PDA

View Full Version : Titan XD

jmak
01-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Noticing that a dealership has fully some loaded Titan XD Diesels marked down 17K. Seemed like a very impressive truck getting a lot of 3/4 abilities at a much more reasonable price until I noticed the payload of only 1500lbs. Should I be concerned towing a max weight Cougar 26RBI 30ft TT of 7800lbs(dry weight of 6100lbs) with such a low payload? Heck my F150 has a 1750lb payload.

Tbos
01-17-2017, 09:45 AM
What is your true loaded tongue weight? What is the CGWR of the truck? IMHO a lower payload is not a good thing.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green

itat
01-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Assume 12% of the TT's GVWR for the tongue weight. If you can take the Titan for a test drive and run it across a scale during the test drive you'll have a good idea of how close to GVWR you'd be.

sourdough
01-17-2017, 05:30 PM
Noticing that a dealership has fully some loaded Titan XD Diesels marked down 17K. Seemed like a very impressive truck getting a lot of 3/4 abilities at a much more reasonable price until I noticed the payload of only 1500lbs. Should I be concerned towing a max weight Cougar 26RBI 30ft TT of 7800lbs(dry weight of 6100lbs) with such a low payload? Heck my F150 has a 1750lb payload.

There is a reason they are marked down. They have expended a lot of energy, and money, putting a good engine in a truck that isn't built for it. The Titan XD is a 1/2 ton truck with a 3/4-1 ton truck engine. It's a shame. Nissan and Toyota just don't have a grip on "towing" or the American big truck scene. They do make great mini pickups.

notanlines
01-18-2017, 03:52 AM
OP, why would you go with a Nissan with a mini-diesel at 310 HP and 555 ft/lbs when you could have, just as an example, a GMC 1500 with the 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine at 420 HP and 450 ft/lbs.....? If you just crave to drive Japanese then have at it. But dollar for dollar I'd take the 1/2 ton Big Three with the gas engine. Then when you're actually ready for a diesel buy a big one.

itat
01-18-2017, 04:07 AM
There is a reason they are marked down. They have expended a lot of energy, and money, putting a good engine in a truck that isn't built for it. The Titan XD is a 1/2 ton truck with a 3/4-1 ton truck engine. It's a shame. Nissan and Toyota just don't have a grip on "towing" or the American big truck scene. They do make great mini pickups.

They make great 1/2 tons but for whatever reason they haven't tried to compete in the 3/4 and 1 ton segments. In passenger cars, I'll almost always go Japanese because of their superior quality and great value. Both Toyota and Honda have plants here in Ontario, Canada so I'm comfortable buying their products. But in the pickup market the Big 3 domestics make a very respectable truck - well Ford anyway. :lol: And Japanese pickups aren't as good of a value compared to the domestics as they are in the passenger car segment.

jmak
01-18-2017, 05:46 AM
OP, why would you go with a Nissan with a mini-diesel at 310 HP and 555 ft/lbs when you could have, just as an example, a GMC 1500 with the 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine at 420 HP and 450 ft/lbs.....? If you just crave to drive Japanese then have at it. But dollar for dollar I'd take the 1/2 ton Big Three with the gas engine. Then when you're actually ready for a diesel buy a big one.

I already have a 1/2 ton Ford F150 with the ecoboost which personally is much better than those V8s giving you 90% torque down low below 1800RPM. Sit in 5 gear when pulling with an occasional downshift for 4th when needing to climb. Heck with a simple aftermarket tune you can spool up the torque to over 500ftlbs. So power wise is not my concern.

What attracted me to the Titan XD is you are getting the weight of a 7500lb 3/4 ton truck at a much better price. That extra weight would be a great stability benefit for pulling a 30ft long trailer more comfortably.

Price wise fully loaded with discounts in the low 40s right now instead of 50 something plus for a nicely equipped big 3 diesel is a huge difference.

Reading a few more articles what hurt the payload numbers while everything else about the truck screams 3/4 or 1 ton truck build quality is they went with a soft suspension to give the truck more of a comfy 1/2 ton ride.

I guess they wanted to go after the market of I want a big truck but will never really use it. Just like so many people buy a 4x4 truck, heck put a lift kit on it and then never take it off road or heck even hop a curb with it. :facepalm:

plugf15
01-18-2017, 08:34 PM
Well, I was an early adapter and I really like the Titan. The Cummins is a beast and I've had very few problems. We're going to pull a Keystone Cougar Xlite 28RKS and the numbers look great on paper.

sourdough
01-18-2017, 08:44 PM
I already have a 1/2 ton Ford F150 with the ecoboost which personally is much better than those V8s giving you 90% torque down low below 1800RPM. Sit in 5 gear when pulling with an occasional downshift for 4th when needing to climb. Heck with a simple aftermarket tune you can spool up the torque to over 500ftlbs. So power wise is not my concern.

What attracted me to the Titan XD is you are getting the weight of a 7500lb 3/4 ton truck at a much better price. That extra weight would be a great stability benefit for pulling a 30ft long trailer more comfortably.

Price wise fully loaded with discounts in the low 40s right now instead of 50 something plus for a nicely equipped big 3 diesel is a huge difference.

Reading a few more articles what hurt the payload numbers while everything else about the truck screams 3/4 or 1 ton truck build quality is they went with a soft suspension to give the truck more of a comfy 1/2 ton ride.

I guess they wanted to go after the market of I want a big truck but will never really use it. Just like so many people buy a 4x4 truck, heck put a lift kit on it and then never take it off road or heck even hop a curb with it. :facepalm:

There are some videos of the Titan vs Toyota vs Ford vs etc. for towing/braking. Of ALL the vehicles the Titan had much further braking and the brakes heated up to 2-3 times of the others. You just have to look at all aspects. Japan makes some great cars and SUVs - they just don't have the mix right for anything larger than a mid size truck IMHO.

CWSWine
01-19-2017, 07:34 AM
Here is a easy site to check your numbers and make sure.

http://towingplanner.com/Estimators/TonguePinWeightFromDry/?dt=1515&dw=8180&lw=9680&a=3

Well, I was an early adapter and I really like the Titan. The Cummins is a beast and I've had very few problems. We're going to pull a Keystone Cougar Xlite 28RKS and the numbers look great on paper.

bsmith0404
01-20-2017, 05:46 AM
The Titan has it's place and some people love them, I just have figured out what the place is or why they love them. My personal opinion is that they built a diesel for the people who want a diesel for the sake of having a diesel, not for people who plan to tow heavy (not really any different than the Chevy Colorado). 1,500 lbs of payload is great for grandpa and grandma who are traveling by themselves and weigh in at less than 300 lbs combined. When you take a typical family of 4-5 with teenagers, weighing in at a combined 500-600 lbs, the payload drops to 1,000 or less and you haven't even added a hitch or any gear. That leaves you room for about a 6,000 lbs trailer max with typical hitch weights. Japanese trucks have been described as cars with a bed, basically and El Camino. I know that is a bit of a stretch, they are more capable than that, but the point is that Japanese automakers have chosen to sacrifice payload and heavy duty workability for a more car like drive. That is their market, don't try to make them something they did not intend to be.

As for the lower cost compared to the big 3 diesels, check resale and see where you're money is better spent.

pawpaw
01-20-2017, 11:29 AM
More of a fancy commuter vehicle to me. Maybe pulling a light travel trailer would be it's niche. For not that much more you can get a 3/4 ton diesel powered real truck from one of the other manufacturers.

notanlines
01-20-2017, 03:32 PM
That ol' Brent, he's sharp! Uh, you, too, Paw Paw! :D

itat
01-21-2017, 10:52 AM
The Toyota and Nissan trucks are at thigher end of 1/2 ton payloads and very reliable vehicles, but just priced too high compared to the domestic trucks that are more competent than their passenger cars. So the Japanese trucks don't have the value compared to domestics on the truck segment like they do in the passenger car segment.

kennyskywalker
01-21-2017, 12:51 PM
I purchased the gas version 2016 Titan XD SV model, max payload is just over 2500lbs. max gooseneck tow is 11380. The gas model is a much better value versus diesel and the max tow is only 1,000 more than gas. The gas version has better payload capacity. GVWR for my truck is 8600 and max GCWR is 17700.
I have a 2017 Springdale 5ver 253fwre that weighs 8524 unloaded, GVWR for unit is 10300. I took my 5ver out last week, CAT scales had total GCWR at 15500, my truck unhitched with full tank of gas weighed 6600 which means my 5ver weighed 8900.
The Titan XD was awesome! I highly recommend one versus diesel, they have truck reviews on YouTube that give you good information. I never plan on pulling a 5ver that weighs 12k or 15k so the Titan XD gas model is ideal for my situation.

