PDA

View Full Version : To Flip or Not

Canonman
03-02-2017, 02:12 PM
We are thinking seriously about flipping the axels on our Cougar. We found after traveling nearly 3k miles last season that the rear overhang required a lot of careful watching especially when we had the (mostly worthless) cargo rack extended.
Looking for input, pro and con regarding flipping the axels to increase our ground clearance. Tow ability, road stability, issues with the leveling system etc.
Thanks in advance.
Canonman

JRTJH
03-02-2017, 02:39 PM
With the advent of the "flat floor slide" almost all trailers are built with the axles on the underside of the springs, so they are "already flipped".

We have the "XLite sister model" of your trailer, the 27RKS. Ours is a 2014 model, so there might be some difference in your trailer and ours, but our trailer already has the axles below the springs. As such, they have "already been flipped". Yours "ought to be" the same.

If your axles are currently below the springs (and I think they are), then "flipping them" won't improve your clearance, it'll make it less.

In the event that your trailer axles are already below the springs, if you want even more ground clearance, there are spring spacers that you can install to further raise the chassis. Installing the spacer kits will also require installing longer U bolts. If you do this, remember that it will also raise your center of gravity, making your trailer lean more in turns and increase sway on curves and in emergency maneuvers.

hankpage
03-02-2017, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure about the newer ones but the axles on my '07 290rk are flipped from the factory. :confused: and still the rack scrapes occasionally. But nothing serious.

66joej
03-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Further to JRJTH's response I can attest to the fact that flipping the axles does indeed make for a more "squirrelly" towing experience. I bought an 2008 26' Trail Cruiser TT with the axles flipped (previous owner did mostly dry camping on forestry roads in southern Alberta). Towed it home about 4hrs. through our Rocky mountains. White knuckled most of the way. I was an OTR trucker at one time. Needless to say the next weekend I put the axles back to the factory stock locations. Difference was night and day. Your situation may be different. JMO

CaptnJohn
03-02-2017, 06:16 PM
1st I heard anyone actually used the rack except for one that has his out permanently. I may give ours a try ~~ thinking it would be nice to build a box to store the generator and compressor. Those 2 hog a lot of space.

66joej
03-02-2017, 06:39 PM
If you have a TT this is a picture of the Trail Cruiser I used to have. Genset was on the tongue. Picture attach I hope.

Canonman
03-02-2017, 07:08 PM
1st I heard anyone actually used the rack except for one that has his out permanently. I may give ours a try ~~ thinking it would be nice to build a box to store the generator and compressor. Those 2 hog a lot of space.

We were not at all happy trying to carry our bikes on the rack. Total piece of junk in my opinion. I'm going to have a friend who does welding/fabricating take a look at how we can incorporate our bike rack onto the cargo rack. Option two is just remove the offensive piece of $#%t and weld on a frame mounted receiver.
In any case it will drag on even moderately sloped driveways and dips so be careful entering and exiting those with the rack extended.

rhagfo
03-03-2017, 06:34 AM
Further to JRJTH's response I can attest to the fact that flipping the axles does indeed make for a more "squirrelly" towing experience. I bought an 2008 26' Trail Cruiser TT with the axles flipped (previous owner did mostly dry camping on forestry roads in southern Alberta). Towed it home about 4hrs. through our Rocky mountains. White knuckled most of the way. I was an OTR trucker at one time. Needless to say the next weekend I put the axles back to the factory stock locations. Difference was night and day. Your situation may be different. JMO

Well the need to flip is different with a 5er, as one want to tow level. With a TT the draw bar can be the adjustment point.
With a 5er the determining factor is the height of the bed rails, our floor is close to 3' above the ground, but we tow level and zero issues towing.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_226218_0_06369b3ae413eeea9cd51ddbb6ac04ff.jpg

Canonman
03-03-2017, 02:52 PM
We are slightly nose high. I have lowered the Anderson ball in the truck to the lowest position. Is it possible to raise the pin box? I think there is at least one maybe two holes left if that is a correct adjustment.

Dave W
03-04-2017, 05:21 AM
See my response to your question on iRV2:whistling: