PDA

View Full Version : Window Seal/Rubber Shrinking

davemoore
02-16-2017, 06:57 AM
Hey all, new member to the forum here. I'm currently in the process of upgrading my current TT from a small Shamrock 21RS to a 2007 Laredo 284BHS. We visited the local RV dealership last weekend to look at it and I really like it. The trailer is in great shape. The question I have is though I see on some of windows the exterior rubber/seal has shrunk and does not extend all the way around the window(s). Of course the sales guy tells me it's not a big deal and only cosmetic and is a "bad design"

*Should I be concerned with this or is it really only cosmetic?
*Anyone have any experience with this issue?
*My concern is obviously water and leaking.
*Trailer is a 2007 but is in great shape other than the windows

Thank you so much to everyone in the forum!

66joej
02-16-2017, 07:48 AM
Had a similar problem with the vinyl around the top of the door on our Cougar. I used a hair dryer to soften the material and reinserted it with a putty knife. Also added a THIN line of clear silicone sealer at the edges to keep it in place. May work for you.

davemoore
02-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Had a similar problem with the vinyl around the top of the door on our Cougar. I used a hair dryer to soften the material and reinserted it with a putty knife. Also added a THIN line of clear silicone sealer at the edges to keep it in place. May work for you.

Thanks for the input 66joej. If I end up getting the trailer I'll see if this is something that may work. I'll also try and look at them closer when I actually make the guy. I'm not overly concerned with but wanted input from the pros!

TAZ23
02-16-2017, 11:52 AM
If you haven't bought it yet, why not make the dealer repairing it part of the deal? At least that's what I would do.

Steve S
02-16-2017, 11:59 AM

X 2, I have one window that does this when it's in the sun too long. It's never leaked but it was an easy fix as mentioned above.

chuckster57
02-16-2017, 06:50 PM
RV windows are sealed, and that "bead" is more of a decorative trim than functional. There are a few different profiles, but all of them are easy to obtain and install.

I wouldn't hesitate to tell the dealer to replace as part of the deal.