PDA

View Full Version : Tires and Wmart "shipping"

canesfan
03-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Just thought this was "odd" and I'd pass it along.

So I ordered the Carlisle tires from Wmart, nobody could come close to their price. They state "free shipping" on the website re the tires. Ok, good. I get into the order process and enter my information and the "free shipping" changes to "shipping not available, store pickup only". Really? It's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere with no UPS or FedEx around, but whatever. So I'm thinking maybe the reasoning is that they are using their own trucks to move them around from warehouse to stores, but in that case why did they offer "free shipping" in the first place? Fine, so I have to go get them, 10 minutes each way. Today I get a notice that they have been shipped, by FedEx. :facepalm: Oh well, at least it's to our local smaller and nicer food mart than the horrible "super center" across town. Anyway, excited for new tires.

PARAPTOR
03-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Well, Well, if I recall you have some left over popcorn to enjoy while you are waiting :popcorn:. OH just thought of something, better check to make sure you ordered all 4 or 5 in the same color, much faster to mount and balance. I bet you are excited this is almost over :bdance:

canesfan
03-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Well, Well, if I recall you have some left over popcorn to enjoy while you are waiting :popcorn:. OH just thought of something, better check to make sure you ordered all 4 or 5 in the same color, much faster to mount and balance. I bet you are excited this is almost over :bdance:

I only got two. I'm going to wait :popcorn: for the price to go down some more to do the other side. :D

canesfan
03-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Just KIDDING!!! ^^^

sourdough
03-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Just KIDDING!!! ^^^

Boy I'm glad!! I read your first post about 2 tires and said Whaaaattt?? I was about to respond then read your 2nd post. I do hope you got them all in the same color to expedite installation:whistling:

PARAPTOR
03-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Really canesfan :eek:

Remember when you have four tires on the rig and only buy two it only adds levels of confusion for the installer like which one and where. Now in my case I am only buying one tire for the spare and red for emergency. Well that is if gets warm enough to get the spare down from under the Raptor:eek:

Congrats on your two new tires , :facepalm: sorry I mean 4 or maybe 5 :banghead:

Pull Toy
03-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Reminds me of the NAVY.... I switch out tires by Port and Starboard!

LarrySharon
03-20-2017, 05:03 PM

Not forward or aft. :whistling:

ctbruce
03-20-2017, 07:08 PM
Talk about popcorn? I can't even imagine how many new Rvers are going to be confused by this...but red for emergency would help keep straight which was the spare.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

PARAPTOR
03-20-2017, 07:18 PM
Talk about popcorn? I can't even imagine how many new Rvers are going to be confused by this...but red for emergency would help keep straight which was the spare.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312

Yeap you got it, and better yet if as previously stated you were old Navy, port and Starboard colors would make installing ties fool proof.:lol:

gkainz
03-21-2017, 06:08 AM
And only following GQ protocols ... "up and forward starboard, down and aft port" :)

CWtheMan
03-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Just an info note:

The Carlisle tire warranty is for a period of two years from the date purchased. If you do not keep the bill of sale with a date on it the warranty is from the date of manufacturer listed on the tire’s sidewall.

Maxxis, on the other hand have a 6 year warranty. But, it is always from the date manufactured.

Bottom line, have the retailer/wholesaler provide a copy of the warranty for the tires you purchase.

Maybe that will help a little with the price differential between those two tires. And, being China made, the Carlisle tire tariffs may be much less than those from other Asian countries.

CaptnJohn
03-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Just an info note:

The Carlisle tire warranty is for a period of two years from the date purchased. If you do not keep the bill of sale with a date on it the warranty is from the date of manufacturer listed on the tire’s sidewall.

Maxxis, on the other hand have a 6 year warranty. But, it is always from the date manufactured.

Bottom line, have the retailer/wholesaler provide a copy of the warranty for the tires you purchase.

Maybe that will help a little with the price differential between those two tires. And, being China made, the Carlisle tire tariffs may be much less than those from other Asian countries.

May find this interesting.
During a visit to China in April 2015, Van Ormer saw many new lines of ST products, but says he is aware of only one manufacturer that has “truly changed” the technology of the ST tires. That manufacturer is Carlstar Group LLC, formerly CTP Transportation Products and before that, Carlisle Transportation Products. “With the RH (radial) and LH (bias) trailer tires, they beefed up the bead and sidewall packages so that few others can compete quality-wise with them,” Van Ormer says.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/312514/st-tires-all-steel-radial-construction-is-meeting-the-demand-for-more-carrying-capacity

The new HD tires are even better....

busterbrown
03-21-2017, 03:44 PM
During a visit to China in April 2015, Van Ormer saw many new lines of ST products, but says he is aware of only one manufacturer that has “truly changed” the technology of the ST tires. That manufacturer is Carlstar Group LLC, formerly CTP Transportation Products and before that, Carlisle Transportation Products. “With the RH (radial) and LH (bias) trailer tires, they beefed up the bead and sidewall packages so that few others can compete quality-wise with them,” Van Ormer says.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/312514/st-tires-all-steel-radial-construction-is-meeting-the-demand-for-more-carrying-capacity

Makes sense as I've read older forum threads discuss how bad Carlisle tires used to be. The quality turn around must of happened just shortly before 2013/14 as I've read "trashing" reviews on Carlisle ST tires around the 2010/2011 time frame. Goodyear Marathons had similar reviews.

CWtheMan
03-21-2017, 09:02 PM

Tom Van Ormer;

Director of Purchasing at East Bay Tire.

http://www.eastbaytire.com/

Well, lookie there, Carlisle tire is one of their brands.

busterbrown
03-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Tom Van Ormer;

Director of Purchasing at East Bay Tire.

http://www.eastbaytire.com/

Well, lookie there, Carlisle tire is one of their brands.
Yeah, business interest for sure. But the wholesaler procures tires from many of the national brands. A free marketing plug for Carlisle brand tires may just be an honest opinion on a quality product his company represents.

canesfan
03-22-2017, 05:50 AM
Well, I picked mine up yesterday. Ordered Sunday, shipped Monday, arrived Tuesday, 3 days earlier than they were "supposed" to. Not bad for Wmart. 4 month old date codes, all the same. Oh well, I'll take it. I'm not going to spend months hunting for a 3 week old date code and it's highly unlikely I'll have this trailer til the tires need replacing again.

For all those interested, they are all black. So no confusion as to which tire to put where. ;)

Edit - When I was hunting for the date code, it's only on one side and that side was down on the tire on top of the pile, we saw a number that was QC4717 or something like that stamped onto the tire. I had told the girl about date codes and I wanted to check them before I accepted them. She saw the number and said something like, "oh look, this tire hasn't even been made yet". :D

PARAPTOR
03-22-2017, 06:04 AM
Congrats and Thanks for the timely update related to color coding :lol: Since white crap gone, at least for now, crawled under Raptor to get old (one of the original China bombs) spare out. Today or tomorrow to get Carlisle Radial Trail HD st235/85R16 F balanced and mounted.

JRTJH
03-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Canesfan,

Thanks for the info on the mfg date. As a comment, I don't think you'll ever find tires as "fresh" as 3 weeks. Thinking about it, they're made in China, have to sit "waiting transportation", get loaded onto a ship, "slow boat from China" to the US, get unloaded, "waiting for transportation" to a warehouse, then shipped to a distributor, then to WalMart, then sit until you order them, then shipped to the store....

Seems likely that would be a 2 or 3 month process for "normal operations", although it could be faster, probably not likely. I'd guess your tires are about as fresh as should be expected, and certainly much better than tires with a mfg date of a year or more ago....

Keep us posted on how the install goes and how much clearance loss you have in your wheel wells compared to the 10 ply and the new 12 ply tires.....

canesfan
03-22-2017, 08:25 AM
John, you are correct about the transit time. I was using the "3 week" figure randomly, but you do make a good point for others to consider as to what kind of date to expect. I'm satisfied overall with the whole process ordering them from Wmart and that price.

One note to others, when she was making sure I had all the paperwork for "each" tire, they were shipped "per tire", not as a set of 4, she mentioned that if I had any problems with them that I needed to take them back to the "super center" for any returns or refunds. Apparently the "Neighborhood Markets" can not handle returns on tires. Not a big deal, but good to know.

John, I went with the 80s. I was just not comfortable with the clearance on the slide side with the 85s. After studying my numbers over and over and over I made that decision, no matter how hard. Per all my calculations and with my trailer loaded as per normal for me, I have, with "new" tires, 3520 max load per tire - 2665 load per tire per cat scale - which leaves me with 880 reserve per tire or ~ 25%. The 2665 per tire is taken from the axle weight divided by 4, I know it is not "exact" per tire but it gives me a good idea where I am. I still have a few days to change my mind but I'm pretty sure this is what makes me comfortable. If I had another inch on the slide side I would almost certainly have gone with the 85s. But it is what it is.

PARAPTOR
03-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Okay you got my interest. I know we all wish we had another inch or so more. What is the measurement that you have now? Unless I am missing something putting on the 85s you will loose only a half an inch. I know loosing anything is not good :banghead:

I have been running the Carlisle Radial Trail RH st235/85R16 F for now going on over two years. Traveling over all type terrain done good with know none issues.

Of course I have a verified Raptor,ie no Fake labeling :lol: . Would be interested in your measurement. Canesfan as soon as it gets as warm here as your Temps will go out and look at what you are referring to. Better get tires on your trip coming up

canesfan
03-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Paraptor, it was hard to measure the slide side. My tape measure case is labeled as 3" and I could just barely get it between the top of the tire and the bottom of the slide. I was actually pushing up on the "membrane" that covers the bottom of the slide. So I would say barely 3". That would leave me 2-1/2" with the 85s. I have no idea how much the suspension travels and don't want to find out the hard way that it "can" travel 2-1/2". That doesn't seem like a lot to play with to me. So I'm playing it safe there and taking the 880 lbs of reserve per tire with the 80s. And as we've discussed about many things, there are a lot of differences between yours and mine in just one model year. Who knows if that clearance is the same on yours and mine?

PARAPTOR
03-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Thanks !!! Got it

Enjoy your trip :dance::bdance:

PARAPTOR
03-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312

Okay warming up a little around here :hpyclp: 50 that is, Sooooo took my emergency spare (red) to the tire shop to get my new Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST235/85R16 F balanced and mounted on my spare steel rim.

canesfan; since you are keeping track of the dates on Carlisle tires, happy to announce the mfg date on this one was "4916" 49th week of 2016 so I would say very GOOD.

Tire looked Soooo good I was really tempted to switch it out with one of my existing four black Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST235/85R16 F tires but then remembered "RED". Then I would introduce another problem, ie which side Port or Starboard would have one black and one red tire :facepalm: Remembering that I was here to solve a problem not make more, I used the new tire as my emergency spare.

canesfan; while I was dragging this spare under the Raptor:banghead:, I glanced at the clearance between the top of the existing Carlisle tires on the slide side and anything above the tire. Did not do it but looked like I could stick my head in there at least, Ya that is right my big head. Would have tried it but knew this old guy may never get back out here as it is :nonono:

canesfan
03-24-2017, 06:55 AM
Paraptor, good deal on your spare. Did it cost extra for red? I didn't see that option when I bought mine. :rolleyes:

If you do stick your head in there to see, make sure you have your phone with you so you can call 911 when you get stuck. :eek: I'd be lucky to get my fist in there. Big difference.

PARAPTOR
03-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Paraptor, good deal on your spare. Did it cost extra for red? I didn't see that option when I bought mine. :rolleyes:

If you do stick your head in there to see, make sure you have your phone with you so you can call 911 when you get stuck. :eek: I'd be lucky to get my fist in there. Big difference.

The next time I get up enough energy to climb back under there and know I have enough to crawl back out :facepalm: I will take my phone and get a picture. Having a phone with 911 access will help as you said just in case I get stuck :eek: There is generally an option for red, sometimes a waiver needed age 75 and over :banghead:

Thanks for you Senior comments, have a safe trip

CWtheMan
03-26-2017, 09:39 AM
It's very important to register your new tires. Even those selling new tires on the internet must comply. Here's a NHTSA reference.

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2014_Tire_Safety_SYM_Panel_3a_Chern.pdf

PARAPTOR
03-26-2017, 11:45 AM
It's very important to register your new tires. Even those selling new tires on the internet must comply. Here's a NHTSA reference.

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2014_Tire_Safety_SYM_Panel_3a_Chern.pdf

As expected from you great information, Thanks

But have to admit I can only image the looks "Deer in head lights" :eek: when we go into these tire dealers and inquire about this.

Again appreciate your comments and backup documents (tx)

Tbos
03-30-2017, 01:52 PM
Regular tire dealers do register tires for the buyers. I don't know about Wmart

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

LarrySharon
03-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Got my new Carsliles yesterday surprised on the manufacturing date, 5116, I was afraid that they would be much older. Will be putting them on in a few weeks to replace the Rainiers that came with the travel trailer.

EVMIII
04-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Just picked up my Carlisle 235/85R16 LRF from Walmart today. All five tires datec 5216, they look great and considerably more sturdy than the Trailer Kings on there now. I'll get them put on at my local tire shop next week. Always glad to hear positive feedback from folks already running these tires. Safe travels all.

Lee
04-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Hi All,

Well after reading all of the China Bomb horror stories, I took the plunge and ordered four Carlisle 225/75R15 LRE tires from Walmart. They came in today and are picked up.

These are an upgrade from the LRD's currently on the TT.

Three are dated 5016 and one is 0617.

As soon as the TPMS kit comes in I will get them mounted with steel stems.

Happy trails,

canesfan
04-14-2017, 09:46 AM
Got my new Carlisles put on a couple weeks ago. I knew one Trailer King was not looking good but when they took them off they showed me a second that was separating. Lucky I made it to the tire shop in one piece. $15 each to mount, balance and install, plus tax. In and out in less than an hour. Anyone needing a good tire shop in the Richmond area check out Waller Tire on Rt 10 in Chester, just off I-95.

slow
04-14-2017, 09:47 AM
Hi All,

Well after reading all of the China Bomb horror stories, I took the plunge and ordered four Carlisle 225/75R15 LRE tires from Walmart. They came in today and are picked up.

These are an upgrade from the LRD's currently on the TT.

Three are dated 5016 and one is 0617.

As soon as the TPMS kit comes in I will get them mounted with steel stems.

Happy trails,

Lee,

Please report how your trailer rides with the LRE at 80 psi. I am trying to decide on LRD or LRE for my 23RB.

CrazyCain
04-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Reading so much about the "China Bomb", which i have on my rig, they got less than 500 miles on them, gonna make sure the PSI is always correct, load balanced and not over and keep my speed at or below 65 mph, put trust in my TireMinder TPMS and then roll with them for the year..Then maybe a Christmas present from the DW for a new set of Carlisle or Maxxis for next summer.. :whistling::popcorn:

sourdough
04-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Reading so much about the "China Bomb", which i have on my rig, they got less than 500 miles on them, gonna make sure the PSI is always correct, load balanced and not over and keep my speed at or below 65 mph, put trust in my TireMinder TPMS and then roll with them for the year..Then maybe a Christmas present from the DW for a new set of Carlisle or Maxxis for next summer.. :whistling::popcorn:

I would suggest you keep a very close eye on them....literally. Look for ANY kind of anomaly in the surface of the tire; tread, sidewalls etc. - even little bitty cracks. Those things self destruct from the inside out so by casual observance, and probably even with close inspection, they will look just fine until :facepalm: :banghead:

I understand your hesitation to replace them, and I'm hoping they've put tires on your trailer with enough safety margin that they will be OK, so keep an eye on them and good luck.

CrazyCain
04-14-2017, 11:51 AM
I would suggest you keep a very close eye on them....literally. Look for ANY kind of anomaly in the surface of the tire; tread, sidewalls etc. - even little bitty cracks. Those things self destruct from the inside out so by casual observance, and probably even with close inspection, they will look just fine until :facepalm: :banghead:

I understand your hesitation to replace them, and I'm hoping they've put tires on your trailer with enough safety margin that they will be OK, so keep an eye on them and good luck.

According to the stamp on the tire, they are less than a year old.....does that make it better:confused::eek::(:hide:

Lee
04-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Lee,

Please report how your trailer rides with the LRE at 80 psi. I am trying to decide on LRD or LRD for my 23RB.

Will do..

Will be a few weeks till the first voyage on the new tires as the weather still sucks here in the Great North-Wet!!!

sourdough
04-14-2017, 02:13 PM
According to the stamp on the tire, they are less than a year old.....does that make it better:confused::eek::(:hide:

You know, in all honesty, I don't know. Some of them seem to last years for some then some want to pop when they see daylight...so to speak.

I think one of the biggest things is weight. Our tires from the factory were only rated for 40 lbs. more per tire than our gvw. I think I mentioned that load vs tire rating would be an important factor. If you haven't I would look at the tire rating x 4 then see what your gvw of the trailer is. Hopefully you have a significant safety margin.

JRTJH
04-14-2017, 03:32 PM
CrazyCain,

From what I see, the LHS is a single axle trailer with a empty weight of 3245 and a GVW of 4475. Tongue weight is around 500 pounds, so at "camping weight" I'd guess it'll be about 4200 pounds with all but the tongue weight on the axle. So 4200 - 500 = 3700 pounds on the axle, which is around 1850 on each tire (assuming they are loaded equally, side to side).

The trailer has 205 75R 14 LRD tires rated to carry 2040 at 65 PSI.

So, there is just about a 10% "safety factor" on the factory tires. Since ST tires "degrade with age" at about 10% per year, when your tires are a year old (check the sidewalls for the exact date of manufacture) they will probably be at or very near overloaded.

Now, whether you want to take the chance, buy new tires now, risk a tire failure or something else, that's up to you. But, looking at the load rating for the tires installed on your trailer and the probability that you don't have much reserve, it would be prudent to look at replacing the tires earlier than "next year with tires that are a Christmas gift......

Just my opinion, for what it's worth..... :whistling:

CrazyCain
04-14-2017, 04:44 PM
CrazyCain,

From what I see, the LHS is a single axle trailer with a empty weight of 3245 and a GVW of 4475. Tongue weight is around 500 pounds, so at "camping weight" I'd guess it'll be about 4200 pounds with all but the tongue weight on the axle. So 4200 - 500 = 3700 pounds on the axle, which is around 1850 on each tire (assuming they are loaded equally, side to side).

The trailer has 205 75R 14 LRD tires rated to carry 2040 at 65 PSI.

So, there is just about a 10% "safety factor" on the factory tires. Since ST tires "degrade with age" at about 10% per year, when your tires are a year old (check the sidewalls for the exact date of manufacture) they will probably be at or very near overloaded.

Now, whether you want to take the chance, buy new tires now, risk a tire failure or something else, that's up to you. But, looking at the load rating for the tires installed on your trailer and the probability that you don't have much reserve, it would be prudent to look at replacing the tires earlier than "next year with tires that are a Christmas gift......

Just my opinion, for what it's worth..... :whistling:

You know, in all honesty, I don't know. Some of them seem to last years for some then some want to pop when they see daylight...so to speak.

I think one of the biggest things is weight. Our tires from the factory were only rated for 40 lbs. more per tire than our gvw. I think I mentioned that load vs tire rating would be an important factor. If you haven't I would look at the tire rating x 4 then see what your gvw of the trailer is. Hopefully you have a significant safety margin.

Will be taking it to the scales when i bring the LHS home from up north the weekend of May 5th. (<200 miles)I really don't think i will be close to the GVW. We don't carry a ton of stuff in the trailer, but who knows, light stuff adds up. Most heavy items, beer, cooler and the such, i carry in the bed of the truck.. All new to me with this TT stuff, never had to worry about this with the pop up, or didn't care because we were free wheeling and wild back then..I'm convinced that those new tires will be a memorial day present now!! Hum, I wonder what kind of tires I should get! Carlisle, Maxxis??? You go crazy reading about tires on the forum,,,,,, ;):lol::D:hide::popcorn:

sourdough
04-14-2017, 06:10 PM
Will be taking it to the scales when i bring the LHS home from up north the weekend of May 5th. (<200 miles)I really don't think i will be close to the GVW. We don't carry a ton of stuff in the trailer, but who knows, light stuff adds up. Most heavy items, beer, cooler and the such, i carry in the bed of the truck.. All new to me with this TT stuff, never had to worry about this with the pop up, or didn't care because we were free wheeling and wild back then..I'm convinced that those new tires will be a memorial day present now!! Hum, I wonder what kind of tires I should get! Carlisle, Maxxis??? You go crazy reading about tires on the forum,,,,,, ;):lol::D:hide::popcorn:

Load it up like you would use it and see where you're at. Hopefully you are in a good place with plenty of reserve. We never worried about it in our popup either; but, I couldn't put thousands of pounds of stuff in it, most went in the back of the truck.

RV tires ARE something that generates a lot of discussion and therefore plenty of "reading" material:). Just read through them and realize that those bad things do happen, and not necessarily because of poor maintenance. I, and many others, stayed on top of my tires year round....but that didn't make any difference when it came time to implode at a very early stage.

CrazyCain
04-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Load it up like you would use it and see where you're at. Hopefully you are in a good place with plenty of reserve. We never worried about it in our popup either; but, I couldn't put thousands of pounds of stuff in it, most went in the back of the truck.

RV tires ARE something that generates a lot of discussion and therefore plenty of "reading" material:). Just read through them and realize that those bad things do happen, and not necessarily because of poor maintenance. I, and many others, stayed on top of my tires year round....but that didn't make any difference when it came time to implode at a very early stage.

(tx):dizzy:

CrazyCain
04-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Sorry, but i am way to confused on what type of Carlise tire to buy.. HELP!!!!!!
LoadSTAR) 205 75R 14 LRD are on the trailer now, same thing in Carlise (?) no idea about load rating, PSi still be 65????:horse: Think i will go for a bicycle ride, humm, wonder what type of tires are on it... :eek: will be pulling the trigger this week and ordering me some.. thankfully my Brother in Law mounts tires at his shop.... :bow:

JRTJH
04-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Carlisle Radial Trail HD is available in ST205/75R14. The tire model number is 6H04561. That is (as far as I know) the heaviest 14" radial tire available on the market. The "big factor" for you, is getting rid of the questionable tires that were OEM and going with a better quality tire. You won't be increasing your load range with these tires since they are rated the same as your OEM tires.

In order to increase your load rating, if you're looking to do that, you'll need to buy new wheels and tires in 15" size. That's an option, but not an absolute necessity.

If you do option for 15" wheels, you'll need to check for clearance in your wheel wells before you make any decisions. If you have enough clearance, then changing to 15" wheels with 225 75R15 LRD tires would increase your load capacity from 2040 per tire to 2540, an increase of 1000 pounds for the pair. Note that the 15" LRD tires are 2" larger in diameter (28") than your current 26" diameter 14" tires. That means you'll have 1" more "tire between your axle and the wheel well. (the other inch is on the ground, under the axle and doesn't count)

The Carlisle tire information is available at this website: http://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/radial-trail-hd

sourdough
04-16-2017, 11:15 AM
As John said getting a better quality tire is the goal.

You don't need a larger or higher rated tire. The gvw of your trailer is 4475 lbs. The rating of your current tire size, LRD, is 2040 lbs. each = 8160 lbs total capacity, or, approx. a 45% reserve capacity. Plenty.

I bought the Carlisle Radial HD and have been very happy.

CrazyCain
04-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Not looking to increase my load ratiing, just better peace of mind quality tires, Sold on the carisle's....thanks guys..

sourdough
04-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Not looking to increase my load ratiing, just better peace of mind quality tires, Sold on the carisle's....thanks guys..

CrazyCain - did you have a post about the tire rating etc. and then delete it or something?? I was writing a reply and my screen jumped, I looked back at the posts and it was gone:facepalm:

I was replying to the various ratings but in a nutshell they looked good. Or, I AM losing it like DW keeps telling me!!

CrazyCain
04-16-2017, 04:24 PM
CrazyCain - did you have a post about the tire rating etc. and then delete it or something?? I was writing a reply and my screen jumped, I looked back at the posts and it was gone:facepalm:

I was replying to the various ratings but in a nutshell they looked good. Or, I AM losing it like DW keeps telling me!!

i deleted it by mistake, then could not remember anything
.. These are the tires im getting from Discount Tire

CARLISLE
BEST

CARLISLE
RADIAL TRAIL HD

ST205 /75 R14 105M D1 BSB just wanted to make sure the 105M is the load rating and what the D1 stands for..

sourdough
04-16-2017, 04:52 PM
105 is the load rating -2039 lbs. D1 is load range/max load carrying capacity - 8 ply rating @ 65 psi. M is speed rating - 81 mph.

What does all that tell you? Your 8 ply rated tire will carry 2039 lbs. when inflated to 65 psi and should not exceed 81 mph.

CrazyCain
04-16-2017, 05:15 PM
105 is the load rating -2039 lbs. D1 is load range/max load carrying capacity - 8 ply rating @ 65 psi. M is speed rating - 81 mph.

What does all that tell you? Your 8 ply rated tire will carry 2039 lbs. when inflated to 65 psi and should not exceed 81 mph.

Sourdough, thanks. That is al that i need to know, i will never go over 65mph. One more question, if i do not have max load, should i still run the tires at MAx 65psi? Don't you just love newbies!!!! :whistling::popcorn:

66joej
04-16-2017, 05:38 PM
There are varying opinions on tire pressures. I run ST tires at the maximum sidewall recommended pressures. JMO

sourdough
04-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Sourdough, thanks. That is al that i need to know, i will never go over 65mph. One more question, if i do not have max load, should i still run the tires at MAx 65psi? Don't you just love newbies!!!! :whistling::popcorn:

An ST trailer tire needs to be at max PSI to achieve its load rating. It is not a radial and not designed so that lower pressures enhance its performance by "sidewall flex". Keep it at 65 psi and all should be good.

Edit: I DO love newbies. I was one and experience, along with this forum, taught me a l lot. Sharing is good....and fun.

CWtheMan
04-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Carlisle has always recommended full sidewall tire inflation pressures for their ST tires. Here is a Carlisle reference with that information. It used to be in their warranty package but I think it was removed from there when they signed-up with BASS.

Look under tire inflation, page 288, LH column.

http://www.dutchmen.com/media/6183/carlisle-trailer-tire-service-information.pdf

Note: Tire industry standards support the vehicle manufacturer's cold tire inflation pressures over all others. NHTSA says it's the correct inflation pressure. Not a problem, almost 100% of RV trailer manufacturers only recommend full sidewall pressures for Original Equipment tire fitments. Besides that, over-inflation does not occur unless the cold inflation pressure is greater than sidewall pressure values. Sure, some argue that point, but, their argument is more often than not based on their experiences with other tire designs. The ST tire is designed to use full sidewall pressures all the time. Remember, they age-out. They may look good, even at 5 years old, but they can go Boom regardless of looks or mileage at that age. The closer they are to being fully loaded the shorter their life cycle.

CWtheMan
04-18-2017, 09:05 AM
A It is not a radial and not designed so that lower pressures enhance its performance by "sidewall flex". Keep it at 65 psi and all should be good.

ST225/75D15D Is a bias ply tire.

ST225/75R15D Is a radial ply tire.

sourdough
04-18-2017, 10:19 AM
ST225/75D15D Is a bias ply tire.

ST225/75R15D Is a radial ply tire.

You are correct. Maybe I wasn't clear. Even though a trailer tire is marked as R, ie; 225/75R 15 (meaning a radial) IMO they are not meant to "flex" and "roll" like a softer sided sports car or passenger car tire. Their strength comes from the strong sidewall, not a soft, flexible one IMO hence the full rated pressure recommendations.

I understand what you are saying. On the D part I was referring to load range.

CWtheMan
04-23-2017, 09:47 AM
You are correct. Maybe I wasn't clear. Even though a trailer tire is marked as R, ie; 225/75R 15 (meaning a radial) IMO they are not meant to "flex" and "roll" like a softer sided sports car or passenger car tire. Their strength comes from the strong sidewall, not a soft, flexible one IMO hence the full rated pressure recommendations. Carlisle only recommends full sidewall inflation pressures for their tires. They say they are designed for it. It's not a violation of any tire standard to increase tire inflation pressures above vehicle manufacturer recommendations as long as you do not exceed the tires maximum inflation pressure for the maximum load. However, using inflation pressures below the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations does violate industry standards.

I understand what you are saying. On the D part I was referring to load range.

A lot of the information I have amassed over the years has come from the pages of Carlisle documents. They have always been very prolific posters of information about their brands of trailer tires (ST). Problem is, I never downloaded their documents, just the web addresses. So, whenever they changed their documents, references to that information was lost to me. But, I used their info in lots of my posts which I do have copies of.

For instance, Carlisle has said in the past that ST tire sidewalls are stiffer on top and bottom and softer in the middle area to absorb the stresses produced from the taller vehicle sway and the scrubbing actions in turns, especially the sharper ones. I do not have their remarks on that subject so you can treat it as hearsay from me. However, it was once in Carlisle’s PDF files.