PDA

View Full Version : Registration sticker shock

Jetfixer03
03-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Man! Went to register our first TT the other day, we live in CO. Taxable value is 85% of MSRP, time 2.1% "ownership tax", + license fee of $125. So my little 19ft ultralight cost $525 bucks to register. Seems like a lot of freaking cash for a non-motorized unit that is on the road for 7ish months a year, and a few days a month at that. If you had bought a 5'r that was MSRP'd at $75k, but paid $50k, that'd be $1500ish a year just for registration. What a raquet!

How does that compare to other states? I moved from FL a couple of years ago and car reg was great....no advalorem tax, just like $75/yr.

OK, I'm done venting. (you should have heard me whining the day of! lol)

Javi
03-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Spent 4 years in Colorado... although collected at tag time that is a property tax... I knew it was there when I moved up there... don't miss it or the State income tax...

Jetfixer03
03-18-2017, 11:20 AM
The only bright side, if you can call it that is your various vehicles are spread out. I lived in NC, they have hefty vehicle reg fees as well, but they are all due on your birthday. If you have a few cars, bikes, trailer, etc that can really add up. "Happy Birthday! You owe us $2000."

JRTJH
03-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Well, somebody's gotta pay for the upkeep at Pearl Lake Recreation Area and ?????

As a comparison, our 2014 Cougar listed for 34000, we paid 6% sales tax on the purchase price (not MSRP) and $210 for a lifetime registration in Michigan. The same trailer in Louisiana would have been 4% sales tax (the last time I lived there) and $60 for a lifetime registration (or $10 annually for expiring plates)...

Every state is different, but when we lived in Denver in the '70's, there was a big flood at Cinderella City (shopping center) so the "city gubmint" decided to assess every home in Denver a 2% of assessed value "one time charge" to pay for flood control improvements. Along with that, they also increased the millage for property taxes to almost double the current rate. I believe that was in 1974 if I remember correctly.... There was an attitude of "we need (want) it, you got it so we'll tax it"......

As much as I miss "everything west of Golden, we still thank our lucky stars that we were able to sell everything when we were reassigned to Germany in 1975.

66joej
03-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Jetfixer03: That sounds a lot like our tax structure here in British Columbia Canada!

PARAPTOR
03-18-2017, 11:36 AM
Just sent in my annual truck registration $505 :facepalm: They say you have to pay to play :D

ADDED: Think Raptor registration was less than $50 a year

Ken / Claudia
03-18-2017, 11:36 AM
Oregon gets the tax money per ft. My RV is charged 195 for 2 years. The normal motor vehicle is 86 for 2 years. Only good thing about the higher RV license fees/tax is most of it goes to the state parks. So come here and visit knowing I paid a lot for that nice park. Just to saying I am not against the RV fees we do have nice parks because it them.

Jetfixer03
03-18-2017, 11:43 AM
If that were the case here I'd feel a lot better about it. Unfortunately it looks like it's just lumped in as another vehicle registration.

I still love living in CO, we get to enjoy a lot of natural beauty every day. You know how it is though, when it's time to pay up we love to gripe! It's human nature.

Javi
03-18-2017, 12:01 PM
If that were the case here I'd feel a lot better about it. Unfortunately it looks like it's just lumped in as another vehicle registration.

I still love living in CO, we get to enjoy a lot of natural beauty every day. You know how it is though, when it's time to pay up we love to gripe! It's human nature.

Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.

They said that back in the early 70's when we moved up to Little Deer Creek.. just before the Hog Back..:D

But it don't matter what they call it.. it's a property tax.. and they collect it at the same time they sell you the plates.. sure way to guarantee they get their money

sourdough
03-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Man! And I was just telling my wife I was ready to bail out of TX and try something new (won't be CO!!). When I got my registration renewal for the trailer ($70?) and then have to go get it inspected it just irritated me. My property taxes are out of sight (for out here - I'm sure they're not compared to the rest of the country) but I guess I'll be happy with the registration fee and the $14? inspection fee. Guess I'll learn to be happy with what I have:o

PARAPTOR
03-18-2017, 04:53 PM
$14 inspection and sticker? Around here and discussed in a previous post, this is classified as a "Lick um, Stick um :banghead:

Javi
03-18-2017, 04:59 PM
$14 inspection and sticker? Around here and discussed in a previous post, this is classified as a "Lick um, Stick um :banghead:
$7 to the state and $7 to the inspection station. They check that the lights work, the brakes stop, wipers and if you got insurance. Pays mechanic .15 hours.

Javi

TAZ23
03-18-2017, 05:06 PM
Wow. I feel a lot better about our fees in Wisconsin now.
$85 for a half ton truck
$106 for a 3/4 or one ton
$15 for a travel trailer. (and no inspections)
All plates are for one year.

rhagfo
03-18-2017, 10:43 PM
Oregon gets the tax money per ft. My RV is charged 195 for 2 years. The normal motor vehicle is 86 for 2 years. Only good thing about the higher RV license fees/tax is most of it goes to the state parks. So come here and visit knowing I paid a lot for that nice park. Just to saying I am not against the RV fees we do have nice parks because it them.

Yes, part of stable funding of OPRD, User fees, 60% of RV registration fees and a share of lottery proceeds. we are right at $200 for our 5er.

Desert185
03-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Man! And I was just telling my wife I was ready to bail out of TX and try something new (won't be CO!!). When I got my registration renewal for the trailer ($70?) and then have to go get it inspected it just irritated me. My property taxes are out of sight (for out here - I'm sure they're not compared to the rest of the country) but I guess I'll be happy with the registration fee and the $14? inspection fee. Guess I'll learn to be happy with what I have:o

Actually, the TX property taxes are "out of sight" compared to much of the country, but you don't have income tax. The tough part would be paying exorbitant property taxes AND income taxes, sales tax, vehicle registration fees and inspection/smog, etc.

Choosing where you live, depending on your financial situation, can have a huge monetary impact.

Javi
03-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Actually, the TX property taxes are "out of sight" compared to much of the country, but you don't have income tax. The tough part would be paying exorbitant property taxes AND income taxes, sales tax, vehicle registration fees and inspection/smog, etc.

Choosing where you live, depending on your financial situation, can have a huge monetary impact.

The cool thing is that only "REAL" property is taxed... no bass boats, or travel trailers... I loved living in Colorado... but don't miss the taxes..

'sides my family has been in Texas since before it was a Republic...

Pmedic4
03-19-2017, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=sourdough;228460]Man! And I was just telling my wife I was ready to bail out of TX and try something new (won't be CO!!). When I got my registration renewal for the trailer ($70?) and then have to go get it inspected it just irritated me. My property taxes are out of sight (for out here - I'm sure they're not compared to the rest of the country) but I guess I'll be happy with the registration fee and the $14? inspection fee. Guess I'll learn to be happy with what I have:o[/QUOTE

Illinois RV registration fees are low too.

New purchases are based on weight, new with title for over 10,000 is $145, of which $95 is just to process the title. Renewal is just $50 a year, and at least no inspection in our county - not sure about other counties. Mine is only $30 a year to renew the plates.

Property taxes now, yeah, you're in trouble.

Murmaids
03-19-2017, 05:50 PM
Wow, oh, wow!

Here in Michigan we register a TT once, for life of owership. The state just raised how they figure the costs. You pay buy what it is worth, not what you pay for it. But for a TT about $50,000.00, it's way under $500.00, remember, as long as you own it. No renewal of the license plate yearly. Motor homes are like a vehicle. You pay registration yearly, what it is wort, not what you paid for it.

Desert185
03-19-2017, 06:57 PM
The cool thing is that only "REAL" property is taxed... no bass boats, or travel trailers... I loved living in Colorado... but don't miss the taxes..

'sides my family has been in Texas since before it was a Republic...

My son lives in Houston and has a place in Spicewood. We're doing a hog hunt later this year. I like Texas.

Alpine
03-19-2017, 07:48 PM
This should make y'all feel much better. After retirement in 2013 we relocated to Idaho for few years. To register, license and tag our newer truck and fifth wheel they had to see the Bills of Sales for each. The fees/taxes were set on the value of our truck & 5ver. So before leaving we wrote a check for $5,000. Yes, that is three zeros!!! Oh and you have to re-license your RV every December!

sourdough
03-19-2017, 08:12 PM
My son lives in Houston and has a place in Spicewood. We're doing a hog hunt later this year. I like Texas.

Spicewood? Like between Austin and Marble Falls? I lived in Marble for a couple of years.....beautiful area.

B-O-B'03
03-19-2017, 09:08 PM

I just went through the same hassle.

Hooking the trailer up, dragging it to the local service station, getting it inspected, then you can go on line and register it... $77.75 for the annual registration.

At least now they give a $1 discount, for on-line registration, instead of charging $2 extra for it.

-Brian

bsmith0404
03-20-2017, 04:22 AM
When we were getting ready to retire from the Air Force we considered many things for location. Being from WI and NY and having been stationed in WY and IL, we both said limited cold/snow. I love CO, but the cost of living is too high and limits how far we can stretch our retirement dollar. NM has a 3% sales tax on major purchases. Our property taxes are low as well, we pay less than $2k on a $250k home. BTW, that $250k is the cost of a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2,500 sq ft, 3 car garage with in-ground pool and spa. Many places this home would be in the neighborhood of $350-400k. As for the truck and RV, I don't remember exact numbers, but I think the truck was around $50 per year and the 5er is $35 per year. We have the option for a 2 year tag, but it's not discounted, just convenient. If I was concerned about being more in the mountains, I would just move to Ruidosa, but I prefer to drive 1.5 hours to get to the snow.

Cyberian
03-20-2017, 09:41 AM
In MT, TT over 16' is flat rate $167 and permanent plates. My '03 Dodge CTD was a little over $90 for permanent plates a couple years ago.

The real winners here are Class-A Big Rigs paid by age. $282.50 yr for a brand new 1/2 million $ motorhome.

Our fuel taxes are pretty high. We've got a lot of highways to support with not much population.

sourdough
03-20-2017, 10:14 AM
When we were getting ready to retire from the Air Force we considered many things for location. Being from WI and NY and having been stationed in WY and IL, we both said limited cold/snow. I love CO, but the cost of living is too high and limits how far we can stretch our retirement dollar. NM has a 3% sales tax on major purchases. Our property taxes are low as well, we pay less than $2k on a $250k home. BTW, that $250k is the cost of a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2,500 sq ft, 3 car garage with in-ground pool and spa. Many places this home would be in the neighborhood of $350-400k. As for the truck and RV, I don't remember exact numbers, but I think the truck was around $50 per year and the 5er is $35 per year. We have the option for a 2 year tag, but it's not discounted, just convenient. If I was concerned about being more in the mountains, I would just move to Ruidosa, but I prefer to drive 1.5 hours to get to the snow.

^^^The 3% sales tax is why we register our vehicles in NM when they are purchased. Beats the 6.25% in TX. And yes, our taxes on our mountain house are far less than our TX house and the one in NM is worth more. Insurance is much less as well. When I was transferred to TX from NM everyone said how great it would be to get away from the state income tax. Well, once here I found that the increased taxes and insurance rates almost doubled what I was paying in NM for everything.

1 1/2 hours to Ruidoso? Cruces or further north? We're in Cloudcroft so about 45 minutes for us:).

Jeff & Tzigane
03-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Here in Petersburg Virginia we are getting raped yearly. Personal Property tax on a on a 2013 Cougar High Country 246RLS a little over $1220 every year its supposed to drop every year as it gets older I will have to see. Plates and Registration was about $95.00 one time fee they never expire. Inspection is $ 15.00 yearly. $330.00 Personal Property Tax yearly for Tow Vehicle. I need to find somewhere to register my 5th wheel and Tow vehicle that doesn't have Personal Property Tax.

Barbell
03-29-2017, 10:10 AM
In beautiful Arizona, for registartion fees, we paid just under $1500 on the truck and just over $1000 on the fiver for two years. Truck is '16 CTD 3500 and fiver is '14 Montana 3100RL. Am able to stagger them so both don't come due same year and they decline some each renewal. What eats us alive is the 10.3 % sales tax.

Desert185
03-29-2017, 02:54 PM
Spicewood? Like between Austin and Marble Falls? I lived in Marble for a couple of years.....beautiful area.

Yes and yes. :thumbsup:

BirchyBoy
03-29-2017, 03:05 PM
We just bought a new motor home in NC and we're in the process of moving to GA. I got our NC plates with a bill for $633 due within 60 days. Going to GA, I'm looking at a bill for about $7k. The cheap side of me says to register it in NC this year, but the nervous side says to buck up and pay to play.

bsmith0404
03-29-2017, 04:41 PM
^^^The 3% sales tax is why we register our vehicles in NM when they are purchased. Beats the 6.25% in TX. And yes, our taxes on our mountain house are far less than our TX house and the one in NM is worth more. Insurance is much less as well. When I was transferred to TX from NM everyone said how great it would be to get away from the state income tax. Well, once here I found that the increased taxes and insurance rates almost doubled what I was paying in NM for everything.

1 1/2 hours to Ruidoso? Cruces or further north? We're in Cloudcroft so about 45 minutes for us:).

Las Cruces.

Desert185
03-29-2017, 04:48 PM
My biggest concern is state income tax (none), followed by property tax (reasonably low by comparison). Apparently, after reading some of the details of other states, I have no room for complaint here in the big empty state of NV.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move right along. Cows not condos. Terrible place. Have a nice day.

gearhead
03-29-2017, 06:41 PM
Texas ain't bad compared to some others. I had folks here in 1819, so I'm I guess I'm staying. My sister just finished her summer place in Angel Fire, NM. Now I see why. She can squeeze a penny. If I ever leave here, it might be there.

Webefulltime
03-30-2017, 03:09 AM
Moved to Tennessee in 1984 and still loving it. 2012 F350 SD Lariat $27.00 year and 2012 Montana fiver $14.00 year. Also no state income tax. :D

gearhead
04-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Moved to Tennessee in 1984 and still loving it. 2012 F350 SD Lariat $27.00 year and 2012 Montana fiver $14.00 year. Also no state income tax. :D
Hmm...maybe backtrack my ancestors to Gallatin. Kinda pretty there.
How y'all pay for schools and roads? Property taxes high?

Tbos
04-02-2017, 07:14 AM
We just bought a new motor home in NC and we're in the process of moving to GA. I got our NC plates with a bill for $633 due within 60 days. Going to GA, I'm looking at a bill for about $7k. The cheap side of me says to register it in NC this year, but the nervous side says to buck up and pay to play.

Birchy,
Why so much in GA? What made you decide to move to a MH?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

notanlines
04-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Gearhead, roads? Really? No state spends good money on roads anymore. A lot easier to spend the road tax dollars on law enforcement and driver's ed.

Ronthecanadian
04-02-2017, 02:49 PM
In Ontario there is a one time fee $72 to register.