PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fridge-Amana/Whirlpool

yocsr
03-19-2017, 01:02 PM
This has nothing to do with Keystone. We purchased a 38' destination series which was a previous year model new on lot. It has a full size Amana fridge. The fridge has had an actual 6 1/2 months of use and quit cooling. Called Amana (which is actually whirlpool) and was told too bad the warranty is out. I put a new starting capacitor and run relay in it, still won't cool. It is a bad compressor or loss of freon. We should have had years of trouble free use as this is a residential fridge. I will never buy an Amana or Whirlpool product again - Mexican junk. We just bought a new GE fridge which we have had one in our home for years. I'm just sayin Amana/Whirlpool mexican junk, buyer beware.

sourdough
03-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems. Did it have a 1 year warranty and it began when the dealership got it?

As far as Whirlpool we've bought dozens of their products and have always had good luck. We buy the Whirlpool Gold series of stovetops, fridges, ovens, microwaves. We did it for all of our houses and just renovated my granddaughter's house in FL and installed them there - no issues. I'm trying to remember but I think Amana/Maytag/Whirlpool/KitchenAid/and some Kenmore products are all manufactured by Whirlpool. There are some pretty good brands there.

I will say I have one Amana product, a fridge, that I bought several years ago to live in my shop and it has performed admirably. They did not have a Whirlpool when I bought it so went with it because I wanted a basic 16' fridge. It sits in temps of well over 100 degrees in summer and cold winter weather - it runs 24 hours a day and all it does is keep buffing compounds cold.....or refreshments if I've got a project going. Oh, and I keep either pecans or green chiles in the freezer:D

chuckster57
03-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Warranty shouldn't have been "activated" until the RV was sold. Did you register the appliance when you purchased the trailer? Amana may have the date KEYSTONE bought it for installation in your unit, not the "in service" date.

kfxgreenie
03-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Do you by chance have the model and serial #?

Alpine
03-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Here is another option to get their attention. See if the company you are dealing with has a "Facebook" page! No company wants bad publicity!

My mother had a problem with a fridge (residential) that was out of warranty (by 1 year) and they said "sorry". As we all know a fridge should last years & years!

I found their page on Facebook & told my story! Yup they called & sent me messages... and the problem was taken care of! Give it a go!!!

yocsr
03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
The model # is A8TXNWFB*0*. Amana/Whirlpool started the warranty with the manufacturer which is wrong to begin with. The Park model was a 2014 and we bought it new late 2015. The one year Keystone warranty ran out in late 2016. This full size 17.6 cubic ft. fridge has 6 1/2 months of use. We bought a new GE fridge which will be delivered thursday and has a 5 year full warranty. It just gripes me that I had to spend $683.00 on an item that I should have had years of use out of.

JRTJH
03-20-2017, 01:24 PM
I was surprised to learn that the Whirlpool and Amana warranty terms were different. I always thought they were the same. Whirlpool is 1 year on everything and 5 years on the cooling system. Amana is 1 year total on the entire system. That said, I think I'd have argued the point on "in service date" by sending Amana the bill of sale for the trailer. That should "prove" to them when you bought their product. If they argued, I'd have used the example that the warranty doesn't start when they deliver their product to Best Buy, but when Best Buy sells it to a consumer. The same concept "should" apply here.

kfxgreenie
03-21-2017, 05:09 PM
I was surprised to learn that the Whirlpool and Amana warranty terms were different. I always thought they were the same. Whirlpool is 1 year on everything and 5 years on the cooling system. Amana is 1 year total on the entire system. That said, I think I'd have argued the point on "in service date" by sending Amana the bill of sale for the trailer. That should "prove" to them when you bought their product. If they argued, I'd have used the example that the warranty doesn't start when they deliver their product to Best Buy, but when Best Buy sells it to a consumer. The same concept "should" apply here.

Newer Whirlpool products within the last 8 years have a 1 year warranty across the board, which is the same as the Amana product. Maytag appliances carry a 10 year component warranty on certain components. In the case of a refrigerator the Compressor and only the Compressor is warrantied for 10 Years, no labor. When you get into the KitchenAid brand you get the better warranty 1 year everything 5 years sealed system parts and labor, and 10 years sealed systems parts.

You are more than likely correct in your example of Best Buy. The reason I was interested in the serial # was I wanted to see what was listed for warranty dates. And like you stated I bet if the OP went to WP with his Bill of sale of the RV he may have had a different outcome as Keystone was just the "distributor". That is unless Keystone purchased the product in a mass quantity with no warranty. If that is the case than Keystone should pony up.

The original poster was correct in the fact that WP corporation's Top Mount Refrigerators are made in Mexico, as well as SXS. The only other product that is manufactured outside of the states are the microwaves. All other products are at least assembled here and corporate $'s are spent here. All bottom mount refrigerators are made in Amana IA. The appliance industry has changed so much in the last 10 years and so much of it is due to meet new Energy guide lines. There is so much more to go wrong with appliances today over what was made 20 years ago it is not even a fair comparison. I understand the disgust with the shorter life of the appliances these days, and in this case more than likely poor workmanship.

GE sold their appliance division to Haier a Chinese company in the middle of last year. They have not changed anything in production yet, but time will tell. Samsung and LG appliances are Korean based and Electrolux a Swedish company owns the Frigidaire brands. Whirlpool corporation is the last "American" appliance manufacture. We sure are in a Global Economy no fighting it. We now just need to force other Countries manufacturing processes of products to be as globally friendly as we force our manufactures.

https://www.cnet.com/news/its-official-ge-appliances-belongs-to-haier/