PDA

View Full Version : New Member, New Rig, Need Tow Vehicle

ToddB
03-12-2017, 03:34 AM
Hi folks,

I am Todd from the Austin, TX area and I am a complete newbie to all phases of RVing, but we are going full-time in June...so I have a lot to learn!

Just purchased a 2017 Keystone Passport 2670BH which will hold me, my wife and three kids (19, 17, 13) for the summer. After the summer, my daughter will be back in college so it will only be four of us for most of the year.

I will post in the appropriate forum about this, but the next key piece of the puzzle for us is to get the house sold ASAP so we can buy the right tow vehicle for this trailer with a GW of 7,000 lbs. Knowing which vehicle is the right mix of travel comfort and dependability/durability, for the right price, is the trick.

Look forward to listening and learning from all of you to get us ready for the road. Peace!

Todd

14george
03-12-2017, 03:45 AM
Welcome to the fourm congrats go with a bigger truck in case you upgrade to a bigger trailer

66joej
03-12-2017, 05:01 AM
Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
If I had the option it would be a 1 ton crewcab diesel.Good luck and enjoy that new lifestyle.

Thundershorts
03-12-2017, 06:05 AM
Welcome from Winnipeg, MB.
From my past experiences, I would have to agree, go as big as you can and get a crew cab 1 ton diesel.
Congratulations on the new rig and enjoy.

PARAPTOR
03-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the fourm congrats go with a bigger truck in case you upgrade to a bigger trailer

X2 there will be trailer upgrades in the future, want to avoid having to do both!

:wlcm: to The Forum Fom Western PA

Congrats on your new rig! Enjoy !!

Be Safe and Happy Camping. :camping:

14george
03-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Hi folks,

I am Todd from the Austin, TX area and I am a complete newbie to all phases of RVing, but we are going full-time in June...so I have a lot to learn!

Just purchased a 2017 Keystone Passport 2670BH which will hold me, my wife and three kids (19, 17, 13) for the summer. After the summer, my daughter will be back in college so it will only be four of us for most of the year.

I will post in the appropriate forum about this, but the next key piece of the puzzle for us is to get the house sold ASAP so we can buy the right tow vehicle for this trailer with a GW of 7,000 lbs. Knowing which vehicle is the right mix of travel comfort and dependability/durability, for the right price, is the trick.

Look forward to listening and learning from all of you to get us ready for the road. Peace!

Todd

Let us know what you decide

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sourdough
03-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Hi Todd,

The trailer you are getting could be pulled by a 3/4 ton, BUT, you said you are going to full time, with 4 - 5 grown people, in a 2670BH and you haven't done this before. So...........

You need to get that 1 ton - probably diesel. IMO you will find by fall that the 2670 is awfully tight for all of you unless you only go in to go to bed.....which won't be the case. In that case you will be looking for something larger in a while and you need to plan on that. When you go larger you will want that one ton and I'm sure the diesel. Do the vehicle now so you don't have to replace everything again a little further down the road.

Another consideration you will run into is the payload on the truck. Many 3/4 ton trucks will be maxed out with the trailer, 5 folks and all the "stuff" you will want to take to enjoy things.

DAN d
03-15-2017, 03:42 AM
welcome enjoy camping:fishing:

cardinal96ss
03-15-2017, 07:36 AM
Welcome to the forum from NE. I will pile on with the other posts and say, just in case you go bigger later on the RV, go bigger now with a one ton diesel, dually, crew cab. I am almost certain you won't regret it. Pls. let us know what you decide and how it works out..

notanlines
03-15-2017, 08:24 AM
Todd, welcome to the forum and to the great world of RV'ing. I am pretty much going to go along with the rest by recommending the one ton diesel. I, regretfully, also am very wary of your choice of trailers to start this phase of your adventure. This trailer will become very, very "close" when cool weather sets in. Keep us posted on your progress..

ctbruce
03-15-2017, 10:54 AM
Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO. :wlcm: