PDA

View Full Version : New to Keystone -- questions about Slides

Bryant
05-08-2011, 05:12 PM
We took delivery of a 322QBS in April. Our previous 5th wheel did not have a slide, this one has three. We took it on a trip to California and thourghly enjoyed the extra room. The weather was perfect. However we have a couple trips scheduled where we anticiapte frequent and significant rain.

Some questions have come to mind; first I assume it will be critical to level the unit especially with slides on both sides but what if exact level is not achieved? Second, what if it is raining when it is time to extend or retract, can one extend and or retract when it is raining? Third, say it rained in the night and now it is time to move on what needs to be done prior to retracting?

I have seen slide awnings on a few units but not a majority. Any reason why these are not more wide spread, seems like a good idea and they don't seem to be that expensive.

Festus2
05-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new 322QBS.
Achieving perfection in leveling is a goal but not always attainable or absolutely essential that it is. Your fridge will still function if it is slightly off level and so will your slides retract and extend.
You can move the slides in and out when it is raining - and you probably will do this a number of times unless you are camping in clear, dry weather all the time.
If it has rained during the night and you want to move on, simply retract your slides and make sure no one is standing close enough to get a dousing as the water cascades off the slide roof!
The slide roof should be slanted away from your unit so that any water will run off away from your RV. There is a rubber seal to prevent any water from running back into the RV.
You will notice that the slide roof is wet when the slide comes back into the unit. This is normal.
I would recommend a slide topper/awning - keeps debris off the slide roof and acts as an extra umbrella to help keep water off the slide roof as well. They are, as you pointed out, a good idea and a worthwhile investment.

Bryant
05-09-2011, 05:58 AM
thanks for the quick reply and usefull information. I have always been resonably careful about leveling as it makes the shower drain better and keeps things from rolling off the table. I probably would not have been concerned if the slides were all on one side but this has them on both sides, hence no way to slant away from the unit. Any recommendation on type of slide awning? I figured to have them put on at the dealer.

Festus2
05-09-2011, 06:15 AM
The slide roofs on both sides should, when extended, end up being slightly slanted or tilted so that any rainwater will run away from the RV - not towards it. You should be able to stand back and see that the roof is slanted "downwards" after you have levelled your RV.
Dometic is probably the most popular of the slide toppers and one which we have - no problems with it so far.

Bryant
05-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks again.

DTJ9610
05-10-2011, 08:04 AM
I would say the reason you don't see more slide covers is that they are a bit of an investmet. Once you have them you will love them, however funds can be the detterent.

One other thing to keep in mind is to make sure your slides are free of debris before closing them. There have been a number of suggestions on this site, ranging from a simple snow brush to leaf blowers. Even with the covers it would be wise to make sure the slide roof is clear.

Good luck and enjoy the new camper.