PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting Battery

limit4
03-11-2017, 07:33 AM
When disconnecting battery for long term (3 months) storage to keep the little things that do not turn off with factory disconnect from draining, Do I need to disconnect both leads or just one? Thanks

dwall
03-11-2017, 07:36 AM
I installed a battery disconnect switch on my negative cable. One cable will do. The switch makes this simple. Around $25 and 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

66joej
03-11-2017, 08:06 AM
If you are not installing a battery disconnect switch best bet is to remove the negative cable from the battery.

sourdough
03-11-2017, 08:55 AM
When disconnecting battery for long term (3 months) storage to keep the little things that do not turn off with factory disconnect from draining, Do I need to disconnect both leads or just one? Thanks

Just one. Some disconnect positive and some negative. It really makes no difference. When you have a load disconnected and it is then reapplied the surge takes place whether it is the positive side or the negative side.

canesfan
03-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Except when you're loosening the negative and slip and touch the chassis with the metal wrench it doesn't arc and scare the you know what out of you. :eek: :D

JRTJH
03-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Not to mention that if you're holding the wrench in your left hand and wearing your wedding ring and touch bare metal with the wrench, it can "weld" the ring to the wrench, not to mention what the heat from the ring melting will do to your finger. So, if you do decide to disconnect the positive terminal while the negative terminal is still connected to the battery, remove your jewelry and be careful !!!

sourdough
03-11-2017, 10:06 AM
I was referring to the reasoning behind using the disconnect on positive vs negative and the long term use of said lead for disconnecting/reconnecting. I suppose an accident could happen no matter which side you are wrenching on :) BTW, I always disconnect the negative myself as well :thumbsup:.

limit4
03-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Thanks all, I love this forum.