PDA

View Full Version : Do You Plug and Pray, or, Are You Surge Protected ?

K.C. Jones
03-17-2017, 06:55 PM
Hello All…
I hope everyone is enjoying the Last Weekend of Winter!!!

My Question is:
Do you use any Surge/Electrical Protection Device when you “Plug In” Your RV?

I just ordered a - Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X 30A Digital Surge Protector with Weather Shield ,and was wondering if I made a good investment to help protect our new RV?

Thanks for Reading….

K.C.

chuckster57
03-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Any protection is better than none. I haven't rolled craps yet in 28 years of RVing, but now that CG's are aging and more people are using them I am probably going to install a hard wired with remote soon.

PARAPTOR
03-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Surge/Electrical protection I Think these are a must have!!!. Seems like you already picked one, Good!!

Now if you like Ford/Chevy endless discussions, just do a search using say surge protection EMS, etc. Two main mfg Surge Guard, which I have their EMS, and Progessive models.

sourdough
03-17-2017, 07:30 PM
I do not know that particular model (didn't look it up) but you "must have" a surge protector in my opinion. Ours has saved us from very expensive damage multiple times. DON"T leave home without it. The better the unit, the better off you are.

Nitka
03-17-2017, 08:18 PM
I'm not the techie in my family, but I know we're not only protected, but monitored. He has a monitor and constantly watches it, we found giant spikes at one park. It was the first upgrade he did before our first trip out. But this is the first time we've done this and we've "RVd" in something since 2001.

Steve S
03-17-2017, 08:32 PM
For most of my RVing I've never bothered but with the cost of new converters and boards it only makes sense to have one. I even use it in between the TT and the generator as if it malfunctions it could send a pretty big jolt of power through everything and fry it pretty quickly.
A good surge protector doesn't cost much compared to a ruined vacation waiting for parts.:facepalm:

xrated
03-18-2017, 03:54 AM
I installed the hard wired version of the Progressive Industries 50A model with remote display a couple of weekends ago. We bought the T.H. last October and have not used it yet, but it will be protected when it is taken out. I installed a 50A shore power hook up at my house, and have used that quite a bit over the winter, but shortly it will go out for the first time in a "public" hook up. In my opinion, an EMS is one of the most needed add ons that you can buy...for protection of your investment.

CrazyCain
03-18-2017, 04:01 AM
Using one as i type..

JPillivant
03-18-2017, 07:26 AM
What do you think of the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X 30A Digital Surge Protector? Have you had the opportunity to use it much? Trying to decide on which one I want to get for our RV as well.

Tbos
03-18-2017, 07:45 AM
I have the plug in type and it saved us twice last season when power poles were wired wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JPillivant
03-18-2017, 08:06 AM
Hi Tbos, so you are using the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X 30 A?

Desert185
03-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Prayer AND protection prevents post traumatic profanity. Always use a surge protector...and it never hurts to pray.

Tbos
03-18-2017, 09:48 AM
Hi Tbos, so you are using the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X 30 A?

Mine is a Surge Guard brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PARAPTOR
03-18-2017, 10:25 AM
JPillivant; Just noticed in your New Member login post you had stated that you had three previous TT's. Just curious what protection unit did you use then?? Were you happy with the operation of those? Again to me this is a Ford/Chevy endless discussion. They both work pick one. I can tell you what will be a bad selection, NOT HAVING ONE , disaster :eek: waiting to happen

JPillivant
03-18-2017, 12:25 PM
To tell you the truth I don't remember, it's been awhile.

PARAPTOR
03-18-2017, 01:28 PM
:wlcm: to The Old Folks Side :lol:

14george
03-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Got the plug in type started using it a Year ago didn't save me yet better have it and not need one then wished you had one

PARAPTOR
03-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Got the plug in type started using it a Year ago didn't save me yet better have it and not need one then wished you had one

Insurance Policy, there when its needed :D

Outback 325BH
03-18-2017, 01:59 PM
I use a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C. That is simply the model number of their hard-wired 50 amp EMS with the remote display. I have the display mounted on my wall above my InCommand touch-screen. I have had it for one season and love it.

In addition to that, I use a Hughes Autoformer for voltage boosting when voltage gets too low. Ahead of these items, I run a Progressive Industries SSP-50XL surge protector as the sacrificial device in order to protect the Autoformer and EMS upstream. The Autoformer and EMS do have their own surge protection, however I would rather fry the less expensive SSP than the more expensive Autoformer or EMS.

I also connected my "hard-wired" EMS via plugs and receptacles so I can easily remove it when necessary. I used a total of two plugs and two receptacles to do this. When removed, I can simply connect the cord together to keep power flowing. By circumstance I also have a spare pedestal model EMS-PT50. I should be covered for just about any contingency... LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K.C. Jones
03-18-2017, 02:15 PM
I installed the hard wired version of the Progressive Industries 50A model with remote display a couple of weekends ago. We bought the T.H. last October and have not used it yet, but it will be protected when it is taken out. I installed a 50A shore power hook up at my house, and have used that quite a bit over the winter, but shortly it will go out for the first time in a "public" hook up. In my opinion, an EMS is one of the most needed add ons that you can buy...for protection of your investment.

Hello xrated

I was going to go with the “Permanent Mount Version” but I was worried that if I installed it I would void my Extended Warranty? Plus…With the Lifetime Guarantee it would be easier for me to send it back - should I need to.
I must say your way is no doubt the best way to go!!

Have a great day!!

K.C.

K.C. Jones
03-18-2017, 02:20 PM
JPillivant; Just noticed in your New Member login post you had stated that you had three previous TT's. Just curious what protection unit did you use then?? Were you happy with the operation of those? Again to me this is a Ford/Chevy endless discussion. They both work pick one. I can tell you what will be a bad selection, NOT HAVING ONE , disaster :eek: waiting to happen

Hello PARAPTER,

Hope you didn’t get to much snow…this last storm!!
We really dodged the Bullet here…maybe 2 inches

Now if Ford or Chevy offered a Lifetime Warrantee…like Zippo. That could tip the scales…lol
I just hope that Progressive is a reputable Company that doesn’t go Belly Up, and will be there should I ever need them.
Time will Tell

Have a Great Day!!

K.C.

PARAPTOR
03-18-2017, 03:07 PM
Hello PARAPTER,

Hope you didn’t get to much snow…this last storm!!
We really dodged the Bullet here…maybe 2 inches

Now if Ford or Chevy offered a Lifetime Warrantee…like Zippo. That could tip the scales…lol
I just hope that Progressive is a reputable Company that doesn’t go Belly Up, and will be there should I ever need them.
Time will Tell

Have a Great Day!!

K.C.

Hey Hi There !!

Thought That your Black Bear may have got you or you took my suggestion about forgetting RV door locks and invited the bear in and were on the road :lol:

You wish you had a Zippo lighter may be able to exchange for a Camper?? Yeap, I have experienced many life time warranties that I have out lived. As I have stated in previous posts there are pro and cons to both manufactures as well as styles (Portable or Hardwired). I still say pick one before you experience why they are needed :banghead:.

In my case progressive does not have a solution for my criteria to protect the Raptor against shore power as well as my on board generator, Surge Guard did. I have a detailed post describing my requirements and my implementation. Search EMS.

If I did not have these unique requirements I would have also considered Progressive and would have thoroughly studied what their life time warranty encompassed.

As far as last snow, which one? Think it was yesterday in mid forties and thought great would get my spare out from under the Raptor and go get my new Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST235/85R16 F mounted and balanced. Looked out a while later snowing like H***L and ground covered. Not lying in the snow playing with a tire :facepalm:

We really want to now about the Black Bear guarding you rig.

xrated
03-18-2017, 03:59 PM
Hello xrated

I was going to go with the “Permanent Mount Version” but I was worried that if I installed it I would void my Extended Warranty? Plus…With the Lifetime Guarantee it would be easier for me to send it back - should I need to.
I must say your way is no doubt the best way to go!!

Have a great day!!

K.C.

I don't see any reason why it would have voided your warranty. The worst part about installing the permanent one is where I had to contort my old body for a couple of hours while wiring it up. My transfer switch is in the one and only baggage compartment that I have on the Toy Hauler and it's definitly NOT standing room only. It's accessed from the outside (natually) and under the queen bed. By the time I got done, I thought I might have to call the fire department to help extricate me from the "box"! :D

K.C. Jones
03-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Hey Hi There !!

Thought That your Black Bear may have got you or you took my suggestion about forgetting RV door locks and invited the bear in and were on the road :lol:

You wish you had a Zippo lighter may be able to exchange for a Camper?? Yeap, I have experienced many life time warranties that I have out lived. As I have stated in previous posts there are pro and cons to both manufactures as well as styles (Portable or Hardwired). I still say pick one before you experience why they are needed :banghead:.

In my case progressive does not have a solution for my criteria to protect the Raptor against shore power as well as my on board generator, Surge Guard did. I have a detailed post describing my requirements and my implementation. Search EMS.

If I did not have these unique requirements I would have also considered Progressive and would have thoroughly studied what their life time warranty encompassed.

As far as last snow, which one? Think it was yesterday in mid forties and thought great would get my spare out from under the Raptor and go get my new Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST235/85R16 F mounted and balanced. Looked out a while later snowing like H***L and ground covered. Not lying in the snow playing with a tire :facepalm:

We really want to now about the Black Bear guarding you rig.

LOL. PARAPTER.

Bears got my Bees… so I bought me one of these. 45-70 Gov’t ..I hate the thought of not being at the top of the food chain!!
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228457_0_3abeab11f12dfc158d8e73e8be9b5694.jpg

I don’t blame you for not wanting to “Lay in the Snow” I get cold just watching someone make a Snow Angel…lol

Keep Warm

K.C.

K.C. Jones
03-19-2017, 04:04 AM
I don't see any reason why it would have voided your warranty. The worst part about installing the permanent one is where I had to contort my old body for a couple of hours while wiring it up. My transfer switch is in the one and only baggage compartment that I have on the Toy Hauler and it's definitly NOT standing room only. It's accessed from the outside (natually) and under the queen bed. By the time I got done, I thought I might have to call the fire department to help extricate me from the "box"! :D

Contort…lol
Now there’s a word that scares me!!
I thought about that word and it helped tip the scales toward the portable unit…
My Extended Warrantee is with Asset Protection …I wonder if they would see an issue on a self-install?
One thing is for sure if they would ever try to say an electrical issue on my end caused the Damage…I’ll have Progressive on my side…..I hope??

Have a Great Day…

K.C.

xrated
03-19-2017, 04:37 AM
Yea, it's kind of a funny word for sure, but certainly the right choice for working in such a small confined space. I thought about doing the portable one, but I guess I'm just hard-headed enough to say...."what the heck",....I'm an Electrician, I got this. Knowing how to do it (pretty simple really), and actually being able to physically do it are two entirely different things. The factory wiring certainly isn't rubber covered flexible cord (SOOW or such), the getting that out of the load side of the transfer switch and into the EMS was bit of a challenge, but being in the small space proved to be the most challenging. It's done though, and I'm more than happy with the results. I did have to crawl/contort myself back in there to run the small wire for the remote display unit, and that was a piece of cake compared to the time spent doing the EMS main wiring install. It's all working now and I tested it out by hooking up to my 50A shore power at the house.

As far as your warranty goes, I can't answer that question. I do know that working on cars/truck/motorcycles/etc., there is nothing that says that you have to take it back to a dealer to keep your warranty intact, if you do the work yourself or have someone do it for you. I've always done as much of that stuff as I feel comfortable doing, but I do always save the receipts for parts purchased etc, just in case there is an issue moving forward. Anyway, you'll feel much better knowing that your camper is protected.......

Even if you took the easy way out!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :D :hide:

Desert185
03-19-2017, 08:24 AM
:wlcm: to The Old Folks Side :lol:

We aren't old. We're used, to a degree.:cool:

Desert185
03-19-2017, 08:29 AM
LOL. PARAPTER.

Bears got my Bees… so I bought me one of these. 45-70 Gov’t ..I hate the thought of not being at the top of the food chain!!
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228557_0_3abeab11f12dfc158d8e73e8be9b5694.jpg

I don’t blame you for not wanting to “Lay in the Snow” I get cold just watching someone make a Snow Angel…lol

Keep Warm

K.C.

Oh-oh! Guns are borderline taboo on this site. Threads tend to close pretty fast when guns are mentioned. See you on www.glocktalk.com! A one-stop shop for all things firearm.

:thumbsup:

goducks
03-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Do I need a surge protector if I'm dry camping? We dry camp 80% of the time and the other is elec/water and maybe sewer. Never had an issue in 6 years.

chuckster57
03-19-2017, 10:13 AM
No need for a surge protector until you plug the shore cord in.

sourdough
03-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Oh-oh! Guns are borderline taboo on this site. Threads tend to close pretty fast when guns are mentioned. See you on www.glocktalk.com! A one-stop shop for all things firearm.

:thumbsup:

It's just a picture of a nice gun.....one I might need to look into; not a discussion of the pros and cons of them. I would think it's OK unless someone took it in another direction.

Outback 325BH
03-19-2017, 11:18 AM
It's just a picture of a nice gun.....one I might need to look into; not a discussion of the pros and cons of them. I would think it's OK unless someone took it in another direction.

This site would close a thread if you posted a picture of a pop-tart in the shape of a pistol.

Forest River Forum is even worse. They must draw the libs of the camping world... LOL.

JPillivant
03-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Right on, at least I know some RVer's are pro second amendment like me.

xrated
03-19-2017, 01:19 PM
Right on, at least I know some RVer's are pro second amendment like me.

That would be me.....but I ain't talkin' about it on here. Of course, I'm from E. TN, so that's pretty much a given.

JRTJH
03-19-2017, 03:56 PM
:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

The forum topic is SURGE PROTECTORS, gentlemen. Please post "ON TOPIC" posts or refrain from posting. This is not a place to discuss guns, the second amendment or to make snide remarks about the shape of a pop tart.

Thank you all for your thoughts, but unless they conform to the forum rules and are related to the thread topic, please keep them to yourself....

xrated
03-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Sorry John.

Outback 325BH
03-19-2017, 05:17 PM
:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

The forum topic is SURGE PROTECTORS, gentlemen. Please post "ON TOPIC" posts or refrain from posting. This is not a place to discuss guns, the second amendment or to make snide remarks about the shape of a pop tart.

Thank you all for your thoughts, but unless they conform to the forum rules and are related to the thread topic, please keep them to yourself....

Can I ask an honest question? Of all the threads that veer off-topic, why the instant freak-out over guns?

Yes, yes, I know this is a private forum. I get it. I really do. But why is that topic taboo while virtually everything else in the world is OK.

Seems to me our constitution should be embraced and celebrated, not censored. (Again, I know this is a private business and can do what it wants, my question is "why" ... not saying you can't.)

Javi
03-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Can I ask an honest question? Of all the threads that veer off-topic, why the instant freak-out over guns?

Yes, yes, I know this is a private forum. I get it. I really do. But why is that topic taboo while virtually everything else in the world is OK.

Seems to me our constitution should be embraced and celebrated, not censored. (Again, I know this is a private business and can do what it wants, my question is "why" ... not saying you can't.)

You should understand that a good many of the mods and admin ain't from the USA. It's their sandbox, don't leave scat

Javi

Outback 325BH
03-19-2017, 06:16 PM
You should understand that a good many of the mods and admin ain't from the USA. It's their sandbox, don't leave scat

Javi

Yeah, I just got a "infraction" via a private message. I guess asking a question is verboten! (Even asking nicely.) LOL. Don't understand that at all.

Thanks for the insight Javi.

K.C. Jones
03-20-2017, 12:14 PM
That was Quick!

I ordered on the Friday the 17th and I received on Monday the 20th from Kent WA to N/W Pa.!!
The Unit is bigger then I thought it would be….not that it matters. (16 oz water bottle for comparison)

I must admit it does look like a serious piece of RV protection…lol
I can’t wait to test it out…”The Proof is in the Pudding”

Thanks for reading

K.C.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228817_0_f53e00cf301a787487edc9d1f6e1687f.jpgh ttp://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228817_1_d191b9bb6c8a3802282bcb15a1ddad80.jpgh ttp://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228817_2_f335283d8552e8c36c5e575123fe95af.jpgh ttp://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228817_3_78a7fa1d58e4b825ec757b7c8a6c2385.jpgh ttp://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228817_4_86a16820c2154217f05d18d28bf80e06.jpg

PARAPTOR
03-20-2017, 12:27 PM
Looks Good, is that a bear claw mark on the front :lol:

Unfortunately there is no way to really adequately test these things, remember it is an insurance policy, Life insurance policies are tough to test after you buy one. Only will know when the time comes. We all hope something is in that enclosures we buy :eek: In my eyes it is a must have!!!

Not sure about you up there but seems to be trying to get to 50; HEAT WAVE

B-O-B'03
03-20-2017, 01:02 PM
That was Quick!

I ordered on the Friday the 17th and I received on Monday the 20th from Kent WA to N/W Pa.!!
The Unit is bigger then I thought it would be….not that it matters. (16 oz water bottle for comparison)

Thanks for reading

K.C.

I have their hardwired version, it has stopped the flow of power a couple times and with the remote display you can see what the previous error was.

I am very happy with mine.

A portable unit might make it easier to tell if the power in your current site is acceptable, before you get all setup... guess you could also walk the other sites with it, to find a good one.

-Brian

K.C. Jones
03-20-2017, 01:29 PM
I have their hardwired version, it has stopped the flow of power a couple times and with the remote display you can see what the previous error was.

I am very happy with mine.

A portable unit might make it easier to tell if the power in your current site is acceptable, before you get all setup... guess you could also walk the other sites with it, to find a good one.

-Brian

Testing the site for Clean Electric now that’s a really good Idea!
In the same campground I’m sure some sites are better then others..
This one will also throw a code. You just have to walk outside to see it.

K.C.

xrated
03-20-2017, 01:53 PM
K.C. Jones wrote:
This one will also throw a code. You just have to walk outside to see it.

Binoculars........and a focused beam flashlight of about 600 lumens! Seriously!

sourdough
03-20-2017, 01:54 PM
That was Quick!

Thanks for reading

K.C.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228835_0_f53e00cf301a787487edc9d1f6e1687f.jpgh ttp://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228835_1_d191b9bb6c8a3802282bcb15a1ddad80.jpgh ttp://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228835_2_f335283d8552e8c36c5e575123fe95af.jpgh ttp://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228835_3_78a7fa1d58e4b825ec757b7c8a6c2385.jpgh ttp://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_228835_4_86a16820c2154217f05d18d28bf80e06.jpg

Congrats on the new surge protector! Ours has saved our bacon many times and I'm sure you will find yours just as useful. You actually can take it to sites without the trailer. If I'm in a remote place with few to no people I just take a multi meter, make the rounds to check all the legs at the ped then take the surge guard to the one I want to make sure it looks good with it. You will also find some peds are really low so you have to kind of kink things up to get it to plug in. Don't worry though......all will be good:)

GMcKenzie
03-23-2017, 06:01 AM
I had a portable surge guard, but sold it and bought a hard wired progressive unit. I like the remote display and the thought that it isn't going to grow legs and walk off.

It's cut power a few times. No idea if it would have blown a board or not, but good to know it does what it should.

Only thing is I wish I could reset the display (clear the error) without unplugging the trailer. I either have to unplug for 2 minutes or put up with the error # flashing. But that is a minor annoyance.

K.C. Jones
03-23-2017, 07:12 AM
I can think of no reason other then the “All Mighty Dollar” why Progressive did not include a Reset button with their EMS systems. I hate the thought of Rebooting the RV just to clear a code!

LOL I’ve seen Pool Balls grow legs, so, I will cable lock my unit to the power pole…just to stunt their growth..

K.C.

temccarthy1
04-08-2017, 07:55 PM
I have had the Progressive Industries 30 AMP portable EMS unit since last year and it saved our A*** several times on 1 camping trip with a NY State Park( Cayuga Lake State Park) that had a constant OVERVOLTAGE issue! The unit shut off our power several times a day when the volts were too high and prevented thousands of $ of damage! Amazingly, park rangers KNEW they had a problem and said it had existed for several years but there was not a budget yet to correct it! Said most campers do not have a sophisticated unit like the Progressive and do not realize the damage they are incurring that may not show up for a while but will shorten the life of electronics! The very next NY state Park had undervoltage and our EMS shut down power several times! DO NOT BE WITHOUT ONE OF THESE! Lifetime warranty also!

66joej
04-09-2017, 04:02 AM
Just installed a EMS-HW30C. $400 up here. Was told it was a waste of money. Think I'll let her read some of these posts.

PARAPTOR
04-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Just installed a EMS-HW30C. $400 up here. Was told it was a waste of money. Think I'll let her read some of these posts.

Better yet thought I seen posts a while ago showing burnt up equipment apparently the result of no protection :facepalm:. May want to show her those posts. I have looked for the pictures but ran out of :popcorn: Have to get more so going to reference our forum popcorn thread

66joej
04-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Thanks PARAPTOR will find them. A picture is worth a thousand words. At least it used work that way.:hide:

GMcKenzie
04-18-2017, 10:24 AM

Let her know I've had mine protect things at Wood Lake just north of Kelowna. Once for lightning and once for voltage drop (everyone running AC in August). The park has upgraded it's power a few years back, so I've not had the voltage drop for at least two years, but the lightning spikes can happen anytime.

And I'm pretty sure the poser in the Okanagan is no worse than around Radium.

66joej
04-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Another question about EMS-HW30D. Plugged the TT in and I noticed a humming noise emanating from the unit. Called Progressive Industries and the fellow there said that means it's working. The hum is akin to something like Chinese water torture. No problem but after the 3rd day??? Don't think that it is normal. Anyone experience this?

Outback 325BH
04-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Another question about EMS-HW30D. Plugged the TT in and I noticed a humming noise emanating from the unit. Called Progressive Industries and the fellow there said that means it's working. The hum is akin to something like Chinese water torture. No problem but after the 3rd day??? Don't think that it is normal. Anyone experience this?

Turn on the stereo or air conditioner!

BuxCamper
04-18-2017, 11:46 AM
It's the relay within the unit. An electromagnet holds the relay closed so power is passed to the trailer.

-- Mark

66joej
04-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Turn on the stereo or air conditioner!

Air conditioner in Canada?:lol::lol::lol:
We actually do get the odd warm day.

66joej
04-18-2017, 12:43 PM
It's the relay within the unit. An electromagnet holds the relay closed so power is passed to the trailer.

-- Mark

Thanks Mark, exactly what the Progressive guy said.
Just the hum I don't like.:nonono:

BuxCamper
04-18-2017, 01:55 PM
I haven't mounted mine yet but I have a piece of old mouse pad. I'm thinking of mounting the protector box on top of that so the mounting surface doesn't become a sounding board. I've done that with the pump in the current camper and my previous one. Helps the pump so it should help the Progressive Industries box.