PDA

View Full Version : Door composition

PARAPTOR
03-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Okay besides the crazy weather, and my issues with getting the cover off this small recessed light in the Raptor, I decided to do something mundane. Yeap simple, Since almost from day one the front screen door handle was not aligned with the catch on the door. Basically had to move the screen door handle to get latched before closeing door. Any way I thought okay simple just drill two new holes and move it up. Existing two holes seemed to be drilled through fiberglass. Well as you can see by the picture as I was drilling thinking fiberglass only, hit metal ?? Only moved up about eighth inches. Did not want to continue drilling since did not know what was behind there. Only up small distance from original holes. Do not want to remove lock to look in there if someone knows what I am drilling into?? May be that is why factory did not move it up??

Its these little things that drive me nuts :banghead:

chuckster57
03-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Doors are just Styrofoam between the two skins. Cheap, yeah I know but that's the way they make all of them.

PARAPTOR
03-10-2017, 12:46 PM
just finally got second picture uploaded (closeup)

what is the metal there the lock??

Thanks

chuckster57
03-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Got me, I bet if you take the lock set out you'll be able to see. I wonder if it's sheet metal to give the lock set some backing.

sourdough
03-10-2017, 05:55 PM
What I'm thinking is that it is an ideal material to tap a new hole in and reset the latch. Beats the heck out of thin tin and styrofoam:D

Steve S
03-10-2017, 06:09 PM
just finally got second picture uploaded (closeup)

what is the metal there the lock??

Thanks

Dunno but keep on drilling and let us know:popcorn::popcorn:

BooHyde
03-10-2017, 06:41 PM
It is not the lock. Most likely a backing material for the latch screws. Too bad they don't all have that.

PARAPTOR
03-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys, the way my luck has been going, how bad can it be if I keep drilling? Copper water pipe :eek: 20 degrees out there so no worry about water :banghead:

Just was trying to avoid taking lock out in the snow

sourdough
03-10-2017, 07:49 PM
There's nothing in the door other than the lock, handles etc. The worst that could happen by looking at the pic is locking whatever it is, if it is in fact anything to worry about, in place. If so, and it becomes and issue, remove the screw. In the mean time your screen works............

ctbruce
03-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Just don't drill through it...

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

PARAPTOR
03-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Just don't drill through it...

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

I assume you mean the door, no worry about this guy drilling :eek: anything soon. Think temp still 20 or below, Way Tooo cold for this old man :rolleyes:

PARAPTOR
04-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Okay, here is an update. Yes just found out this was a Challenger Door and there is a backing plate in the lock area of the door, that is what I was hitting when trying to move that latch up an 1/8 inch. Why I could not drill through it easily was that in some doors that plate is stainless, Yeap verified that my model door has the stainless backing plates :facepalm: so its going to be drill baby drill. I know do not drill through the entire door :banghead:

Since I had the rep on the phone asked about some form of blind for their door window, general answer was yes we are working on a blind inside the glass. Still in Engineering so not much info on comparability with older doors

canesfan
04-21-2017, 11:56 AM
"Inside the glass" would necessitate a dual pane window. And if they made it backwards compatible it would mean changing out your entire window.

Use a "short" drill bit on that door. :D

PARAPTOR
04-21-2017, 03:48 PM
"Inside the glass" would necessitate a dual pane window. And if they made it backwards compatible it would mean changing out your entire window.

Use a "short" drill bit on that door. :D

Since I was calling them just thought I would ask what they were offering as a shade for that door, your probably correct about dual pane, did not ask many questions since it was still in the design phase. One of the salesman thought the cost for the 12X21" was $60, Ya I know a salesman :banghead: We will see what they come out with and cost, not in any hurry been dealing with it now for going on 5 years.

Thanks, no problem with being short :lol: