PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure Sensor Monitoring Issues

GrandBob
02-22-2017, 12:50 PM
I purchased the EDO Tech 10 ft hard wire car charger power cable with the Garmin 20 Dash Camera. I wanted to have the camera come on when I started the car and go off when I shut it off. I did not want to use the Garmin supplied car charger cable.

Instillation was pretty easy and it seemed to work fine.

I was using this cable in a 2013 Ford Expedition.

I started getting a tire pressure sensor fault warning. I checked the tire pressure and all was good. We took the car to the dealer and they replaced the left rear tire sensor.

As we drove away from the dealer the fault again came up. We returned to the dealer a total of 5 times, replaced the left rear sensor 4 times and the control unit once. About $1000 worth of work at the dealer.

After the 5 time heading home and the fault warning came on my wife decided there must be something on line, we could not be the only ones having a problem. A fairly easy search revealed that some after marked electrical items in the car can block the signal from the tire sensor and the control unit. We disconnected this cable and there was no actual problem with the tire pressure sensor system.

This cable is not adequately shielded to prevent interference with the signal in the 2013 Ford Expedition. I can not say how it will work in your vehicle but according to the search other vehicles are also affected.

Larry1013
02-25-2017, 04:52 AM
Ford has known problems with TPMS and some cellphone chargers. My daughter's Toyota RAV4 also sets off the TPMS with some cheap cellphone chargers.

PARAPTOR
02-25-2017, 09:55 AM
Yeap its the regulator chip/circuit causing the interference :facepalm: