PDA

View Full Version : Eternabond tape

sandy43
03-05-2017, 07:19 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed or not. My RV is getting close to 5 yrs old. When not in use it's covered. I'm a big believer in preventive maintenance. I've never had a leak, as far as I know. The seems on the rubber roof appear to be ok, but over time things tend to deteriorate. I'm thinking about using Eternabond tape on the front and rear seems and cover up the caulking they use from the factory. What are your thoughts? Has anyone used this tape? What prep's are needed. Any and all suggestions are well appreciated. Thanks
Sandy

66joej
03-05-2017, 07:31 PM
As the name suggests Eternabond is forever. Very hard to remove once applied.
Do a search on this site.

chuckster57
03-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Using eternabond tape will eliminate your ability to do minor repairs if needed. Keep up regular inspections and touch up any voids in the Dicor sealant. Eternabond is more of a REPAIR option not a maintenance option.

ctbruce
03-05-2017, 07:38 PM
What they both said. It sounds like a good idea until something goes wrong and has to be removed. I can't imagine what a disaster that would be.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

BrentB
03-06-2017, 05:36 AM
Sandy, I have used the tape as you suggest. You do need to clean the surfaces well and apply with firm pressure. I have not encountered any problems so far, and it eliminates the need to reseal the inevitable cracks that form in the Dicor sealant.

chuckster57
03-06-2017, 06:15 AM
And if you read the directions, the edges of the eternabond tape need to be sealed with Dicor, so your sort of defeating the purpose IMO.

BrentB
03-06-2017, 06:58 AM
And if you read the directions, the edges of the eternabond tape need to be sealed with Dicor, so your sort of defeating the purpose IMO.

Mine did not say anything about that, and has not proved to be necessary.

sandy43
03-06-2017, 07:01 AM
It appears that most of you are against Eternabond tape for preventive maintenance and only use it for actual repairs. That does make since. So, I think I'll wait awhile and pay close attention to all the seems. I really thought I had a good idea after watching a few video's about this stuff, apparently not. Thanks for your responses.
Sandy

BrentB
03-06-2017, 07:06 AM
From their website: Installing EternaBond® is as easy as putting on a piece of tape! EternaBond® requires no glue, mixing, or caulking.

Dhuhn
03-06-2017, 08:27 AM
If you go to loveyourrv.com the owner of the site did all his seams on his cougar. there are also videos that he posted on it.

JRTJH
03-06-2017, 08:39 AM
From their website: Installing EternaBond® is as easy as putting on a piece of tape! EternaBond® requires no glue, mixing, or caulking.

You might want to read the "simple repairs" on page 9 of the DICOR RV Roof Care Handbook. https://dicorproducts.com/rudys-downloadable-rv-roof-care-handbook/ They made the roofing material (not eternabond tape) and their instructions are to "apply a 5/16" bead of self leveling sealant to the edges".

Whether you do or not, remains your choice, but if you consider the tape as a "patch" (which it is) you not only have to read instructions on how to apply the patch, but you also need to read the "component manual". If it says, for instance, "DO NOT PATCH THIS TIRE", then in reality, no matter what the patch says about "how to apply" doesn't much matter....

Your views may differ, and that's perfectly OK with me.