PDA

View Full Version : Made in USA trailer tires balanced and installed

srvnt
03-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Had my new Goodyear Endurance tires installed, only time and/or mileage will tell how they compare to others. Each tire with aluminum wheel took about 9 ounces of lead to balance. 205-75-14 LRD's. Dated two weeks old.

hdxbonez
03-14-2017, 02:42 AM
Goodyear is all that I'll buy for my vehicles these days. Its good to know they have trailer options now as well. Go USA!

slow
03-14-2017, 02:58 AM
............... Each tire with aluminum wheel took about 9 ounces of lead to balance.........

Sounds like a lot of lead. Are the yellow dots on the tire sidewall lined up with the valve stem as they should be to limit the amount of weight required?

I am looking forward to hearing your reviews after you get a few miles on the tires.

sourdough
03-14-2017, 06:08 AM
9 ounces per tire IS a lot of lead! I'm curious how they are going to perform; please keep us advised.

the sodfather
03-14-2017, 06:57 PM
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but 9 oz. is more than half a pound...(according to Siri...:D) that sounds like ALOT of lead!

gearhead
03-14-2017, 07:00 PM
9 ounces?? I'd return them.

JRTJH
03-14-2017, 07:33 PM
All of the tires on my trailers are balanced. That's 4 trailers, two are tandem axles two are single, so that's 12 tires that are available to "go check"... This afternoon when reading this thread, I decided to "just go take a look"... Every one of my tires has less than 3 ounces (on the inside and outside combined). With that observation, I thought that 9 ounces seems like a lot, maybe even too much weight to balance a tire... So, I went to Google and asked the question. One of the sources that came up was Tire Rack.com. According to that website, a professional tire company website, they say that an acceptable maximum amount of weight should not be more than 1% of the wheel and tire weight.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-driving-fun/how-many-wheel-weights-are-too-many-

So, for "grins" lets assume that the OP's wheel weighs 35 pounds and the tire weighs 35 pounds. That's a total of 70 pounds or 1120 ounces (70x16=1120). One percent of 1120 is 11.2 ounces. So, according to Tire Rack, 9 ounces of weight would be acceptable..... If the OP's tire/wheel assemblies weigh more or less than the example, then the calculations would need to be done with his actual tire/wheel weight. The 70 pounds I used is just a "guesstimate".....

I believe that I'd do two things, first, look on the inside of the wheel AND the outside of the wheel, add up the total amount of weight and second, look at the dots on the tire to make sure the yellow dot is aligned with the valve stem.

Now, one other consideration that Tire Rack doesn't address and that isn't discussed by the OP is whether he has a TPMS system. If he has an external TPMS screwed onto the top of the valve stem, it weighs about 1.5 to 2.5 ounces and if it was on the tire when they balanced it, well that would mean that the actual tire balance only needed 9-1.5 or 7.5 ounces... Maybe even as little as 6.5 ounces. To me, that still seems like a lot of weight, but according to Tire Rack, it's within acceptable limits.....

srvnt
03-14-2017, 10:01 PM
My bad, I didn't have my readers on haha! Just went out to verify. These are 1/4 ounce weights, and I thought they were 3/4. No weights on the outside and no yellow dots anywhere, (maybe DT cleans them off?). This tire had 14 weights equaling 3.5 ounces. The other 3 tires have 12 weights each equaling 3 ounces each. I did the math for you younger guys. :) So I guess I'm good on weights. I do plan on an exterior TPMS.

66joej
03-15-2017, 04:59 AM
That sounds better. Thanks for clearing up. Keep us posted on tire performance.

PARAPTOR
03-15-2017, 06:57 AM
srvnt; Do you honestly think there are younger (<65 years) people on here. :lol::nonono::angel:

srvnt
03-15-2017, 10:50 PM
Nope! Haha!

swanson
03-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Hey, hey I'm only 63.

canesfan
03-16-2017, 11:12 AM
srvnt; Do you honestly think there are younger (<65 years) people on here. :lol::nonono::angel:

Haha, you lose. :eek: You owe me a beer...or let's make it a case. :D

srvnt
03-29-2017, 12:52 PM
So far, these tires are noticeably more stable and a smoother ride.

Tom N OH
03-29-2017, 01:58 PM

45 here, but I am an old soul.

srvnt
04-01-2017, 08:54 AM
America's T just gave me a new tire for free since they didn't save one of the old one's (like stated on the work order). I didn't realize it till the next day and the old tire's were already picked up. It's a china bomb but its gonna be my spare's spare. Thanks AT!

CWtheMan
04-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Just a note: Remember, many trailer wheels are centered by the position of the lug bolts (these wheels are lug-centric) and not the center bore of the wheel. To get the best tire balance for lug-centric wheels, you should have them balanced using a pin plate adapter. This mimics the way a lug-centric wheel is mounted to a hub.

srvnt
04-01-2017, 12:34 PM
AT said they used to use that adapter but don't anymore because of issues with consistency of the procedure. They also said it was a nominal difference. I don't know if other shops follow that procedure either.

busterbrown
04-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Only 1 out of 6 tire shops I called locally had an adapter plate for the balancer. Just picked up my newly lug-centric balanced wheels and tires from them.

srvnt
08-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Update: So over 6,000 miles on the GY Endurance tires and they are awesome. From the 110+ degree Nevada heat, heat in the upper 90's in Utah, Idaho, and Montana, winding roads, rain, back roads, so far so good. Like most people say ,you notice right away the side wall stability and more stable ride.

srvnt
09-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Another Update: 30,000 brutal miles on the GY"s and still NO problems! Now if they could make some decent electric brakes.

Northofu1
09-21-2019, 06:21 PM
Another Update: 30,000 brutal miles on the GY"s and still NO problems! Now if they could make some decent electric brakes.

Or leaf springs