PDA

View Full Version : Generator

JDZO6C5
02-27-2017, 12:56 PM
So I'm in the market for a new generator to go along with our new 5th wheel cougar. We previously had a travel trailer that was powered with two paralleled Yamaha 2000's. We sold those with our old trailer. I'm thinking about going with a bigger single generator rather than the two yamaha's. A few reasons being I don't have to carry around two inverters, have to parallel them, and carry double the gas. We had to parallel ours frequently for the AC. When paralleled they are running at full load, which together they get loud. They also consume gas quicker. Which requires me to fill both up at various times. I figured I would get a single larger generator to avoid this even though they're more heavy. I decided on the Yamaha EF3000ISEB. I would like anyones input on this or any personal experience with this model? Also, to anyone that has this model ,I would like to know if the height of it exceeds the height of truck bed rails? I use a truck bed cover and curious if the height of this model would obstruct my cover from closing? My new 5th wheel has an upgraded 15,000 BTU unit which is the reason why I want to go with the model that has the boost capability for start up.Thanks.

gary31
02-27-2017, 01:02 PM
I have the Honda 3000 and they are heavy but I too did not want to fuel generators in the middle of night. The 3000 runs 20 hrs on econo and about 10 hrs full load so I can go to bed and not worry about fuel till the morning.

busterbrown
02-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Another member recently had a "wanted: Honda generator" (http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27635)posting in the forums. There was some discussion there regarding midsize generators. Some people are set on the "Red" and "Blue" variety. They are good generators, no doubt. But dollar per watt, the "Yellow" has earned a reputation of being an outstanding performer without draining the bank. The best part of the 3100 series of Champion generators is that they have an "RV" style 30 amp receptacle built in. And they will power a 15K BTU A/C unit. These are the main two reason I bought it. Some models are duel fuel and give you a LPG option. The one I have has the wireless start option which came in handy at deer camp this past fall, when temps where hovering around freezing.

JDZO6C5
02-27-2017, 01:12 PM
This makes total sense and reinforces my decision on a bigger single generator. Thank you

JDZO6C5
02-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Buster brown, thank you for the reply. I never thought about the champion model.

busterbrown
02-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Buster brown, thank you for the reply. I never thought about the champion model.

No problem. I never knew the following these Champions had until last year when I was in the market for one. I always knew Honda led the way but the pricepoint was up there. Champion has been a contender for years now. And with all the variety in their lineup, I wouldn't doubt you couldn't find something to suit your needs. Plus they start at about 1/3 the cost of the red and blue brands. Just food for thought.

JDZO6C5
02-27-2017, 01:55 PM
No problem. I never knew the following these Champions had until last year when I was in the market for one. I always knew Honda led the way but the pricepoint was up there. Champion has been a contender for years now. And with all the variety in their lineup, I wouldn't doubt you couldn't find something to suit your needs. Plus they start at about 1/3 the cost of the red and blue brands. Just food for thought.

I just checked out their products on the website and wow! Seems like alot more bang for your buck. I like the 3500w inverter that includes remote start, wheels, rv outlet, and can use different fuels. Price is tempting as well.

B-O-B'03
02-27-2017, 02:29 PM
I just checked out their products on the website and wow! Seems like alot more bang for your buck. I like the 3500w inverter that includes remote start, wheels, rv outlet, and can use different fuels. Price is tempting as well.

I am very happy with my Champion 3100 inverter, going into my third season with it.

If you go the Champion route make sure you go with an inverter type and know that on the dual fuel models the propane option does not provide as much power as gasoline.

The non-inverter options are much louder and do not provide clean power, which can harm electronics.

-Brian

JDZO6C5
02-27-2017, 03:30 PM
I am very happy with my Champion 3100 inverter, going into my third season with it.

If you go the Champion route make sure you go with an inverter type and know that on the dual fuel models the propane option does not provide as much power as gasoline.

The non-inverter options are much louder and do not provide clean power, which can harm electronics.

-Brian
The only drawback I see is the run time is substantially less compared to a Honda or yamaha since the gas tank is smaller. 7.5 hours of run time on quarter load compared to 19.5 hours run time on the Yamaha. I really do like the champion 3500 inverter with remote start. Especially the price. $1,100.00 including the remote start. The Yamaha remote start add on is $375.00! I would be $2,600.00 deep with the Yamaha.

JDZO6C5
02-27-2017, 04:11 PM

-Brian

I'm curious, when you're running your champion with the AC on what is the amount of load it runs? Trying to figure out run time on a tank. Is it at half load?

busterbrown
02-27-2017, 05:38 PM
I'm curious, when you're running your champion with the AC on what is the amount of load it runs? Trying to figure out run time on a tank. Is it at half load?

After my break-in period , I had my 3100 watt'er connected to my 30 amp trailer. Tested it against my trailer's 15k BTU a/c. Only other appliances powered was converter and refrigerator. Believe it or not, but the 1.6 gallon tank provided juice for around 5 hours in 90 degree temps during mid afternoon hours. Load was maxed out when the AC cycled on. I had the trailer set at 78 degrees. The compressor never tripped.

3661rl
02-27-2017, 09:27 PM
I have 2 generac iq 2000 quieter than honda. Half the cost also

B-O-B'03
02-28-2017, 10:35 AM
The only drawback I see is the run time is substantially less compared to a Honda or yamaha since the gas tank is smaller. 7.5 hours of run time on quarter load compared to 19.5 hours run time on the Yamaha. I really do like the champion 3500 inverter with remote start. Especially the price. $1,100.00 including the remote start. The Yamaha remote start add on is $375.00! I would be $2,600.00 deep with the Yamaha.

I have never really needed to worry about run time, we typically have camped where there is no need to run the generator over night.

I do know there is not a lot of reserve power when the AC unit is first turned on and I usually flip all the other breakers, in the panel, off until it has been running for a few minutes.

After that I turn on the rest of the breakers, except for the water heater, which I run on gas anyway.

The Champion 3100 will run the inside fridge, outside fridge and converter, while running the AC, you should have even more headroom with the 3500 and the remote start would be very nice. I got mine from Costco, $699.00 shipped to my door, but it is pull start only.

I found a this video from a guy that sells a kit to add an external tank to the 3100:
youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPdMvS7MvlY)

-Brian

busterbrown
02-28-2017, 01:17 PM
I found a this video from a guy that sells a kit to add an external tank to the 3100:
youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPdMvS7MvlY)

I've watched that video a few times as I'd like to add an extended fuel tank to support longer run times for future trips. It seems almost all the parts can be purchased for about 1/3 of the price he is selling his kit for. This is a summer project for me. A three gallon tank would have been a better capacity from the factory to support boondocking and off-grid operations.

Lawdog
02-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Check out Supergen for Champion refurbs, done by factory guys. Our group has purchased several. They're a bargain.

B-O-B'03
02-28-2017, 04:06 PM
I've watched that video a few times as I'd like to add an extended fuel tank to support longer run times for future trips. It seems almost all the parts can be purchased for about 1/3 of the price he is selling his kit for. This is a summer project for me. A three gallon tank would have been a better capacity from the factory to support boondocking and off-grid operations.

Yes, I bet you can find the parts for less than $50, I would just use what he posted as a plan for what I can do on my own.

A quick search turned up the fuel pump for under 10, the PCV valve was a little more problematic, but I think I found one on ebay.

Let me know if you find a source for the parts.

-Brian

busterbrown
02-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Yes, I bet you can find the parts for less than $50, I would just use what he posted as a plan for what I can do on my own.

A quick search turned up the fuel pump for under 10, the PCV valve was a little more problematic, but I think I found one on ebay.

Let me know if you find a source for the parts.

-Brian

I will. When I get the time, I'll put a parts list together so other DYI members can take advantage of this project. I found a breather valve on amazon that looks like it will work too. I'll probably be the ginnie pig.

nellie1289
02-28-2017, 11:36 PM
The champion 3100 is $699 at Costco and runs my unit easily. Lots of power. Very quiet. Also on costcos website and You can also parallel two together. Highly recommend!

I also have a Yamaha 4500 inverter that is the cats meow. Big and heavy but on rollers. Powers my 3500 sq foot house in power outage.

Todd727
03-01-2017, 04:14 AM
You probably can do it for less than he sells the kit. Of course, do it without watching the video too. The guy did a nice job, spent the time to record instructions and is trying to make a living.

The reason everything is made in China is no one wants to pay for anything.

gearhead
03-01-2017, 06:10 AM
I went the opposite direction. From 1 big heavy gen to 2 smaller lighter Hondas. Also got a IPI extended run tank.
http://www.ipiindustries.com/pages/choose-products

ChuckS
03-01-2017, 09:31 AM
We went with twin Honda 2000s and run one for light loads and parallel 2 if running AC or wife runs microwave or hair dryer. Lighter for me, both fit
Nicely in forward compartment. As I get older I should still be able to handle the lighter units. Three seasons of use and no regrets. I'd but Honda again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outback 325BH
03-01-2017, 11:11 AM
We went with twin Honda 2000s and run one for light loads and parallel 2 if running AC or wife runs microwave or hair dryer. Lighter for me, both fit
Nicely in forward compartment. As I get older I should still be able to handle the lighter units. Three seasons of use and no regrets. I'd but Honda again.

I have researched this to death and have decided to do exactly what you did!

My first research was Honda vs others. Given things like true decibels, true watts and reliability, I decided to go with Honda.

Next was to decide which Honda. After bouncing back and forth between the two finalists (EU2000i/Companion and an EU3000iS), I am going with the EU2000 route.

JDZO6C5
03-04-2017, 04:57 PM
So I've been looking at the Honda 3000is. I've read some reviews from various sites stating they weren't able to run a 15,000 btu ac unit.

Outback 325BH
03-04-2017, 06:16 PM
So I've been looking at the Honda 3000is. I've read some reviews from various sites stating they weren't able to run a 15,000 btu ac unit.

Might have a problem STARTING one (I don't know), but they have plenty of watts tun RUN one. A start capacitor should fix that. They cost $10 and are EASY to install.

I'm installing start caps in my a/c's as we speak. I have one EU2000i and plan to get another for parallel use. The start cap installation is in preparation for the 2nd EU2000i.

I struggled over choosing between an EU3000iS or the EU2000i (two). That EU3000iS is an amazing unit. Very quiet! Can't go wrong with it!

MattHelm21
03-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Remember that if you are going the Honda route and start loads are a problem like an A/C, you have to leave ECO mode turned off. The amount of time it takes for the engine to throttle up for the load would not be fast enough and probably be the cause of the generator breaker tripping.

Outback 325BH
03-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Remember that if you are going the Honda route and start loads are a problem like an A/C, you have to leave ECO mode turned off. The amount of time it takes for the engine to throttle up for the load would not be fast enough and probably be the cause of the generator breaker tripping.

That would be the case of any generator. Anytime you are idled down and a big surge comes in, you risk not being able to rev up to handle the load.

The ability to recover has to do with generator size and not brand.

MattHelm21
03-04-2017, 08:54 PM
That would be the case of any generator.

I've found that the Honda ECO mode is a unique case. Like any generator, the Honda(s) operating with ECO mode turned off throttle up and down with load. ECO mode, when turned on, artificially lowers the throttle and RPM's below that which would give the best performance. This is great for saving fuel and when operating smaller loads or loads which don't vary too much. However, ECO mode is the only time I've been able to trip the EU3000IS with rated loads.

Outback 325BH
03-04-2017, 09:11 PM
I've found that the Honda ECO mode is a unique case. Like any generator, the Honda(s) operating with ECO mode turned off throttle up and down with load. ECO mode, when turned on, artificially lowers the throttle and RPM's below that which would give the best performance. This is great for saving fuel and when operating smaller loads or loads which don't vary too much. However, ECO mode is the only time I've been able to trip the EU3000IS with rated loads.

On Inverter generators:

ECO mode ON = lowers rpm to only what is needed (variable rpm is possible with inverter generators)
ECO mode OFF = full rpm

On non-Inverter generators:

ECO mode ON = idle when ZERO load; full rpm with ANY load (non-inverter generators must run at full rpm to output correct frequency)
ECO mode OFF = full rpm

itat
03-05-2017, 05:58 AM
For running the AC on your generator, installing one of these will help reduce the load when the compressor kicks on.

http://www.microair.net/main/products/product.php?id=20

Outback 325BH
03-05-2017, 06:51 AM
For running the AC on your generator, installing one of these will help reduce the load when the compressor kicks on.

http://www.microair.net/main/products/product.php?id=20

So is installing a $10 cap.

canesfan
03-05-2017, 07:18 AM
I had a Honda 3000 years ago, it wouldn't start the AC on the then current trailer. Added a start capacitor but decided to sell the 3000 and get 2 2000s instead. I could pick up and carry both 2000s at the same time and store them in the front compartment. I couldn't even lift the 3000 more than an inch or two and it was not going into the front compartment.

unyalli
03-14-2017, 01:29 PM
The only drawback I see is the run time

Run time is endless if you run it off your RV auto switchover propane system.
I have the 3400i dual fuel (http://www.supergenproducts.com/catalog/p-100111/3400w-dual-fuel-electric-start-inverter-generator-100263) and do this. Also the propane engine auto compensates for altitude and I no longer have to carry all those 5 gallon gas tanks.

kfxgreenie
03-15-2017, 10:00 AM
I had a Honda 3000 years ago.

Holy cccraapppp. You are old. :eek::eek::lol::lol:

xrated
03-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Lol ^^^^^^^

EVMIII
03-15-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm with canesfan, my back likes the two Honda 2K's much better than the much heavier 3K. They also fit handily and securely in the toolbox of my truck. I can do pretty everything I need with them (only one AC at a time). Can't beat the starts on first pull machines.

Outback 325BH
03-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Holy cccraapppp. You are old. :eek::eek::lol::lol:

I've read you post several time as I browse ... and I just now got it!

I kept reading his post as he intended it, but it finally clicked.

unyalli
05-11-2017, 07:58 AM
So is installing a $10 cap.

Ah, respectfully, no Sir.

In the show more section below the video you can get the times for the testing. The spp6 doesn't do squat compared to this baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soP0uZFd0nQ&t=1837s

Here is an independent test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soP0uZFd0nQ&t=1837s

- Jeff

tgpilot
05-11-2017, 09:35 AM
I had bought a new Honda 3000is, it would NOT run my 15k A/C. I had to take it back and upgrade to a 5K Honda which works just fine for the a/c and the entire RV. No problems so far.

rickhz
05-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Does anyone run portable generators on a slide out tray installed in the built in generator compartment?