PDA

View Full Version : RV Antifreeze , froze.... beware

skidooxman
02-20-2017, 04:21 PM
This was the Walmart -50F RV Antifreeze, the one next to it was Prestone. Temps were -4 in NY in a barn. Walmart one froze. Just want to make campers aware, saving a few bucks might cost you more.

sourdough
02-20-2017, 04:29 PM
Yikes! Good thing is, for me, I don't buy the Walmart Super Tech brand for anything :nonono:. On the other hand, I don't plan on being anywhere with my RV where it gets even close to -4 :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing.

ncrzrbk
02-20-2017, 04:30 PM
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hankpage
02-20-2017, 04:33 PM
I guess we are supposed to read the fine print. I think they claim that it does not freeze "solid" so it does not expand like water. I personally use the antifreeze and then blow it out with air, so liquid is only in traps, toilet and at dump valves. May be over-kill but have not had any problems in more years than I care to remember. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587 Hank

Cbrez
02-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Thanks very much for posting. I categorically avoid Walmart, but DW does like the pricing. RV antifreeze is now off the Walmart shopping list.

PARAPTOR
02-20-2017, 05:21 PM
Found some pink snow cone type ice then looked at antifreeze container -50, what da Hel.., found a few articles on what that -50 meant.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=1144

Much more info out there, no mine was not Kmart, think cameo??

JRTJH
02-20-2017, 05:21 PM
I don't use WalMart RV antifreeze and I'm certainly NOT defending it.

That said, RV antifreeze will "freeze" sometimes even at warmer temperatures than the "bottle advertised temp". It will turn to slush at temps warmer than advertised as well.

The "key" that's not yet been discussed is the protection that RV antifreeze offers. It does not expand when frozen. That's its "protective factor". It will freeze solid, but doesn't cause damage to the pipes, fittings or valves because it doesn't expand. It's the expansion that causes the damage.

Don't think automotive antifreeze properties and confuse them with RV antifreeze properties.

ADDED: So, RV antifreeze rated at -50F will protect pipes, fittings and valves from "expansion damage" down to that temperature. Even if it does "turn solid" at a higher temperature, it doesn't expand and won't cause damage down to the rating temp.

Cbrez
02-20-2017, 05:40 PM
I did not realize the antifreeze doesn't expand when frozen. Definitely gives me more piece of mind. Thanks much.

sourdough
02-20-2017, 06:10 PM
I did not realize the antifreeze doesn't expand when frozen. Definitely gives me more piece of mind. Thanks much.

I've never researched that and didn't know it. Thanks.

hdxbonez
02-20-2017, 06:16 PM
I found that cheap RV antifreeze will freeze solid, and expand enough to pop the tops on its container. I'll only buy brand name from now on. Photo was from last winter, it was about -20* below zero