PDA

View Full Version : how often to grease

canadianboy
02-11-2017, 08:41 PM
I have a Bullet Premiere travel trailer and wondering how often should I be greasing it? I am not a full timer, usually our longest journey is 450km one way... TIA....

chuckster57
02-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Once a year seems to be the accepted norm. I wouldn't use the zerk fittings, but I would remove the hubs as it allows for routine inspection of the bearings, spindle and brake parts.

Desert185
02-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Once a year is a safe interval, but might also be overkill depending on the amount of mileage during that year. My seals were beginning to bypass early on, so I like an initial check even when new to check seals, amount and quality of lube, bearing adjustment and integrity of the brakes. After that, depending on miles towed, I think every other year is a pretty good schedule. This, of course, is if you do the work yourself, verifying that it was done correctly. If you have faith and personal knowledge in the guy doing the work, then proceed as you feel comfortable. I just haven't had good luck taking my vehicles to a repair facility, even the factory trained dealers. Miss adjusted valves, over serviced oil, leaks induced, paint scuffed and so on...not to mention the expense.

As usual, FWIW, YMMV, etc. applies.

captcolour
04-01-2017, 05:53 AM
As a newbie, other than axles, anything else need to be greased like gears on slide-outs?

Desert185
04-01-2017, 06:06 AM
The top of the landing gear legs have zerks. Check online for recommended greasing procedure.

Get a good grease that doesn't harden or oil out. I use Texas Refinery Corp 880C&C NLGI #2. Available on www.smile.amazon.com. The Smile version donates to the Semper Fi Fund when you purchase. :thumbsup: