PDA

View Full Version : Pass thru door latches

JBauern
02-12-2017, 10:06 PM
269RLS Bullet. 2016. My Pass thru doors have two latches. one latch has a key, the other a twist latch
. I would like to swap out the keyed one for a twist locking latch. or maybe pushbutton locking latches. I have seen three latch doors with a center lock, and twist latches on the ends. Any insight will be appreciated
thanks.

chuckster57
02-13-2017, 06:08 AM
If I understand your question, you want to remove the locks? Not a good idea IMO, even if it is a CH751.

JRTJH
02-13-2017, 08:03 AM
The twist latches, in my experience, tend to vibrate open if they are on the top of the door or if they twist toward the bottom (gravity assisted). The latches with a key won't open accidentally (from being twisted open), and will only accidentally open if they aren't adjusted properly or if the door tends to bend under stress.

I'd definitely leave the key locks in place. They are the "first line of defense" against the door swinging open while you're towing.

JBauern
02-13-2017, 01:50 PM
If I understand your question, you want to remove the locks? Not a good idea IMO, even if it is a CH751.

Hi Thanks for the reply. I guess , maybe i did not word my question(s) the way my mind is thinking. :) What i wanted to do was to get rid of any locking device, but rather put the replace the key latch on the end that have with a twist latch, and then put a keyed latch in the center, like i see with longer doors. Or perhaps replace both twist latches, with push button style latches, of which one will be keyed. The reason is i do not wish to keep locking and unlocking the door while sitting in camp, but i would like to be to close the door tightly against the seal while in camp, to prevent cold, rain, etc from coming in. I have to get into my pass thru a few times a day to get dog food, car tools, etc. So, what i am hopping for is to walk out, twist the two lathes, and open the door, or push two buttons, of which one is keyed, open the door. Then when moving the trailer, engage the two twist latches, and then lock the door using the center keyed latch, or engage the locking mechanism on the one push button latch.

JBauern
02-13-2017, 01:51 PM
The twist latches, in my experience, tend to vibrate open if they are on the top of the door or if they twist toward the bottom (gravity assisted). The latches with a key won't open accidentally (from being twisted open), and will only accidentally open if they aren't adjusted properly or if the door tends to bend under stress.

I'd definitely leave the key locks in place. They are the "first line of defense" against the door swinging open while you're towing.
Hi Thanks for the reply. I guess , maybe i did not word my question(s) the way my mind is thinking. :) What i wanted to do was to get rid of any locking device, but rather put the replace the key latch on the end that have with a twist latch, and then put a keyed latch in the center, like i see with longer doors. Or perhaps replace both twist latches, with push button style latches, of which one will be keyed. The reason is i do not wish to keep locking and unlocking the door while sitting in camp, but i would like to be to close the door tightly against the seal while in camp, to prevent cold, rain, etc from coming in. I have to get into my pass thru a few times a day to get dog food, car tools, etc. So, what i am hopping for is to walk out, twist the two lathes, and open the door, or push two buttons, of which one is keyed, open the door. Then when moving the trailer, engage the two twist latches, and then lock the door using the center keyed latch, or engage the locking mechanism on the one push button latch.

BillP
02-13-2017, 03:31 PM
Have you thought about using one of these. You can get em on ebay and change the code so they are all the same. Leave it unlocked and twist closed to keep the door tight then just spin a tumbler to lock. I got one on each door.

JBauern
02-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Have you thought about using one of these. You can get em on ebay and change the code so they are all the same. Leave it unlocked and twist closed to keep the door tight then just spin a tumbler to lock. I got one on each door.
That's cool. Do you have a link, please?

BillP
02-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Search on ebay for "rv combo lock". It comes up with about 50 or so choices. They come in different colors/finishes and different lengths to match your door thickness. Prices range from about $7 to $20 each.

JBauern
02-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Thank you.

gary31
02-20-2017, 05:51 AM

These are what I used as well. I put one on my Pass thru and one on my fuel station of the toyhauler. They work great on the pass thru I used one and then left the original latch. On my fuel station I replaced the turn latch and left the original 751 lock. I know many people have these 751 keys but it added extra security and with the combo lock it stays locked even if you have the 751 key.
The other nice thing is that you can put an extra cabin key in you basement and should you need it you can get access with the combo lock, great for short walks when want to lock the cabin and not take any keys.