PDA

View Full Version : Electric pressure cooker

Mandolin
02-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Just bought an Instant Pot, one of the new crop of electric pressure cookers - this is going to be a great tool while camping (anywhere with enough juice to run 9 amp for a bit). I've tried a couple of "pot in pot" recipes, where a meat (or bean) main cooks along with rice/potato and veggies and they come out well in easily under an hour, even for long cook things like stews and pot roasts.

It also makes a killer cheesecake and "lava" cake.

There are a ton of recipes floating around the seas of the internet, along with blogs, Facebook groups, pinterest boards and instagram.

I love my dutch oven, but there times I do not feel like getting the campfire or the charcoal going.

kennyskywalker
02-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Just bought an Instant Pot, one of the new crop of electric pressure cookers - this is going to be a great tool while camping (anywhere with enough juice to run 9 amp for a bit). I've tried a couple of "pot in pot" recipes, where a meat (or bean) main cooks along with rice/potato and veggies and they come out well in easily under an hour, even for long cook things like stews and pot roasts.

It also makes a killer cheesecake and "lava" cake.

There are a ton of recipes floating around the seas of the internet, along with blogs, Facebook groups, pinterest boards and instagram.

I love my dutch oven, but there times I do not feel like getting the campfire or the charcoal going.
Got in pictures

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

RainbowsEnd
02-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Love our Instant Pot also! Works great to use in the camper. Less heat and mess, enjoy!

Mandolin
02-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Got in pictures

The first things I made:

sourdough
02-20-2017, 04:32 PM
The first things I made:

It looks like it does a nice job. I use one all the time in our houses but we don't have a pressure cooker in the RV. Looks like I need another doo dad. Did the ribs come from the cooker like that or did you brown them after they cooked?

Mandolin
02-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Slathered the ribs with sauce and popped them in a hot oven for about 10 minutes. They'd taste the same without that step, they just wouldn't be quite as pretty. Total cooking time for the ribs - 3.2 lbs of baby back - is around 35 minutes (22 minutes actual "under pressure" time, the rest for the cooker to come up to pressure and then venting after) for nearly off-the-bone tender. I don't like them to actually fall off the bone.

notanlines
02-21-2017, 03:29 AM
I understand about Mandolin cooking ribs in a pressure cooker, but Sourdough? I'm sure Oregonians find it acceptable but Texans would run like the dickens from ribs in a pressure cooker. Next we'll be getting recipes for pulled pork in a slow cooker, pouring in Kraft BBQ sauce and calling it BBQ.
I am positively mortified!

JimQ
02-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Pretty sure we'll be getting one of these soon. Everyone I know that has bought one, simply loves it. When I'm camping and using a crock pot or an electric frying pan outside, I usually run an extention cord with a strip surge protector plug directly to the outlet on the campground pedestal so all that electricity doesn't have to go thru the trailers electrical panel. Why? I don't need to blow a fuse or have any worries about overload (especially in the hot weather when the A/C is running).

sourdough
02-21-2017, 02:32 PM
I understand about Mandolin cooking ribs in a pressure cooker, but Sourdough? I'm sure Oregonians find it acceptable but Texans would run like the dickens from ribs in a pressure cooker. Next we'll be getting recipes for pulled pork in a slow cooker, pouring in Kraft BBQ sauce and calling it BBQ.
I am positively mortified!

Whoaaa!!:D I was just curious how the ribs got browned since I haven't been able to do that in a pressure cooker.

If I'm going to do ribs they'll be on the smoker unless I'm cooking country style and I'll sometimes put them on the grill if I'm in a hurry. Speaking of TX bbq and "smoking"/"bbq" in other places; there are virtually no BBQ places out here where we are in FL except one. I've been leery about going but finally broke down about 10 days ago. A red flag was no beef....of any kind. I ordered baby back ribs, chicken and pulled pork to try them out. Bad choice. The smoking/cooking process is very different here, or at least at that place plus the smoke used on the meat must have come from a musty palm tree. Threw it all out.

JRTJH
02-21-2017, 02:47 PM
That's like us and Gumbo or Jambalaya. There's a "Cajun Resturant" up here, even has fried green tomatoes, but..... It AIN'T Cajun, just some sort of "proximity food".... So, I'm guessing BBQ outside of Texas is like Cajun outside of south Louisiana.... It just ain't happenin'......

sourdough
02-21-2017, 03:00 PM
That's like us and Gumbo or Jambalaya. There's a "Cajun Resturant" up here, even has fried green tomatoes, but..... It AIN'T Cajun, just some sort of "proximity food".... So, I'm guessing BBQ outside of Texas is like Cajun outside of south Louisiana.... It just ain't happenin'......

You're right. We've sampled various styles of BBQ/smoked meats across the country. There are different styles, wood used, sauces etc. but they've all been pretty good. I think here if it's not fish related they just shoot from the hip and hope for the best.

I know what you're talking about on Cajun. Our ex-daughter in law and granddaughter live in Alexandria, LA and we go down there, as well as many other places in LA, quite often. We love Cajun food of all variations. In TX, there is a place that advertises that is a genuine LA Cajun kitchen. Went in and ordered gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish and a creole fish dish. It was just sad. The Cajun style crawfish were boiled crawfish with what appeared to be pounds of Cajun seasoning piled all over it. Whoever made the gumbo never heard of roux I don't guess...I think they used brown gravy mix or something. The fish was covered with the Cajun seasoning as well. One of those deals where my wife and I just looked at each other shaking our heads.

notanlines
02-21-2017, 03:34 PM
I knew I could get a rise outta y'all. :D Brenda has worked hard over the years to make a very, very acceptable gumbo, her red beans and rice could compete with Justin Wilson himself, and catfish Atchafalaya would put a smile on all your faces. But all this comes at the expense of us having to suffer through all those Cajun restaurants and eating all those foods, learning everything we can. Shoot fire, I'm absolutely exhausted!

JRTJH
02-21-2017, 04:01 PM
The next time you're in Alexandria, head down Jackson Street Extension, all the way to the end. You'll find Robby G's Seafood. Some of the best gumbo in Louisiana.... Their crawfish is pretty good too, if you like to just "sit and eat till ya bust"......

sourdough
02-21-2017, 04:41 PM
The next time you're in Alexandria, head down Jackson Street Extension, all the way to the end. You'll find Robby G's Seafood. Some of the best gumbo in Louisiana.... Their crawfish is pretty good too, if you like to just "sit and eat till ya bust"......

I'll do that. When we go they usually keep us there. He (the ex-FIL) is a wealthy man and does things in a big way. First time we went down to meet him years ago we had a crawfish boil (we all loved crawfish except DW). When we arrived there was a stainless steel pot almost the size of a oil barrel sitting on the fire (30-40 gal.?). He and a couple of friends were having a few so I asked my son what was going on. He said he had called a friend to bring him some crawfish. In a while a pickup pulled up and pulled out a tow sack (2 guys), one you would use with a 100 lbs of taters or so. I was shocked at the amount of crawfish he was about to cook so I commented that it looked like a lot of crawfish. He said he had invited a couple of friends but that his guideline was no less than 5 lbs of crawfish for every person. I like crawfish but 5 lbs is a lot to gobble down....and I tried. Of course there were leftovers and then they made an incredible etouffee with them - THAT DW loved. Over the years they have made some really good stuff - they're native and the ex-MIL is a true Cajun but I'm going to try Robbie G's next stop.

gearhead
02-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Y'all are killing me. First generation Texan with 4 past gens in Louisiana.
BBQ or boudain? Chicken Fried Steak or courtbillion?
I'm having a identity crisis.
I find myself in "Alec" pretty regularly. I'll look up that place.
If y'all are ever in Lafayette, stop in Cafe Vermillionville. It was my family's "tavern" back in 1820's. Probably oldest building in town, if its the original. Good food, good bar.
cafev.com

sourdough
02-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Y'all are killing me. First generation Texan with 4 past gens in Louisiana.
BBQ or boudain? Chicken Fried Steak or courtbillion?
I'm having a identity crisis.
I find myself in "Alec" pretty regularly. I'll look up that place.
If y'all are ever in Lafayette, stop in Cafe Vermillionville. It was my family's "tavern" back in 1820's. Probably oldest building in town, if its the original. Good food, good bar.
cafev.com

