PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Shower Stall Leak

sauerld
03-05-2017, 07:41 PM
We have a 2013 Alpine 3450RL. When we use the shower water trickles out from underneath the bottom shower door frame in just 1 spot about in the middle of the shower stall. When I step on the lower door frame without the shower running the water pushes out. Stepping up and down on the lower frame I can hear a considerable amount of water slosh around underneath the shower floor. Any ideas? Thanks

chuckster57
03-05-2017, 08:21 PM
I would suspect the shower drain. Is there a service panel in the shower pan front edge?

sauerld
03-05-2017, 08:28 PM
No service panel anywhere on shower. The shower drains fine at the drain. No backups inside the shower.

chuckster57
03-05-2017, 08:35 PM
The "drain" is a threaded piece that is held in by a nut on the back side, pulling the assembly against the shower pan. Normally there is a rubber gasket that seals the drain, it could be failing, or the nut may have come loose. The pipe to the holding tank is threaded onto the drain, and it may be loose or cracked.

sauerld
03-05-2017, 09:06 PM
So I will probably have to expose my drain from underneath the trailer if there is not access panel on top?

chuckster57
03-05-2017, 09:18 PM
Depends on where the shower is located. If it's a fifth wheel, you may gain access through the basement.

JRTJH
03-06-2017, 07:16 AM
My Cougar is built differently than your Alpine, but it has access to the shower drain through the basement. There is a "false wall" at the back of the passthrough storage area. Remove the false wall and there is access to the back of the water heater, plumbing, shower and bath sink plumbing. On mine, there's a 10" hole cut in the floor around the shower drain.

Don't expect to find a typical P trap, trailers use a HEPvo valve which doesn't allow sewer gasses to back up into the shower without holding water like a P trap.

You might also want to check the fittings on your shower hot/cold water valves. They may have a leak that is running down the back side of the shower enclosure onto the floor under the shower floor pan.

rhagfo
03-06-2017, 07:40 AM
OP, are saying when you step on the aluminum frame on top of the fiberglass lip??
This is a case where a picture is worth a thousand words.
If that is the case then likely you need to dry it out and reseal the frame to fiberglass seam.
I would suspect that if the drain were leaking, the water would go straight to the basement.

Mikendebbie
03-06-2017, 08:24 AM
It sound to me like water is getting under the door guide/sill extrusion that sits on top of the shower curb. The extrusion should be (I am guessing) set into a bed of sealant and then both outside and inside edge should be sealed (see my sketch - locations A & B).

Mine was leaking at both ends of the extrusion where is fits into the vertical jamb extrusion. I used silicone to caulk all around the sill to the jamb. Hopefully next time out we will test it and see if I fixed the problem.

Not sure I uploaded the sketch correctly...

sauerld
03-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Thanks to all who have responded thus far. I will let you know what I find,