PDA

View Full Version : Maxxair Deluxe Fan Kit Install

busterbrown
01-29-2017, 10:03 PM
I just ordered a MaxxAir 7000 series unit and will attempt to install it when the weather breaks in the spring. Anyone know if the kit comes with roof mounting screws or would using screws from the old vent suffice? Also, what is the ideal width of butyl tape for this application? 3/4 inch? 1 inch? Camping world and Amazon have universal vent installation kit's that include both screws and butyl tape.

chuckster57
01-30-2017, 05:49 AM
Both my MaxAir fans came with screws, no butyl tape. I prefer the 1" for this application. Don't forget to cover the screws and edges with Dicor self leveling, doesn't come in the box.

busterbrown
01-30-2017, 07:14 AM
Both my MaxAir fans came with screws, no butyl tape. I prefer the 1" for this application. Don't forget to cover the screws and edges with Dicor self leveling, doesn't come in the box.

Thanks. Already have 2 tubes of the Dicor S/L. What minimal temp is best to attempt this job as I've read the self leveler needs to warm enough to spread evenly? I've never actually applied Dicor before.

chuckster57
01-30-2017, 07:51 AM
I've used it in 40 degree temps. Doesn't get much colder here for any period of time.

JoeofNSB
02-02-2017, 12:52 PM
I keep my Butyl tape in the freezer prior to use and it seems to be easier to handle and install. The backing paper pulls off much easier and its much less messy.

busterbrown
02-03-2017, 06:06 AM
I keep my Butyl tape in the freezer prior to use and it seems to be easier to handle and install. The backing paper pulls off much easier and its much less messy.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that. I'm anxiously awaiting warmer weather as I have to look at this for the next couple of months:

My wife seems to think another run of "mod" fever has struck. :D

Sherwood
02-05-2017, 08:30 AM
The install was amazingly easy. The hardest part was pulling the old butyl tape off the roof. I found once you got it going, its easier to keep it whole and pull it off slowly in one piece. I think I used the old screws and I used 3/4" butyl tape. And then finish it with Dicor lap sealant over all the screw heads. I will be adding another Maxxfan to my kids bunk house this spring in place of the vent. I really like these fans as they move a ton of air and the ability to leave them open in the rain.

busterbrown
02-05-2017, 08:48 AM
The install was amazingly easy. The hardest part was pulling the old butyl tape off the roof. I found once you got it going, its easier to keep it whole and pull it off slowly in one piece. I think I used the old screws and I used 3/4" butyl tape. And then finish it with Dicor lap sealant over all the screw heads. I will be adding another Maxxfan to my kids bunk house this spring in place of the vent. I really like these fans as they move a ton of air and the ability to leave them open in the rain.

Thanks for the advice. I'm installing this fan in a roof vent located above the kitchen sink. I'm hopeful it will help cool the rig prior to arrival at our camping destinations. I may do the same as you next year, add one to the bunkhouse. I want to see how the first one performs. Also, having the ability to keep the vent open in the rain is priceless. I only have 2 months to stare at the box now before I can install it. Michigan plus winter equals grumpy RV'er.

Sherwood
02-06-2017, 06:50 PM
No problem. I installed my first one in the bathroom to replace the crappy little computer fan they had in there. Massive difference. The new one I am getting does not have intake. Just exhaust. Which is great because I'm going to swap out the one in the bathroom that has both intake and exhaust and put that one in the bunkhouse. I figured out pretty quickly that having the fan blow into the camper that is so close to the blank tank vent is not good.

"I only have 2 months to stare at the box now before I can install it. Michigan plus winter equals grumpy RV'er."

Me too once it comes in tomorrow! LOL!

busterbrown
02-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Weather forecast for this weekend is a balmy 60 degrees for mid-February. Those not from Michigan may not realize that it's a window of opportunity to work on outdoor projects. I'm thinking that I may tackle that MaxxAir fan install. Anyone have advice on how to keep the Dicor sealant flowing smoothly in sub-optimal temps? I've read hair dryers can help.

chuckster57
02-13-2017, 06:37 PM
If it's 60 degrees you'll be fine. At 40 degrees, I just squeeze the trigger harder.

tdawg
02-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Not hijack your thread but is there a max air fan that is controlled by remote my wife can't reach our bath fan to open and turn on in our Alpine.

Sherwood
02-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Not hijack your thread but is there a max air fan that is controlled by remote my wife can't reach our bath fan to open and turn on in our Alpine.
Yes, the following fans from Maxxair have remote controls according to their website. http://www.airxcel.com/maxxair/products/fans
Maxxfan Plus 00-04500k
Maxxfan Deluxe 00-07000k & 00-07500k

busterbrown
02-14-2017, 03:39 PM

As mentioned above, the maxxair deluxe has a wireless remote to control all fuctions. It comes with a docking cradle for the wall too. I'm installing mine on Saturday. :D