PDA

View Full Version : To spray or not to spray

N2TE
01-25-2017, 08:34 AM
At the Tampa RV show last weekend, my wife and I took the plunge and ordered a 2017 Outback 272UFL model from a local dealer and will be trading in our older (it was our first travel trailer) Jayco JayFlight 22 which served us quite well. We're looking forward to now enjoying the benefits of some much needed added living space inside the new TT which the 2 slideouts on this particular model will provide, something that was absent on our previous Jayco model. And we love the 272UFL floor plan and overall layout.

During the initial "sales" process, the dealer did his best, though he was polite and no hard-sell, to convince us that we needed the extended service warranty (which we declined) and a "spray" chemical service whereby they spray some type of sealant chemicals on the outside of the camper to protect the gelcoat and another chemical on the inside to protect the interior upholstery fabric coverings. We opted to not purchase these add-ons as this would have added $3500 to our purchase price.

So my question here is, as we have kept our soon-to-be 'previous' 5-year old Jayco trailer in immaculate condition, both inside and out, is this chemical spray particularly on the outside of the Outback that the dealer tried to sell us REALLY necessary? (There's no way I'm spraying chemicals on the inside!) Can anyone provide any additional information regarding this external spray protection? Based on all of our experiences of 5 years of ownership of our first TT and even many years of previous sailboats that we've owned, at the moment I'm not convinced I need the spray. Any thoughts on the subject? We are scheduled to take delivery next week.

We're looking forward to our new Keystone camper.
Thanks.
Ed, Lakeland, FL

Ken / Claudia
01-25-2017, 09:57 AM
I would pay them only if, I was unable to wax or apply a coat of something to the outside myself. Did you wax your last trailer yearly. If, not maybe it does not matter to you. I do it every spring. Takes some time on a ladder with a buffer and wax. With out looking into the manual I recall they say to put a wax on them yearly. I have a boat and 3 other vehicles in the driveway besides the RV. I use the buffer on all of them at some point yearly. To me it is just maintaining them and not real difficult.

Orlando3
01-26-2017, 02:08 PM
I think a five-year-old TT in Immaculate condition you must be doing something right. I think the spray in that case was unnecessary keep doing what you were doing enjoy your new trailer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

Pull Toy
01-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Most, if not all, of the dealer suggested "Fluff" is just to raise the profit / commision ratio.

Before you buy the "aftermarket add-ons" read the fine print, and talk to people in the know, like here, not the salesman.

Enjoy your new rig, and Good Luck,

sourdough
01-26-2017, 03:38 PM
You didn't need the spray. There's nothing that they could put on the trailer that would last more than 12 mos. $3500 is pretty "out there" for pricing, even if it was to do the outside and inside. The inside would probably be nothing more than a spray on Scotchguard product or such. Sounds like they've taken a page from some car dealers who supposedly put those "magic" solutions inside and out of a new car and tack a grand or so on. I refuse to pay for those products or go to another dealer.

Javi
01-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Rip off

Javi