PDA

View Full Version : Rec/Con pulling too much power

packmann
03-18-2017, 02:04 PM
I've connected my Keystone Passport 195RB to shore power at parks, so this wasn't a problem before. I built a solar system on my property for some future expansion and connected by trailer to it temporarily. Now, I check been checking power draws metering on the solar system. My unit draws 1680 watts continuously! Needless to say, that puts a huge load on the solar battery system. The load goes away when the Rec/Con breaker is off.

All of the 120 outlets work EXCEPT THE TWO CLOSEST TO THE BREAKER BOARD. (I used these for the TV and personal BluRay player, and internet router, etc.) These two only operate the Rec/Con is on. The makes watching TV necessarily bad because I have to are affected by this one breaker pulling a ton o' juice. My work around now is to keep switching the breaker on and off throughout the day. (I could run Christmas Tree extension cords around the unit to run the TV, etc. Not too practical, ducking and tripping all the time.)

Does anyone know a work around? There are a couple of slots for extra breakers.
1. Can I change this converter/charger to a smart charger so it only operates when the batteries are low?
2. Can I rewire the two other switches to AC and bypass the Ren/Con breaker?

If anyone has dealt with this? I'd be glad to hear their solutions and suggestions.

packmann

:dizzy:

PS: I scanned other posts in the forum and did not find this issue. Pardon me if this has already been dealt with.

hankpage
03-18-2017, 06:37 PM
I would suspect a battery problem. When your battery is fully charged the converter should be sending very little power to it. However, if your solar system is replacing shore power the converter is supplying all of the 12vdc that you are using also. Turning off the recp/con breaker will simply drain the battery causing higher converter draw when the breaker is turned back on. (vicious circle.) JM2¢, Hank

packmann
03-19-2017, 09:54 AM
This is an excellent suggestion. I'll replace the battery.

But I still have the issue of the non-GFI outlets working when the Rec/Con switch is off. I'd just like to have them on a separate breaker. I'll try the new battery first. Thanks.

JRTJH
03-19-2017, 10:16 AM
First, your battery may well be the reason for your increased load.

But, I'd ask you for some clarity before making that determination. You say that when you turn on the REC/CON circuit breaker you draw 1600 watts of power. Where are you measuring? At the breaker, at the power input, on a generator?

The reason I ask is because if you are measuring "ONLY" the 12 volt output of the converter, something is significantly wrong. On the other hand, if you're measuring the trailer input power, if your refrigerator is set to AUTO, it will switch to 110 VAC power or to 12VDC volt power based on your turning that circuit breaker off/on. Additonally, if your water heater "electric element" is set to ON, when you apply 110 volts, there is a 1100 watt heating element that will be energized.

So, I'd urge you to remove ALL power at ALL appliances, turn them to OFF, turn every circuit breaker off and pull all of the 12 volt fuses. Then turn the REC/CON breaker on, see how much "rise in demand" you have. I'm guessing it'll only be very minimal, probably less than 100 watts. Then start installing each 12 volt fuse. Check the increase in wattage demand after each fuse is installed. You may get some rise, but likely to be only a little bit of demand. Then turn on each breaker (with all the appliances still turned off). Then turn on each appliance and see where the increased power demand rises significantly. That circuit, whichever it may be, 12 volt DC or 120 VAC is where you're increasing your load. My guess is, it's not the converter....

Let us know what you see, if you choose to try this.

Good Luck

packmann
03-19-2017, 01:50 PM
I was measuring the load at the output of my inverter from my solar system. It was showing 40 amps....but.....I let it go for a while longer and it was pulling zero. After running things for a while, it was pulling 14 amps. A new battery will be showing up very soon.

I did try using the electricity to heat the water. Too much juice there – at least right now anyway.

This is not the solution I expected. So I really appreciate your input. And pointing me to the real problem. (That is besides the owner here.)

Thanks!

Tom