2017, 03:21 PM
I just measured my Coleman Mach ac unit on my camper. 12-1/2" would clear that vent. In addition, I would simply cut my shroud and pan to clear it if it didn't fit (it is VERY close to missing as-is). There is no reason to not install it.

If I am reading your tape measure correctly, the center of the vent is about 7 inches back from the opening. That clears anything important in my ac unit... in case you have to cut something to clear it -- which I still think will fit without cutting.

OK... I just took a picture of a Coleman Mach 3+ that is sitting in my garage, waiting to be installed. It is 22" wide (give or take an 1/8"). This means you need 11" from the center to clear... without having to cut a notch in the ac pan (which is completely OK where that vent falls).

The shroud is very flexible and is slightly wider, but that isn't an issue either.

There should be no issue installing that. Again, if there was interference I would cut a notch... but I don't think there will be any clearance problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk