PDA

View Full Version : 6.4' bed vs 8' bed

sourdough
03-19-2017, 04:39 PM
I'm in the market for a new TV. I have a 2014 HD 6.4 gas which I really like. Thought I might move to a 3500 diesel; and I've said for many years I did not want a diesel and would not have one. Well.......

Went to the Ram dealer Friday and against my better judgement I drove a new Laramie 2500 diesel; they did not a 3500 handy. Wow! It's not a dragster off the line but at speed it just pulls....and the low rpm without screaming (which I used to like:) ). I nor my wife have ever liked diesels and their clattering scares the snot out of my pup. So they've never been on my radar screen. The last one I drove a lot was the old Dodge 5.9, which was a great engine, but it belonged in some sort of commercial vehicle - just didn't seem civilized to me. Anyway, I was impressed and it was so much quieter than I had figured.

Long story to ask; when I told them I wanted a 3500 with a short bed. He just said I was out of luck more or less in this area. Everything they had was 8' and those he found were 8'. He said they were considered "work" trucks and that's how most were ordered. I don't want an 8' and have found some 6.4 beds many hundreds of miles away from me which I guess I will go look at BUT....I know there are many on here that love the long bed....why? I've had them and at the time it was inconsequential. Now, a long bed crew cab will not fit in my garage. I already had the concrete lip cut out of the front of the garage so the 2500 would pull in, I don't want to tear out the front of the garage and rebuild to just to get an 8' bed. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something with the 8' bed. I have a bumper pull and DW says I won't be getting a 5vr (that could change:D ). Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated. I've gone from saying I would NEVER have a diesel to looking at purchasing one; now it's an 8' bed......can't say I'm not open minded....or, stupid?? :banghead:

ctbruce
03-19-2017, 04:46 PM
My Chevy had the standard bed and there were several on the lot. If I had the long bed I don't think I could park it in the garage at both home and work. That would have been a deal killer for me.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

swanson
03-19-2017, 04:55 PM
I love my 6.4' bed! But I will throw this at you, look into the Ram Boxes. They are the only way to go.

66joej
03-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Nice to have your problem sourdough! If I had the choice I would travel to get the 6.4 bed truck. Those long beds look SSOO long when you see them in a parking lot. And are a bit harder to maneuver. JMO

Javi
03-19-2017, 05:14 PM
I tried one of them stunted beds once... always was having to leave the tailgate down to haul stuff. never again...

Javi

chuckster57
03-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Let's see: long bed means no slider hitch, or even worrying about it. Ability to carry full sheets of building material without it hanging out. I've never had a short bed so I can't say the ride is better in a long bed, just what I've heard. I wouldn't even look at shorties if I was in the market, JMO.

sourdough
03-19-2017, 05:48 PM
I hear you guys! As far as hauling full sheets, I do all the time on various projects that I do - I just leave the tailgate down. They don't slide out, they always slide to the front so no issue. The problems I have are with lumber. 8' & 10' are OK but when it gets to 12' or longer I have to be creative. I just put the tailgate up (it's a sprayed liner) and angle then across the bed.

The slider issue, which I am absolutely unfamiliar with, IS a consideration to me. DW says no 5vr but gets feeling confined after 3 mos. in the TT. A 5vr, with the increased height, makes that a lot less to me. I'm taking her to look at a Montana front living room next week. I think she will see what I'm talking about. Slider/non slider? I don't really know the ins and outs of that. I was looking on the web at different solutions but don't know that I know what they were talking about. I DO KNOW that I do not want to wrestle a 200 lb. anything in and out of my bed.....that ain't gonna happen.

SummitPond
03-19-2017, 06:08 PM
We bought our truck used; it has the 8 foot bed. It's great for storing stuff during the trip (outdoor chairs, BBQ grill, leveling & stability lumber, cat cage, ramps) but it's a royal pain in the you-know-what to find a place to park at times. We travel back and forth to Maine every year, so if there's a piece of furniture the DW wants that is in one place (or another) it's not difficult to accommodate along with all the other stuff we throw back there (as long as I can make it fit under the cover).

Would I do it if I was ordering a truck to my specs? I'd have to think long and hard about it. Having such a long truck has its advantages when traveling down the highway - we rarely ever feel an 18 wheeler pass or gusty winds; we don't have anti-sway or load EQ bars. But then again, the truck is longer than the living space of our trailer (21' vs 19') and way over-sized for what we pull.

CaptnJohn
03-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Have had trucks since 1976 ~~ all 4X4. Have decided never again a dually. Too much a PIA no matter where you go. Have decided never again an 8' bed too. The Ford 6 3/4' is all I need. I have the same slider hitch in the 3rd truck,,, never used it but should have once~~ dimpled the truck. I'm partial to Ford but would consider GM and Dodge. Ford is the most expensive but I still find the most value there now with the 6.7. Since the 2017 came out with all the new stuff the other 2 will take a couple years to catch up,,, sadly I bought new last year ~~

the sodfather
03-19-2017, 06:28 PM
I guess with a 5th wheel, I'd consider an 8 ft bed. But with a bumper pull TT...nope.

chuckster57
03-19-2017, 06:31 PM
I see your talking about maybe a Montana. FWIW, I wouldn't tow a fiver without a DRW any more. Got a flat on D/S rear outside tire with old fiver on board, probably 2300 lbs of king pin. Easy to pull over and deal with it. What would have happened in a SRW? Don't know but a Montana is not a lightweight by any means.

If your serious about a new TV and possibly a fiver and a Montana, be done with it..get a DRW, they are NOT that hard to park!

Desert185
03-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Its a pickup. Pickups haul stuff, ergo, 8' bed. :thumbsup:

It isn't the truck's fault you have a small garage. :)

Steve S
03-19-2017, 06:54 PM
With the short bed the wife liked to put groceries, a few bags of new shoes and makeup in the back and it was pretty much full. Anything else and it would require a few more trips. We bought it because on the test drive she liked how easy it was to park. After a few months she really noticed that the ride was rough and how useless it was to me as I never used it cept when we had the camper on it.
A yr later I bought a real truck with a bed that I could use on my construction sites. She actually told me that parking was just as simple and the ride was much better.
Now she drives the F-350 dually and just loves it. I guess that it's true what women say about size and length huh? :D:eek::whistling:

JRTJH
03-19-2017, 06:56 PM
If your current truck is a short bed and you're "OK" with it both towing and hauling "stuff", then I'd think you'll be OK with a new truck with a short bed, both towing and hauling "stuff"... That said, if you're considering a diesel, you might want to at least stop by a Ford dealership and test drive one of the new diesels. I've owned diesels from 1983 to current (with a few gas trucks thrown in there) and my biggest "dislike" about diesels is the noise (now that the smoke is controlled). It was (note past tense) almost impossible to start any of my diesels in the garage with the truck windows open and the garage door closed. The clatter was deafening.... Not any more !!! Ford completely redesigned the intake/exhaust on their 6.7L diesel. The exhaust is on top of the engine and the turbo is "right there" to take advantage of the faster response. But the biggest "noticeable feat" is that the noise is almost completely gone.... Honestly, standing beside the truck, it's difficult to tell if it's a diesel or a gas engine under the hood....

As for the bed, Ford's "short bed" (they call it standard bed) is 6'9" long. That little extra makes a world of difference in whether you'll need a sliding hitch or can get by without one (depends more on the fifth wheel front cap). No matter which truck you buy, opt for the "underbed fifth wheel option". Those pucks make it so nice. Gone are the in-bed rails that scratch the bottom sheet of anything you haul and it's so easy to get all the dirt or gravel out of the truck. That was nearly impossible with the rails in the bed. They seemed to catch everything, especially shovels and rakes.

From what you've said, I wouldn't think an early, "Welcome to the world of diesel towing" would be too premature :whistling:

rcmike
03-19-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm in the market for a new TV. I have a 2014 HD 6.4 gas which I really like. Thought I might move to a 3500 diesel; and I've said for many years I did not want a diesel and would not have one. Well.......

Went to the Ram dealer Friday and against my better judgement I drove a new Laramie 2500 diesel; they did not a 3500 handy. Wow! It's not a dragster off the line but at speed it just pulls....and the low rpm without screaming (which I used to like:) ). I nor my wife have ever liked diesels and their clattering scares the snot out of my pup. So they've never been on my radar screen. The last one I drove a lot was the old Dodge 5.9, which was a great engine, but it belonged in some sort of commercial vehicle - just didn't seem civilized to me. Anyway, I was impressed and it was so much quieter than I had figured.

Long story to ask; when I told them I wanted a 3500 with a short bed. He just said I was out of luck more or less in this area. Everything they had was 8' and those he found were 8'. He said they were considered "work" trucks and that's how most were ordered. I don't want an 8' and have found some 6.4 beds many hundreds of miles away from me which I guess I will go look at BUT....I know there are many on here that love the long bed....why? I've had them and at the time it was inconsequential. Now, a long bed crew cab will not fit in my garage. I already had the concrete lip cut out of the front of the garage so the 2500 would pull in, I don't want to tear out the front of the garage and rebuild to just to get an 8' bed. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something with the 8' bed. I have a bumper pull and DW says I won't be getting a 5vr (that could change:D ). Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated. I've gone from saying I would NEVER have a diesel to looking at purchasing one; now it's an 8' bed......can't say I'm not open minded....or, stupid?? :banghead:
Id go with a 8 foot bed only because , if you EVER get a 5th wheel. You will need it. If your NEVER going to get a 5th wheel, stay with a shorter bed, but if you change your mind in the future. You might have some negative equity on that short bed truck. To keep it short for me, I just should of bought my dually on my first TH trailer less than 16 months ago and two previous TH units. Its better to have something than to want or need something you don't have, short bed, long bed. have fun either way.

larry337
03-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Lots to consider. Some questions you almost can't answer without experimenting. For me a long bed is a no brainer. I need/want the extra room in the bed, they ride nicer (and I've had both), and i have the room to park it inside. I tend to agree with JRHT if you're okay now with a short bed you may want to stay with one, especially to park inside. Plus you gain a couple hundred pounds of payload. But the slider hitch is a deal killer for me. My hitch is 145 pounds and splits into 2 pieces, I have to be able to remove it. FWIW I had a fixed hitch in my short bed too and I managed. But as noted the Ford shorted is 6'10". Longbed for me but to each his own.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sourdough
03-19-2017, 07:56 PM
I'm on the edge of buying a diesel despite all of my years of not wanting one. I did/do have a real concern about the long bed because I don't think I need it. The caveat is that I've not towed a 5th wheel with one. We only used goose neck trailers when I was on the farm and all we had was long bed trucks. I like a short bed due to all the issues that a long bed brings...IMO. I don't do construction (unless I'm building something for us or the kids) and 90% of the time it's just "there".

I looked at the Montana and as Chuckster mentioned, I think it is a DRW trailer as well. What I wanted to look at was the front living area and I think the High Country has that as well. I have to look into those things. What I want to do is make sure I have room to grow to a 5vr with this truck. A DRW will be completely out of the question; after 50 years I would have to get a divorce so..............but, I do want the be able to have a hitch that works nicely with a fifth wheel without issues or compromise.

Alpine
03-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Oh sure the short beds are a bit harder to come by as they are usually first to go because they look more sexy I guess!? I for sure wanted a long bed as we knew we would be fulltiming with a larger 5vr. We have the regular solid/straight forward Lippert kingpin box and Reese 20K hitch. We have very few times complained about the ride in about 70,000 miles pulling. Have a feeling the "long box" makes a difference.

larry337
03-19-2017, 08:00 PM
I'm on the edge of buying a diesel despite all of my years of not wanting one. I did/do have a real concern about the long bed because I don't think I need it. The caveat is that I've not towed a 5th wheel with one. We only used goose neck trailers when I was on the farm and all we had was long bed trucks. I like a short bed due to all the issues that a long bed brings...IMO. I don't do construction (unless I'm building something for us or the kids) and 90% of the time it's just "there".

I looked at the Montana and as Chuckster mentioned, I think it is a DRW trailer as well. What I wanted to look at was the front living area and I think the High Country has that as well. I have to look into those things. What I want to do is make sure I have room to grow to a 5vr with this truck. A DRW will be completely out of the question; after 50 years I would have to get a divorce so..............but, I do want the be able to have a hitch that works nicely with a fifth wheel without issues or compromise.
The front living room models have the heaviest pin weights due to the dual front slides. I have one but it's a Cougar, in a Montana you just may wish you had a dually for that. I would try to keep the dry pin weight closer to 2000 if considering a short bed srw.

larry337
03-19-2017, 08:20 PM
The front living room models have the heaviest pin weights due to the dual front slides. I have one but it's a Cougar, in a Montana you just may wish you had a dually for that. I would try to keep the dry pin weight closer to 2000 if considering a short bed srw.

Wow just checked the Montana lineup and they're all up there in pin weight. Not sure if i'd want to try that with a short bed srw, though I'm sure some do.

sourdough
03-19-2017, 08:25 PM
Wow just checked the Montana lineup and they're all up there in pin weight. Not sure if i'd want to try that with a short bed srw, though I'm sure some do.

No, I think that would fall into DRW territory for me. I was visiting with the service manager about what DW and I might be interested in and he insisted I look at the Montana. I like the Montana's, and if I was in the market for a DRW they would be on my list. I won't be getting a DRW so will look at something lighter if and when DW thinks a 5vr is something she wants to do. You've said you have a front living area in a Cougar and that may be something we could look at when the time comes. Thanks.

bsmith0404
03-20-2017, 04:05 AM
It all depends on what the future holds in store for you. Personally, I towed a lot of miles and 2 different 5ers with a GM 6.5' bed without a slider with no issues, but I have seen some people with the rear corner of their truck cab crinckled. I always like the looks of a short bed, but when I went to the DRW that wasn't an option with GM, and I won't own another Dodge. What I have discovered, I love the 8' bed. It's not because I can haul sheet goods, which I do a lot, it's because I could install my auxiliary tank up front and still have a 6' bed left over. IMO the aux tank is the best mod I've made to this truck. I absolutely love the added range and the ability to fuel up in the evening without dragging the 5er through a gas station and having to worry about clearances. I don't have to use truck stops and can find the best prices on fuel in that area. Basically, I have a 6' bed for useable space and could get by with another one for towing a 5er, but I will never give up my aux tank.

My dad is in the same boat as you. An 8' bed will not fit in his garage and his truck will NEVER sit outside, especially in the Wisconsin winters. His truck also sits for long periods without being used, mine is a daily driver and I only have to worry about the NM sun. As for the DW driving it, her car was in the shop for a week after a rear ender. She had the option of a little car that my daughter drives or my truck. I drove the car for a week.

As for the diesel, I used to say never. I still do, but it has changed to I will never NOT own one.

Javi
03-20-2017, 04:16 AM
No, I think that would fall into DRW territory for me. I was visiting with the service manager about what DW and I might be interested in and he insisted I look at the Montana. I like the Montana's, and if I was in the market for a DRW they would be on my list. I won't be getting a DRW so will look at something lighter if and when DW thinks a 5vr is something she wants to do. You've said you have a front living area in a Cougar and that may be something we could look at when the time comes. Thanks.

You just need to drive a dually for a few days and face your fears... and as far as parking in a garage... that's for cars and lawn tractors, pickups park outside.. :D

bagged123
03-20-2017, 05:01 AM
I went from a Chevy DBL cab with the 6.5 box, then a crew cab GMC 2500 duramax 6.5, and now a crew cab 8' bed 3500 dually, and yes before I bought it, I looked at them as boats, but now that I have one, I wouldn't go any smaller, I can carry plywood, mattresses, etc.in the bed with the tailgate up and covered with no problems. Now, I haven't towed my TT yet, but we're going to upgrade to a 5'er soon and I didn't want the issues with a short box and a slider. The 2 downsides with it so far, I'm a foot too long for my garage and in some parking lots, I take up to spots, because if I go line to line, I stick out some, so there are times I take 2 parking spots, but I park way out anyway so folks don't use my truck as a bump stop with their doors.

cardinal96ss
03-20-2017, 05:04 AM
For what it's worth. Like you I never would consider a diesel or a long bed dually. That is until I had and still have a 2500 Dodge Ram short bed. I liked the power, but not the noise. For towing, I now have a '13 Chevy 3500 long bed dually. Chevy diesels are very quiet (go listen to one). While it took some getting used to to park it, for towing, I will never go back to gas, a short bed, or SRW.

Tbos
03-20-2017, 08:45 AM
My DW likes the long Bed DRW because it means I can't park in the garage and she now has it to herself.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

canesfan
03-20-2017, 09:04 AM
I like my short (6-1/2') bed. It doesn't "fit" into a lot of parking spots either, but I park away and walk in parking lots anyway, even if it fits.

I have an auto slider so I don't have to worry about it. Only issue I ever had was when I scratched my front cap with my hard tonneau cover in an odd turning situation exiting a dump station. Maybe an 8' bed would have solved that.

My only issue is not the bed size, it is the hitch weight. So when I want to haul something I have to get creative. I don't haul stuff a lot, but I do some woodworking and am able to haul 10' boards with no problems. I have also gotten a mattress and box spring back there, with the hitch in place, and drove an hour on the interstate with no issues. I am serious about tying anything back there down though.

I don't want or need an 8' bed, and a dually is out of the question. If I were to go that far I would get a little Freightliner "toter". Wonder how the HOA would feel about that parked in the driveway? :eek: :D

Dave W
03-20-2017, 10:18 AM
The good ol' longbed vs shortbed dilemma along with SRW vs DRW and to add to the fun, diesel vs gas. And all in the same thread!! Love it:lol:

I've had most combos except a dually since 1977 and have to say that the current truck is the best combo so far. But with that said, it is at the limits of what I, personally, am comfortable driving with a 38 foot, 12,000 5er. I would be looking at a DRW if longer and/or heavier. The long bed will give you more driving stability and comfort, storage room and better 5er to cab turning clearance. It will also be a PITA in a tight parking lot, forcing you to often park in the back row and a nice walk (exercise!). I do have enough garage with 4" in the front and 2" in the back - a real plus, but only with an older house, ours is 46 years old, or a custom build as designers all seem to thing we drive 14 foot long econoboxes.

Get what you are comfortable with knowing that there are pluses and negatives with virtually any version

sourdough
03-20-2017, 11:09 AM
The good ol' longbed vs shortbed dilemma along with SRW vs DRW and to add to the fun, diesel vs gas. And all in the same thread!! Love it:lol:

I've had most combos except a dually since 1977 and have to say that the current truck is the best combo so far. But with that said, it is at the limits of what I, personally, am comfortable driving with a 38 foot, 12,000 5er. I would be looking at a DRW if longer and/or heavier. The long bed will give you more driving stability and comfort, storage room and better 5er to cab turning clearance. It will also be a PITA in a tight parking lot, forcing you to often park in the back row and a nice walk (exercise!). I do have enough garage with 4" in the front and 2" in the back - a real plus, but only with an older house, ours is 46 years old, or a custom build as designers all seem to thing we drive 14 foot long econoboxes.

Get what you are comfortable with knowing that there are pluses and negatives with virtually any version

"Get what you are comfortable with knowing that there are pluses and negatives with virtually any version "

I agree completely. What I'm trying to do is make sure I don't go buy a new truck (one ton), with diesel (which neither of us has ever wanted), for an upgrade to a possible 5vr and find that I've missed a crucial piece of the puzzle.

From what I've been able to research, and from folks on the forum, I think a SWB truck will pull a fifth wheel just fine; I'm just not familiar with all the inner workings of a fifth wheel hitch and don't want to foul it up.....or hear DW in my ear when I go get yet ANOTHER truck because I missed something on this one! My other consideration is the hitch weight and getting it in and out. I do have other things I like to do and I need a flat bed if not towing.....and I need something pretty light. After 6 surgeries on my right knee, 2 replacements, one removal for 3 months and the removal of a good portion of the leg bone, I can't contort and place a lot of pressure on it so I need something DW and I can move around without a cherry picker....or I guess I could go buy another one...but would rather not.

JRTJH
03-20-2017, 11:45 AM
With your comment about knee problems, I'd urge you to open a Ford F350 tailgate, unfold the "old fart step and dance pole" and see just how easy it is to climb into the bed. After that, start the truck, stand beside it and ask the salesman a question. That'll very likely convince you to seriously consider Ford.

Yup, I'm partial to Ford, but I don't own any stock that I'm aware of......

larry337
03-20-2017, 11:47 AM
With your comment about knee problems, I'd urge you to open a Ford F350 tailgate, unfold the "old fart step and dance pole" and see just how easy it is to climb into the bed. After that, start the truck, stand beside it and ask the salesman a question. That'll very likely convince you to seriously consider Ford.

Agreed, then start researching the Anderson Ultimate hitch. I believe it's under 70 lbs.

JRTJH
03-20-2017, 11:55 AM
Agreed, then start researching the Anderson Ultimate hitch. I believe it's under 70 lbs.

If I'm not mistaken, the Anderson Ultimate attaches to the gooseneck ball? If so, are safety chains required? I'll freely admit I have ZERO experience with that hitch system.

larry337
03-20-2017, 11:57 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the Anderson Ultimate attaches to the gooseneck ball? If so, are safety chains required? I'll freely admit I have ZERO experience with that hitch system.

Me either, that's why I told HIM to research it LOL! :D

JRTJH
03-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Gotcha.... Maybe someone who does own the hitch will chime in and give us all some "edumakation"

larry337
03-20-2017, 12:56 PM
One other must have option would be the extended running boards to reach the fifth wheel release handle.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170320/530528a3fe38e81a4f65636cd922d496.jpg

sourdough
03-20-2017, 02:30 PM
One other must have option would be the extended running boards to reach the fifth wheel release handle.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170320/530528a3fe38e81a4f65636cd922d496.jpg

Super point!! I had not thought of that at all. I always get the running boards that cover the doors. Since DW and I are shorter, and seemingly getting shorter every day, these would be very handy for a process I never thought about.

sourdough
03-20-2017, 02:34 PM

Does the "old fart step and dance pole" come standard or is it an option? Sounds like a viable option. My neighbor had one on his last truck but I never really saw it deployed. It had a handle that always just stuck out of the bed which seemed odd to me. Is that the way they all are?

larry337
03-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Does the "old fart step and dance pole" come standard or is it an option? Sounds like a viable option. My neighbor had one on his last truck but I never really saw it deployed. It had a handle that always just stuck out of the bed which seemed odd to me. Is that the way they all are?
An option on some trims, standard on others, and can be included in some packages. Requires some research into what trim level and options you want. Some higher trim packages include power folding running boards which would restrict you from getting the extended boards.

sourdough
03-20-2017, 02:44 PM
An option on some trims, standard on others, and can be included in some packages. Requires some research into what trim level and options you want. Some higher trim packages include power folding running boards which would restrict you from getting the extended boards.

Thanks Larry. I have not spec'd a Ford because I quit buying them years ago. They always had the nicest interior but the drivetrain just wouldn't hold up. Looks like they've gotten better though.

One of my concerns about getting a diesel were the increased maintenance costs and problems they encounter. I was reviewing a breakdown of costs between the GM/Ford/Ram diesels (some website) and it appeared both the GM and Ford cost more, if not considerably more, to maintain than the Cummins. Does that bear out in your real life experiences (I believe I remember you own a Ford).

Tbos
03-20-2017, 03:29 PM
I was quoted $180 for a full synthetic Oil change on my 2016 diesel today. The every other oil change swap of both fuel filters was quoted at $285. Yes maintenance is expensive but I understand the extra capacity in towing is worth it. Those quotes were at a Ford dealer.

Javi
03-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Being in Texas I use 15-40 Motorcraft, oil and filter change $95 ... oil & fuel filters $178 at my local Ford dealer.

Javi

sourdough
03-20-2017, 03:47 PM
I was quoted $180 for a full synthetic Oil change on my 2016 diesel today. The every other oil change swap of both fuel filters was quoted at $285. Yes maintenance is expensive but I understand the extra capacity in towing is worth it. Those quotes were at a Ford dealer.

I pay just shy of $100 for my oil changes and I change every 5k miles. I think I've read the diesel will go more? Also, I think it's all the little "things" that bother me the most. Having to carry/add DEF all the time (I understand the Cummins doesn't require it), fuel additives, water separators, multiple oil/fuel filters. I'm sure it's just norm for folks used to them, and would be to me after doing it a while, but it sure seems the engine has lots of "things" to keep track of. I don't want to belabor it because I imagine I'm going to get one anyway; just like to be prepared as much as possible. Thanks.

cpaulsen
03-20-2017, 04:16 PM
I have a Ford Crewcab with a 6 3/4' bed and use a Superglide hitch. SRW and have never had a problem towing my Montana

Tbos
03-20-2017, 04:20 PM
It does seem steep. Is it worth the extra $$ to go full synthetic? Unfortunately all the Ford dealers within 1.5 hours of me are part of the same ownership group. FWIW I'm going to go ahead and get some other quotes tomorrow too. According to the CARFAX the truck was always maintained at a Cadillac dealer. I can't get the service department to answer the phone so I can't tell exactly what the did when they did the "recommended service".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hdxbonez
03-20-2017, 04:33 PM
Oil, filter, lube, and change both fuel filters in my Ram is about $325 at the dealer. Every 15,000 miles...

Outback 325BH
03-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Shortbed will give you higher payload. Not sure how much and not sure if it matters or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRTJH
03-20-2017, 05:01 PM
sourdough,

I'm thinking your "reluctance" is more a "fear of the unknown" than an actual reluctance to diesel ownership.... Much of what you noted as "concerns about upkeep" are not really an issue. As for DEF, I haven't added any in the past 5000 miles and it's just now under 1/2 full. I'd guess you'll be looking at about 5 gallons of DEF every 10K miles or thereabouts. Fuel filters are every 20K miles, cost $58 at Amazon and take 10 minutes to change in the driveway. Oil and filter change with 15 quarts of Motorcraft 15W40 is $89 at the local Ford dealer and every 4th change is free. That is the "oil change special" which includes tire rotation.

It's my understanding that ALL current model diesel trucks use DEF. There was a year or two that Ford/GM used it and Chrysler found a way to avoid, but now, they all use it as far as I know.

The biggest issue (and I think it's just getting used to it) that I've found about diesel ownership is having to "stand in oil" at the fuel pump" and always carrying a rubber glove with you so your hands don't stink after a fillup. I solved that problem with a quick trip to Harbor Freight for a $5 box of exam gloves which lasts a couple of years and a set of WeatherTech floor mats. Of course living where there's salt and ice all winter, good floormats are a must for any vehicle, not just a diesel.

As for the "old fart step". It folds into the tail gate, the pole folds also. In 2016 and earlier models, the pole sat in a cavity on top of the tailgate, in the 2017 models, Ford fixed that and it all sits "level and out of sight". On most models, it's a $375 option, well worth it in my opinion.

Just "stepping into diesel ownership" does seem daunting, but in reality, if you read the owner's manual (what man really would, but you should) it's pretty much a "no brainer" and with today's trucks from any manufacturer, the computer reminds you of almost every maintenance action except for the car wash and waxing..... Well, maybe not quite that thorough, but almost.....

sourdough
03-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Thanks all. It probably is a "fear of the unknown" as much as anything. I've worked on gas engines, rebuilt them, replaced them and been under a hood or under a vehicle working on them for decades.

All those years of dropping to the ground, contorting under the hood, trying to squeeze your arm into unreachable places....they're gone as far as I'm concerned due to reasons stated earlier. I just had a nice, long, enjoyable visit with Javi about some of those issues and my concerns. Diesels have come a long way since I drove them and with the all the computer reminders as well as the "conveniences" they build into the trucks now it's probably not as big a deal as it seems. I run about 20k a year in my truck so I'll have to calculate those costs.

John, I know I see diesel spilled all the time at a pump and I'm always trying to avoid it. I assumed it was due to negligent folks (more than most it appeared). Is that not correct? Is there something about the diesel fueling process that just "makes it spill"? Is it something that can't be avoided? I have Weather Tech in all my vehicles but my wife hates diesel smell.

I'm glad they fold the "old fart step" handle. It always just looked odd on my neighbor's truck just sticking in the air.

I do appreciate all the input and assistance. As I believe I've said.....having gone back into having an RV, and now going on the 3rd truck in a little over 2 years, DW is wondering if I've lost my mind so I'm trying to make sure I get it right or......I might have to put a light in the doghouse:facepalm:

pawpaw
03-20-2017, 05:56 PM
I knew we needed a dually to safely handle the weight of our 371 Fuzion. Kind of living on borrowed time hauling it with son in laws F-250 shortbed. Over on the hitch weight and having to use a sidewinder not to hit the cab. Bit the bullet real hard and got the dually. The 6.7 is quiet compared to the older 6.9 and 7.3 Ford diesels in the late 80's and up! My fuel mileage has been averaging 15.5 for the first 450 miles and the ride is rough but not bone jarring with the long wheelbase. 48 gallon fuel tank is nice on the long WB trucks and being this is going to be my daily driver I'm glad I live in the country. People need to analyze what they need for a tow vehicle for their needs present and what they may upgrade to later. Bumper pull ratings and payload capability when pulling a 5th wheel are two different scenario's so take time to do your homework before making an expensive mistake. Very little price difference between a 3/4 and a one ton so get what you need.

pawpaw
03-20-2017, 06:02 PM
I pay just shy of $100 for my oil changes and I change every 5k miles. I think I've read the diesel will go more? Also, I think it's all the little "things" that bother me the most. Having to carry/add DEF all the time (I understand the Cummins doesn't require it), fuel additives, water separators, multiple oil/fuel filters. I'm sure it's just norm for folks used to them, and would be to me after doing it a while, but it sure seems the engine has lots of "things" to keep track of. I don't want to belabor it because I imagine I'm going to get one anyway; just like to be prepared as much as possible. Thanks.

All the newer engines require the DEF fluid. A couple of years ago I had a rental Ram 2500 with the Cummins and it had the DEF fill right next to the fuel neck.

JRTJH
03-20-2017, 06:23 PM
John, I know I see diesel spilled all the time at a pump and I'm always trying to avoid it. I assumed it was due to negligent folks (more than most it appeared). Is that not correct? Is there something about the diesel fueling process that just "makes it spill"? Is it something that can't be avoided?

For the most part, diesel isn't spilled any more often than gasoline. It's just that gas evaporates, almost before it hits the ground while diesel, being a "heavy oil" doesn't evaporate, but rather just "lays there getting greasy"...

Most of it is carelessness, not paying attention, not letting the nozzle "drip freely into the filler neck" before pulling it out to replace in the pump.

Honestly, there are a couple of "very busy stations" around here that I just won't use. I've found two or three that do clean up the spills, use "oil absorbant" and keep the aprons clean. When on the road, usually the truck stop "trucker's lanes" are dirty while the automotive lanes and the RV lanes don't seem to get as much use, so the ground is cleaner.

I haven't had any "really bad experiences" refueling, but there have been more than my share of "straddling a puddle of diesel" so I didn't track it back into the truck.

bsmith0404
03-21-2017, 05:00 AM
Maintenance costs??? How many miles do you driver per year? Oil changes are every 10k at most with the new trucks and oil. I have done oil analysis and it is still very good oil at that point. Fuel filters are every 20k miles or so. Allison uses a sin on tranny filter as well, again every 20k miles. For most people, you could do a complete service and just change everything once per year. For me, the Allison filter is $9, the fuel filter $35, the 10 qt oil change runs me about $5, I use Mystik oil, but DElvac, Rotella, and Delo are all good and about the same price. May as well change the air filter as well, so another $35. I do all of my own work so that is it. As for worrying about anything else, the diesel warranties are 100k miles, I doubt you'll be paying for any repairs anytime soon.

Dave W
03-21-2017, 05:46 AM
I have an oil change every 5-7000 miles at my local Ford dealer and it runs about $118 for their Motorcraft semi synthetic oil. I do my own fuel filter change every 3rd oil change (~15,000 miles) per the owner's manual. The cost for this is 'dirt cheap' at about $50 via AMAZON and it takes all of 15 minutes in my driveway. There are some cautions with doing a Ford diesel fuel filter change - use a strap wrench and not the cast on nut and once the canister is loosened, unscrew it 3 turns and then drain. The under hood filter change amounts to flipping a couple clips, pulling two hoses loose then reversing yourself to install the new one. This entire operation is easier then a gas pickup fuel filter hidden somewhere on the frame and requiring a special tube release tool then yanking and pulling, all the while waiting for that gasoline bath.

As far as the rest of the maintenance - yep, it's more costly but you really don't need much until over 75,000 miles and if you are concerned, a Ford extended warranty works very nicely.

Towing power - Ford and Dodge work very nicely and have to assume GMs do as well but have zilch experience with the GM products.

Like I said way above, it IS what you are comfortable with but also be aware that the gasser will need to work harder but still may be the right choice if your towable isn't too big and your towing miles fairly low.

canesfan
03-21-2017, 06:08 AM
John, I know I see diesel spilled all the time at a pump and I'm always trying to avoid it. I assumed it was due to negligent folks (more than most it appeared). Is that not correct? Is there something about the diesel fueling process that just "makes it spill"? Is it something that can't be avoided? I have Weather Tech in all my vehicles but my wife hates diesel smell.

I think some of it might have to do with how diesel "foams". I've accidently spilled a little a couple times trying to "fill" it more than you are supposed to and not waiting for the foam to subside.

As for the Anderson hitch mentioned awhile back, I had looked into it and yes, it does require chains. That was kind of a deal breaker for me.

sourdough
03-21-2017, 09:21 AM
I think some of it might have to do with how diesel "foams". I've accidently spilled a little a couple times trying to "fill" it more than you are supposed to and not waiting for the foam to subside.

As for the Anderson hitch mentioned awhile back, I had looked into it and yes, it does require chains. That was kind of a deal breaker for me.

I know this is veering off topic but I reviewed the Andersen hitch video(s) yesterday and didn't see any chains being used. Where would they go and for what purpose? I assume some sort of breakaway insurance but 5th wheel hitches don't use them....right?

Javi
03-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Gooseneck hitches much use them. There should be connection points to the frame.

Javi

gearhead
03-21-2017, 08:04 PM
My thoughts, being on my 3rd truck in 4 years.
I didn't want to spend big money on new truck and have it sit outside. My garage is deep, 28ft, so a crewcab long bed fit. Comparing CC, LB, 4x4, diesel, almost loaded, 1 ton, SRW, I found that Ford has lowest payload 3100-3400#, Chevy next 3600-3750#, and Ram the highest 4000-4200#. So check those yellow stickers on shortbeds to see if they compare similarly if you think you will go to a 5th. The diesel is a no brainer, do it. To me the Ford is a higher revving hot rod and the Cummins is a low rpm motor. If you go Ford read the owners manual about towing, severe service, and using 5W-40 synthetic oil. Cummins recommends 15W-40 regular oil unless in very cold weather. I run Shell Rotella T5 semi syn 15W-40. Drive a new diesel and engage the exhaust brake. You will love it.
Research the Andersen hitch. I "think" they have one with an offset for short beds. The one rig I looked at with an Andersen didn't have safety chains. All that said I would be happy with any of the 3 trucks if the payload capacity works for you. Add about 1,000# to the advertised pin weight.
add: East Texas is full of shortbed diesels. Look around here. I think if you do the Ram "Build & Price" you can plug in a zip code and search. Use mine: 77575.

canesfan
03-22-2017, 05:40 AM
It doesn't mention that they are "required" but here they are. I thought for ball mount hitches chains were "required" period, whether on the bumper or in the bed.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3230--safety-chains-for-ultimate-connection.aspx

http://www.andersenhitches.com/catalog/gooseneck-mount--ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

And you are correct, 5th wheel hitches don't use safety chains.

Desert185
03-22-2017, 07:30 AM
It doesn't mention that they are "required" but here they are. I thought for ball mount hitches chains were "required" period, whether on the bumper or in the bed.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3230--safety-chains-for-ultimate-connection.aspx

http://www.andersenhitches.com/catalog/gooseneck-mount--ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

And you are correct, 5th wheel hitches don't use safety chains.

The Andersen isn't a gooseneck mount, so chains are not required for most locales. Some may require chains due to not realizing the difference, like ignorantly saying every black rifle is an M16 assault rifle.

My 24K rated Andersen does not have, nor does it need chains...legally or otherwise.

canesfan
03-22-2017, 07:52 AM
The Andersen isn't a gooseneck mount, so chains are not required for most locales. Some may require chains due to not realizing the difference, like ignorantly saying every black rifle is an M16 assault rifle.

My 24K rated Andersen does not have, nor does it need chains...legally or otherwise.

Ok, thanks. So after reading some questions and answers pertaining to this it seems they got it approved as a 5th wheel hitch so in most locales it doesn't require chains. It also seems that currently only Indiana "requires" chains be used with it.

jaked
03-22-2017, 07:57 AM
I love my 6.4' bed. I have the mega cab dually and it works out perfect. When the bed seats are down the dog have tons of room to lay down on the ride out. And you don't need a slider hitch if you go with the Anderson hitch. It's what I have and I tow a 43 ft toy hauler. Awesome hitch. To chucking like you get with standard 5th wheel hitches. I'd look into it if I were you.

JRTJH
03-22-2017, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure (at all) about the requirements for using safety chains with gooseneck trailers, but the Ford accessory gooseneck kit includes the 2 5/16" ball section and two safety chain attachments that fit into the two forward "pucks" which are a part of the fifth wheel hitch "underbed package".

So, if you get your gooseneck ball from Ford, it comes with provisions to use safety chains. Whether they are required or not, I've no idea. That's why I asked the question several posts back.

Here's a picture of the Ford system, note the two safety chain "pucks"....

bagged123
03-22-2017, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure (at all) about the requirements for using safety chains with gooseneck trailers, but the Ford accessory gooseneck kit includes the 2 5/16" ball section and two safety chain attachments that fit into the two forward "pucks" which are a part of the fifth wheel hitch "underbed package".

So, if you get your gooseneck ball from Ford, it comes with provisions to use safety chains. Whether they are required or not, I've no idea. That's why I asked the question several posts back.

Here's a picture of the Ford system, note the two safety chain "pucks"....

I got the same setup when I bought my 3500, the hitch ball and 2 safety chain connectors for the "pucks"

canesfan
03-22-2017, 08:48 AM
According to a Q&A on etrailer https://www.etrailer.com/question-147197.html who said she spoke to Anderson, chains are not compatible with the Ford factory "puck" mounts because the hitch covers all four holes and then there's no place to attach the chains. I would definitely investigate all this if you 1. have a newer Frod with the factory puck mounts and 2. are interested in the Anderson and 3. live in or will travel through Indiana. Good luck! :facepalm:

Outback 325BH
03-25-2017, 08:56 AM
According to a Q&A on etrailer https://www.etrailer.com/question-147197.html who said she spoke to Anderson, chains are not compatible with the Ford factory "puck" mounts because the hitch covers all four holes and then there's no place to attach the chains. I would definitely investigate all this if you 1. have a newer Frod with the factory puck mounts and 2. are interested in the Anderson and 3. live in or will travel through Indiana. Good luck! :facepalm:

I think you are confusing the application. The picture above is for a GOOSENECK configuration. When all four pucks are used for a hitch, that is a 5th WHEEL configuration. One requires chains and one does not. The puck mounted chain loops are not used in a 5er hitch as the hitch would be using the pucks.

The Ford puck system shown in the picture above has provisions for both a gooseneck and 5er setup.

kfxgreenie
03-25-2017, 01:06 PM
Use a B&W gooseneck and your bed will have 4 less holes in it. An Andersen hitch can be mounted to it and you have now saved around 200 lb's for your payload. The B&W gooseneck comes with chain mount loops to fasten chains if you were worried and wanted them to use with the Anderson combination. If you were not a fan of the Andersen, you can then mount a B&W fifth wheel hitch to the B&W gooseneck, still have 4 less large holes in your bed.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_229923_0_cc6e47bb4f71b642f5b39432025aad0d.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/kfxgreenie/media/ball_up.jpg.html)

capnttom
03-26-2017, 05:38 AM
@sourdough, I have the Megacab short bed. You may want to consider the DW factor. She may not like the extra length when it comes to maneuvering & parking. We had an ecodiesel, which my DW loved as a DD. She doesn't like our Megacab because of the extra length.

As such, I elected to put a slider hitch in the short bed. You may never need it, but it's worthy of consideration. In my case, I dimpled my brand new truck. I was stupid; just forgot to use the slider. It was an $800 mistake!

Bottom line - happy wife happy life! :)

Desert185
03-26-2017, 09:23 AM
@sourdough, I have the Megacab short bed. You may want to consider the DW factor. She may not like the extra length when it comes to maneuvering & parking. We had an ecodiesel, which my DW loved as a DD. She doesn't like our Megacab because of the extra length.

As such, I elected to put a slider hitch in the short bed. You may never need it, but it's worthy of consideration. In my case, I dimpled my brand new truck. I was stupid; just forgot to use the slider. It was an $800 mistake!

Bottom line - happy wife happy life! :)

Boy, isn't that the truth. Thankfully, the DW and I see it the same way. We both like the long bed. She doesn't understand a pickup with a short bed. :bow: :thumbsup:

the sodfather
04-01-2017, 04:51 AM
Talk about going off the rails...I thought this was about opinions on 6.5' vs. 8' beds...��

ADQ K9
04-05-2017, 11:59 AM
I got the 8 footer cause it was only like $300 more than the short box, building materials fit easier, I can fit 2 ATV's crosswise on my Dimondback cover, and it came with a larger fuel tank. They just don't make garages like they used to, My truck fits in mine, bareley.
Have you thought of just building what you want and ordering it? I did that. It takes some time but it is exactly what you want in the end.

Dave W
04-05-2017, 01:38 PM
After parking next to a guy at the lumberyard last week, fumbling to load and tie down some 8 foot long sheet rock and expensive paneling in his 6'4" 2017 Ford F350 bed makes me real happy. Mine was not only fully in the box but was covered by the tonneau - it was spitting snow (good grief that truck bed was TALL!!)

sourdough
04-05-2017, 02:30 PM
I got the 8 footer cause it was only like $300 more than the short box, building materials fit easier, I can fit 2 ATV's crosswise on my Dimondback cover, and it came with a larger fuel tank. They just don't make garages like they used to, My truck fits in mine, bareley.
Have you thought of just building what you want and ordering it? I did that. It takes some time but it is exactly what you want in the end.

I've thought about ordering one but I guess I'm not only impatient but a little gun shy of taking possession of a vehicle I've never driven. I've ordered 2; one got delayed in production so I cancelled it after waiting 8 weeks; the 2nd arrived and when I went to drive it it felt like the trans./torque converter (something) was spinning/grinding when you took off in a turn - I refused it. When Hummers came out I wanted one. Test drove 2 and they were fine, but, I decided I wanted the one on the floor. Bought it and drove away only to find that the front end wandered all over the place. Had it worked on multiple times and finally fixed it myself. Anyway, now I pretty much like to drive whatever I'm going to buy....and once I get in the mode I want to get it over "right now" (yes, it's crazy).

The sad thing on the garage is that I spec'd it when we built the house. I never dreamed I would have a truck bigger than what I have now. At that time I had a Ford supercab 8' bed and it was plenty big. Not so much anymore. I'm still working on that part.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Outback 325BH
04-05-2017, 04:15 PM
After parking next to a guy at the lumberyard last week, fumbling to load and tie down some 8 foot long sheet rock and expensive paneling in his 6'4" 2017 Ford F350 bed makes me real happy. Mine was not only fully in the box but was covered by the tonneau - it was spitting snow (good grief that truck bed was TALL!!)

A little melodramatic I think. I have a shortbed F250, loading 4x8 sheets is a non-issue. You just tie the end so the load doesn't slide out.

If you carry that type of load on a regular basis, a longbed is more convenient, however a shortbed gives you more payload and has benefits of a shorter truck.

It is all about what your needs are.

sourdough
04-05-2017, 04:49 PM
""If you carry that type of load on a regular basis, a longbed is more convenient, however a shortbed gives you more payload and has benefits of a shorter truck.

It is all about what your needs are.""

I think this is exactly right. I have many projects, but, they are all done on MY time. If I need to carry something in the bed I won't do it in inclement weather (if it won't fit under the bed cover). I carry all kinds of 4x8 sheets, 2x stock in 8/10/12' lengths with no issue.

I really do think it IS about what your needs are and we are all different.....and then there's the garage:facepalm:

JRTJH
04-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Sitting here, reading this, and thinking...YUP, now you can see how really boring it gets in northern Michigan the evening before hopefully the LAST snowstorm of the season (7-10" predicted tomorrow)....

Twenty years ago most houses had 8' ceilings and truck beds were 8', probably to carry the studs ???? Now, many houses are built with 9' and/or 10' ceilings... I wonder why we haven't seen 10' bed lengths ???? :whistling:

As for the garage, build a pole barn for the truck and trailer. Makes for excellent "off season storage" for boats, tractors, 4 wheelers and even tree stands......:cool:

sourdough
04-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Sitting here, reading this, and thinking...YUP, now you can see how really boring it gets in northern Michigan the evening before hopefully the LAST snowstorm of the season (7-10" predicted tomorrow)....

Twenty years ago most houses had 8' ceilings and truck beds were 8', probably to carry the studs ???? Now, many houses are built with 9' and/or 10' ceilings... I wonder why we haven't seen 10' bed lengths ???? :whistling:

As for the garage, build a pole barn for the truck and trailer. Makes for excellent "off season storage" for boats, tractors, 4 wheelers and even tree stands......:cool:

I think for me sitting through long, snowy winters would be difficult; and yes, it would be really boring. My wife was just texting with our friends we made in FL from Michigan today and they were supposed to leave FL April 1. She said it was going to snow (I suppose the storm you mention) and they decided to stay until the end of the month because they just couldn't bear to go back to the snow.

We have a house in the mountains at 9000 ft. and when we bought it we LOVED it. Snow was such a change from our semi arid location in TX and we just drank it up. After 20 years we quit going there in the winter. Constant snow is just a real pain....shovel snow to go out, shovel snow to get in, shovel snow to get to the stairs from the garage, plow the road....:banghead:
I'm the kind that has a hard time sitting still; I just don't sit. Trying to do stuff in that environment about drove me crazy, and in turn DW. Anyway, hope the storm passes so you can get busy camping.

When we built this house the high ceiling thing was going on so we have 8', 9', 10' and one section of 12' ceilings with various ceiling configurations. I thought we were doing OK...but never, ever thought about the garage except to tell them to make it 2' wider than the plans. Length didn't occur to me. Now here we are. I've thought about building a building to house a new, larger truck on our property adjacent to our house but my wife admonished me; "You wouldn't build a building for the trailer and rented a storage facility instead. WHY would you buy another vehicle and then build a building to store IT? You better think again Buster." And so it goes..... At least we will be back up to 78 tomorrow and the wind will only be about 20 mph instead of 50-55.:bdance:

ADQ K9
04-06-2017, 04:21 PM
My house was built in '74 and garage is 25 ft deep truck is 22 what is critical is height, 7 ft door and truck clears it by 1.5 inches at most. Hence the 18" wheels and no clearance lights.

sourdough
04-06-2017, 05:47 PM
I don't know how deep ours is actually. My 2500 4x4, 6.4' bed, CC fits in with maybe a foot to spare length wise (if I cut the rest of the concrete shelf out in front) and my clearance lights come in about 4"? under the door. What to do...:(

Dave W
04-07-2017, 02:48 AM
A little melodramatic I think. I have a shortbed F250, loading 4x8 sheets is a non-issue. You just tie the end so the load doesn't slide out.

If you carry that type of load on a regular basis, a longbed is more convenient, however a shortbed gives you more payload and has benefits of a shorter truck.

It is all about what your needs are.

Oh well, consider the source

Javi
04-07-2017, 04:19 AM
I don't know how deep ours is actually. My 2500 4x4, 6.4' bed, CC fits in with maybe a foot to spare length wise (if I cut the rest of the concrete shelf out in front) and my clearance lights come in about 4"? under the door. What to do...:(

Get the contractor over there and draw up plans for the pole barn your DW wanted for the trailer and make it 16' high 20' wide and 60' long and wired for 50amp service.... Problem solved...:facepalm:

Desert185
04-07-2017, 04:19 PM
With a dish and WIFI, of course.

sourdough
04-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Get the contractor over there and draw up plans for the pole barn your DW wanted for the trailer and make it 16' high 20' wide and 60' long and wired for 50amp service.... Problem solved...:facepalm:

Ohhhh Boy!!:eek: I'm talking to her about a new 1 ton and possibly a new fifth wheel.....and struggling. We'll be celebrating our 50th on Sept. 2 and I really would like to live to see that day and not sure how things would go if I dropped a set of plans on her for a new barn next door:ermm: On top of that I just had a guy here today to measure and spec a new fence around the perimeter of the property.

I'm just a little leery of pushing her too far....I've been taking her to practice at the range with a pistol in case she wants to get her CCP. She now knows how to operate them and has a key to the gun room......:nonono: :D Just kidding...she's good as gold.

66joej
04-07-2017, 06:02 PM
I'm just a little leery of pushing her too far....I've been taking her to practice at the range with a pistol in case she wants to get her CCP. She now knows how to operate them and has a key to the gun room...... Just kidding...she's good as gold.

Is this a good idea sourdough? Just kidding of course.:D

the sodfather
04-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Ohhhh Boy!!:eek: I'm talking to her about a new 1 ton and possibly a new fifth wheel.....and struggling. We'll be celebrating our 50th on Sept. 2 and I really would like to live to see that day and not sure how things would go if I dropped a set of plans on her for a new barn next door:ermm: On top of that I just had a guy here today to measure and spec a new fence around the perimeter of the property.

I'm just a little leery of pushing her too far....I've been taking her to practice at the range with a pistol in case she wants to get her CCP. She now knows how to operate them and has a key to the gun room......:nonono: :D Just kidding...she's good as gold.

I'm just a little leery of pushing her too far....I've been taking her to practice at the range with a pistol in case she wants to get her CCP. She now knows how to operate them and has a key to the gun room...... Just kidding...she's good as gold.

Is this a good idea sourdough? Just kidding of course.:D

Careful. All this gun talk will get this pickup bed size comparison thread shut down...:D

sourdough
04-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Careful. All this gun talk will get this pickup bed size comparison thread shut down...:D

Hopefully this isn't construed as "gun talk" by anyone. I mentioned, in passing, shooting at a range, working toward a CCP and my gun room; all are
very passive comments mentioned as I said, "in passing" - not the topic; every comment was related to 6.4 vs 8' beds and their accommodation even in jest.

Desert185
04-08-2017, 04:45 AM

Sounds like a keeper. I have one of those, too. :bow:

To keep the thread on track, get the long bed. :cool:

captcolour
04-08-2017, 05:47 AM
Appears that the short bed/long bed discussion was really driven by a concern of overall length. Have you thought about a SuperCab long bed? For a F250, the SuperCab long bed is only 4" longer than the SuperCrew short bed. The SuperCrew long bed is 16" longer. I just ordered the 2017 F-350 DRW Diesel SuperCab because didn't want the extra length from the crew cab, but still have the back seat.

I didn't order the tailgate ladder as I've added the Amp Research folding step to both of my F-150s. These attach and fold under at the corner of the bumper without any frame modification. I have bad knees and these work great. There is another brand out there which is cheaper and issues with breakage. Amp Research also makes a folding side step which would be great for the 5'er.

http://www.amp-research.com/products/truckaccessories/bedstep/

the sodfather
04-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Appears that the short bed/long bed discussion was really driven by a concern of overall length. Have you thought about a SuperCab long bed? For a F250, the SuperCab long bed is only 4" longer than the SuperCrew short bed. The SuperCrew long bed is 16" longer. I just ordered the 2017 F-350 DRW Diesel SuperCab because didn't want the extra length from the crew cab, but still have the back seat.

I didn't order the tailgate ladder as I've added the Amp Research folding step to both of my F-150s. These attach and fold under at the corner of the bumper without any frame modification. I have bad knees and these work great. There is another brand out there which is cheaper and issues with breakage. Amp Research also makes a folding side step which would be great for the 5'er.

Ya, those Amp Research steps are great. I have one to help climb into my "jacked up" 2500HD with the 6'5" bed...

ADQ K9
04-09-2017, 09:19 AM

I also Have the AMP steps on my truck. The bed steps are great Cause its a 4X4 350 and I love the way the Cab steps hide when they go up when they deploy they are actually lower than the factory fixed cab steps.