PDA

View Full Version : Awning Clamps?

Tbos
03-13-2017, 05:20 PM
I was reviewing some posts on another forum and the horror stories about awnings unfurling in the wind while driving/towing. Several posters suggested awning clamps. Camco and another company make them. My awning is mounted just below the gutter so there is no place but the roof to mount the clamp. Are they really needed? If I did install them what precautions would I need to take when I mount it to the roof? Do you believe they would be strong enough to keep the wind from causing the awning to billow and unfurl?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chuckster57
03-13-2017, 05:42 PM
If your awning is electric, the motor brake should hold the fabric closed, even in heavy winds. I can't say we have ever had a customer bring a unit in with an electric awning that opened up due to wind.

Ken / Claudia
03-13-2017, 06:15 PM
My opinion on them opening is the owners likely did not put them back closed fully. As I have done in the past. That is the manual style. Easy to not have it seated completely into the bracket when it is 8 to 10 feet above the ground when in a hurry or not knowing how they seat into the bracket.

66joej
03-13-2017, 06:28 PM
^ Agree. You have to make sure the locks are snapped in on those manual awnings.

Tbos
03-14-2017, 08:17 AM
The awnings they mentioned in the posts were both electric and manual. One individual posted pictures. His awning was really messed up. It is a different brand than mine. The way the posters talked it seems like it would almost be better to roll your awning up "upside down ". They said the wind overwhelmed the motors.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

Ken / Claudia
03-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Well I cannot answer any of your questions. But, will say if you think it is or could be a problem. Get the clamps. I cannot recall anyone on here since I joined had that issue. I did a search on awning opening. And found 1 that did and was said to be a broken device allowed it to open. I when back to 05-2013. Prior to 2013 I was a member of another RV brand fourm for about 8 years. I suppose it came up but, do not recall. I can say that 25 years working in the Columbia river gorge on I 84 where OSP or ODOT closes the freeway to oversize vehicles on a regular basis during the winter due to high winds. I never responded of heard any radio call come in about a RV needing help due to a awning coming open. I am sure it has happened but, highly doubt it is a problem that needs addressed with aftermarket clamps.

rhagfo
03-15-2017, 11:52 AM
I would think on a manual awing the ratchet would keep the awing closed even if the arms were not latched.