PDA

View Full Version : On board air comp

03-05-2017, 08:51 AM
Just put some air bags in the rear of the TV. Compressor setups seemed overpriced. Just gonna run dove valves to the back bumper. I want to put an air compressor in the compartment on the front of the fiver. My thought is I can easily air up my bags, fill/too off TV and trailer tires, bikes, balls etc. also thinking it would make blowing out the water that much easier. So all good so far. Now my options are add an inverter and plug in a standard compressor with a tank. Or get one of these 12v compressors w no tank. Will the 12v be adaquate to blow out my water lines. Full trailer tires to 70psi etc.

hankpage
03-05-2017, 09:07 AM
I went the 120v ac with an inverter route. I can remove it and use it where I want to. With a 25' coil hose I can reach tv and 5er tires and city water inlet. 12v dc compressors give enough psi but without a storage tank they are lacking in volume. Having the inverter is another plus. JM2¢, Hank

66joej
03-05-2017, 09:15 AM
If you did want to go with a 12v the Viair seems to be one of the best on the market. But as hankpage says no volume tank.

03-05-2017, 09:30 AM
I think that's the way I'm leaning. I have a 3gal 1hp compressor I usually bring anyway. But it requires shore power. So with the inverter I'm set. Also had toyed with the inverter idea for running the outside kitchen mini fridge on long trips. Makes it easy to have the xtra room to keep stuff cold. Like beers. so next question. Is what size inverter do I need. Compressor is 10.5 amps. And not sure on mini fridge. Also if inverter was in the front compartment, Could I reach the fridge with adequate power? Prob wouldn't try and run more than one thing at a time. I was leaning toward a 1500 watt.

CaptnJohn
03-05-2017, 09:47 AM
You may not like the results of running that refer without the door open for the ventilation it requires.

03-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Pretty sure I fried one like that in my back yard on the previous camper. About 2 weeks between trips in August heat. Figured I'd save some time and not unpack the fridge= buy a new fridge. But I usually close the outside kitchen when we are away from the campsite or overnight. A few hrs going down the road should be ok. But also considered that. Maybe a small vent somewhere. Basically just a few hrs while traveling between sites when on a long trip. We have small kids so I try to keep it to less that 5-6 hrs drive time daily. More concerned with having the inverter up front and running a power lead all the way to the back for the fridge.

chuckster57
03-05-2017, 10:00 AM
When I installed bags on my TV in 2008, I used the Airlift kit that included the on board air. Wouldn't have it any other way. I hit rough road and just reach down, hold a button and add air. get back on smooth road and press another button and release air pressure.

slow
03-05-2017, 11:18 AM
I installed the Air Lift WirelessOne system for my air bags and have no regrets. Watch for sales and rebate promotions to lower the cost.

Here is how I installed mine: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24050&highlight=wirelessone

I carry a Viair 450P for everything else.

rhagfo
03-09-2017, 07:51 AM
If you install a 12 volt on board air system, think of adding a 1 to 3 gallon tank under the bed of the truck.

wmcclay
03-09-2017, 06:31 PM
I installed a 2 cfm 135 psi 12 volt air compressor behind front license plate. Added 8x18 air tank in front of spare tire. Put a air leveling valve and a air dump valve. Keeps my truck at stock height no matter what the load. Dump valve keeps my tv from popping up when load is taken off. Never have to adjust air to bags. less than 400.00 in parts, installed it myself.

Wayne