Good thought. Thanks. We are actually looking at modifying your route back to TX and it would take in Lafayette.

gearhead
02-21-2017, 09:24 PM
^^ look around for rv parking first! We've never pulled the 5th there, just buzz over, eat, and back home.
Just looked on Google maps....Oil Center shopping center 1 block north.

gearhead
02-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Another one...Prejeans. On I-49 just north of I-10. Not as good as it was though. I have pulled the 5th in there.
Prejeans.com

sourdough
02-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Thanks! We leave FL March 1 (wife won't stay another day - her 5 year visit with the oncologist to declare her cancer free is in mid March and I can't persuade her to move it....I totally understand). We'll try to hit Lafayette and the places you mentioned....thanks!

gearhead
02-22-2017, 06:00 AM
You're right. We've sampled various styles of BBQ/smoked meats across the country. There are different styles, wood used, sauces etc. but they've all been pretty good. I think here if it's not fish related they just shoot from the hip and hope for the best.

I know what you're talking about on Cajun. Our ex-daughter in law and granddaughter live in Alexandria, LA and we go down there, as well as many other places in LA, quite often. We love Cajun food of all variations. In TX, there is a place that advertises that is a genuine LA Cajun kitchen. Went in and ordered gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish and a creole fish dish. It was just sad. The Cajun style crawfish were boiled crawfish with what appeared to be pounds of Cajun seasoning piled all over it. Whoever made the gumbo never heard of roux I don't guess...I think they used brown gravy mix or something. The fish was covered with the Cajun seasoning as well. One of those deals where my wife and I just looked at each other shaking our heads.
Nothing like taking a bite of etoufee and tasting cream of mushroom soup. I asked the waitress "does this have cream of mushroom soup in it"?
Yes it does.
Al T's Winnie Texas.

cardinal96ss
02-22-2017, 07:48 AM
We use ours as a rice cooker. 1 C rice, 1 1/2 C water, 1 T light oil. 3 min of high pressure time followed by 7 min, then pressure release. Perfect every time.

RainbowsEnd
02-22-2017, 07:53 AM
There's no replacing locally cooked food but when I'm on the road I'll use the instant pot for ease. Does a really good job on all the basics. Last night I did the Instant Pot Apple Bourbon Pork Chops, very good and so easy!

gearhead you and others are making me miss home. I'm from TX but family from Louisiana. All Cajun here so I know all the traditional cooking. Many decades of genealogy fun but then Cajuns relate to each other so easily! You've mentioned many places that are good to stop going through LA and TX. Off I10, but in my stomping ground is Poche Market & Restaurant. Poche boudin is great, they have their own smokehouse.

We go through Winnie on the way to the beach. In Liberty TX, a Whittington friend has done research with us. Can't wait to get back down there, missing all this food!

canesfan
02-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Great. Thanks. Now here's something else I "need". Maybe I'll just get one for the house and confiscate it when I go out. :angel:

notanlines
02-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Okay, let's say for the sake of argument I decided to drop some coin on one of these.....which model? The blue-tooth model for a couple hundred? Or the LUX60 model on sale at Wally World for $79.00?

RainbowsEnd
02-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Okay, let's say for the sake of argument I decided to drop some coin on one of these.....which model? The blue-tooth model for a couple hundred? Or the LUX60 model on sale at Wally World for $79.00?

I was given the blue tooth as a gift and do find it nice but it's not necessary at all. One of the differences is in the yogurt making option which the LUX60 doesn't do. And yes it does amazing yogurt. The Lux has less functions but think it will do most everything you want. There are several newer models and options. If you get the LUX60 and decide you want another then jump on them at the Black Friday Sales which were amazing! People that use these often have several LOL If you learn more about this machine and how to use it you may want a second inner pot. However they're $35 or so in price which is half the price of an entire new one. Which is why people are picking up a second one!

Interesting read on comparisons here (https://www.hippressurecooking.com/which-instant-pot-model-is-right-for-you/).

If you look on Amazon for them you'll see comparison of the units usually toward the bottom of the information section.

Any specific question?

canesfan
02-22-2017, 01:59 PM

I was wondering the exact same things. There is a good Q&A at the bottom of this page
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LUX60-Programmable-Electric/dp/B006E7I7MG/ref=pd_cp_79_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MFEBQH1&pd_rd_r=FSE3FXRFW0ZXZJSJA15P&pd_rd_w=oubqp&pd_rd_wg=GXlyy&refRID=FSE3FXRFW0ZXZJSJA15P&th=1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div
that compares a couple models.

There is also a LUX50 at Amz for $78
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LUX60-Programmable-Electric/dp/B006E7I7MG/ref=pd_cp_79_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MFEBQH1&pd_rd_r=FSE3FXRFW0ZXZJSJA15P&pd_rd_w=oubqp&pd_rd_wg=GXlyy&refRID=FSE3FXRFW0ZXZJSJA15P&th=1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

Not sure how big of one I'd need for camping.

gkainz
02-22-2017, 02:06 PM
I always expect bad things to show up every time I google for "instant pot recipes" ... this being Colorado and all ...

RainbowsEnd
02-22-2017, 03:18 PM
I will also add that you can use it as a slow cooker, so do look at all the options that these machines will do and see which one fits your needs. The 6 qt is fine for the two of us but they have come out with an 8 qt now. For many it is a faster way to cook good meals and wow forget thawing your chicken, it cooks it from frozen! There are an amazing amount of recipes available now. After a day of fun while traveling it's nice to know you can have a nice meal quickly even after you dig something out of the freezer!

Mandolin
02-22-2017, 05:18 PM
There are a lot of brands out there, many of which do the same thing in just slightly different ways. The "yogurt" function on some (not all) of the Instant Pots is not a pressure cooking setting, it is more of a boil setting for making yogurt or ricotta (I have done both and it comes out very well. Also from-scratch chocolate pudding.)

While many of the pressure cookers have a "saute" function - pretty much universally loved - the slow cooker settings are less popular. In part because people don't read the manual and decide that the slow cook settings of low, medium and high are the same thing and they aren't, "low" is really just "keep warm" and doesn't cook well.

The semi-"cute" thing about the Instant Pot is that it has pretty much a cult following and there are a ton of tested recipes out there in the great wild internet.

I have a bluetooth-equipped 6 gt Instant Pot and I wouldn't bother with the bluetooth again, I don't think what you get for the extra money is really worth it. I'd spend the extra money on extra sealing rings so you have one for meats/stews/soups and one for rice (it is an excellent and fast rice cooker) or other "delicate" foods - the silicone ring tends to pick up odors, although I have not noticed that the odors actually show up in the food.

There are actually even 10qt models in other brands now, way too big for us.

It is a great tool to have on the road.

gearhead
02-22-2017, 06:31 PM
There's no replacing locally cooked food but when I'm on the road I'll use the instant pot for ease. Does a really good job on all the basics. Last night I did the Instant Pot Apple Bourbon Pork Chops, very good and so easy!

gearhead you and others are making me miss home. I'm from TX but family from Louisiana. All Cajun here so I know all the traditional cooking. Many decades of genealogy fun but then Cajuns relate to each other so easily! You've mentioned many places that are good to stop going through LA and TX. Off I10, but in my stomping ground is Poche Market & Restaurant. Poche boudin is great, they have their own smokehouse.

We go through Winnie on the way to the beach. In Liberty TX, a Whittington friend has done research with us. Can't wait to get back down there, missing all this food!
Bo and Nell Whittington?

RainbowsEnd
02-22-2017, 06:43 PM
gearhead Yep

gearhead
02-22-2017, 07:29 PM
I figured! Nell is a cousin through my Reeves in Old River. Bo's DNA says he is a Cole cousin. Me and Nell call each other "cuz". I just saw her Tuesday at Liberty County Gen Society meeting. Small world.
Iowa Louisiana or Iowa the sate?

RainbowsEnd
02-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Indeed small world! Iowa the state working but will be back home for good soon! Happy Camping :)