bsmith0404
01-21-2017, 04:43 PM
I purchased the gas version 2016 Titan XD SV model, max payload is just over 2500lbs. max gooseneck tow is 11380. The gas model is a much better value versus diesel and the max tow is only 1,000 more than gas. The gas version has better payload capacity. GVWR for my truck is 8600 and max GCWR is 17700.
I have a 2017 Springdale 5ver 253fwre that weighs 8524 unloaded, GVWR for unit is 10300. I took my 5ver out last week, CAT scales had total GCWR at 15500, my truck unhitched with full tank of gas weighed 6600 which means my 5ver weighed 8900.
The Titan XD was awesome! I highly recommend one versus diesel, they have truck reviews on YouTube that give you good information. I never plan on pulling a 5ver that weighs 12k or 15k so the Titan XD gas model is ideal for my situation.

Curious where you're getting your max payload numbers? If the GVWR of your truck is 8,600 and your truck weighs 6,600, that's a 2,000 lbs max payload. Also curious what your weights were on the truck axles when you hit the CAT scales. Add your gear, family, and pin weight of your 5er to the truck weight and my guess is that you're over you 8,600 GVWR.

kennyskywalker
01-21-2017, 05:02 PM
This is directly from scale sheet; steer axel 3640, drive axel 4720, trailer axel 7220 and gcwr 15580. This is with truck and trailer together

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kennyskywalker
01-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Drive axel rated up to 4900lbs

kennyskywalker
01-21-2017, 05:06 PM
This was loaded weight including gear, fuel and family

bsmith0404
01-21-2017, 05:15 PM
Your 5er has a very light pin weight. To only add 1760 lbs to the truck with everything added in unusual. I have to admit I was surprised by your numbers, even though keystone list the pin weight at just over 1100 lbs, it's unusual to see them remain that light. Your weights are good, but only 240 lbs to spare, so don't go adding too much. :)

Honestbob
01-30-2017, 08:32 AM

These are the reasons I decided on an XD Diesel- I wanted something that would tow 10,000 pounds and do it well. The XD was packaged with the equipment I desired and came in less than a similarly equipped F-150. It definitely doesn't have the capabilities of a 3/4 ton, but it's a comfortable ride for those whose needs it fits and a lot of truck for the money. So far I have 7,000 miles on mine and it's been problem free.

kennyskywalker
01-30-2017, 09:50 PM
Hi HonestBob,

You made a great choice in the Titan XD, it's the only 5/8 ton truck on the market. If you're not pulling 12k to 15k you still have many options for TT or 5vers and its still a great everyday truck.

Outback 325BH
01-31-2017, 10:06 AM
Hi HonestBob,

You made a great choice in the Titan XD, it's the only 5/8 ton truck on the market. If you're not pulling 12k to 15k you still have many options for TT or 5vers and its still a great everyday truck.

I assume you are inferring a truck between 1/2 and 3/4 when you say "5/8". My question to you is (and I mean this sincerely because I have no first hand knowledge of the Titan/diesel), doesn't the Titan with diesel have a lower payload than a 1/2? How is that better than a 1/2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennyskywalker
01-31-2017, 11:13 AM
You are correct 5/8 is between 1/2 and 3/4, i have gas version SV model the payload for gas is much better than diesel. For some this is hard to imagine the gas has bettet payload than diesel, for the money in my opinion the SV gas model is the best overall value for tow and pay load capacity, the only true advantage of diesel model is it may get a little better mileage per gallon with heavy load and the extra 1k tow capacity. Check out this website, it breaks down payload comparison gas versus diesel XD http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2016-nissan-titan-xd-press-kit#header_02

kennyskywalker
01-31-2017, 11:14 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170131/84ec7e32095a83ec65bf84806b4940a8.jpg

kennyskywalker
01-31-2017, 11:20 AM
Btw im towing my Fifthwheel with an Andersen Fifthwheel hitch, i can back up no problem. Im not at 90°, i have managed about 75° backing up, but the truck is awesome with towing. I stay within tow limits but i think the truck is capable of much more just from power and ride comfortability
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170131/3e40b4999c5c5502e7d86a2b2f2ba038.jpg

kennyskywalker
01-31-2017, 11:24 AM
Im not sure what the payloaf is for a standard 1/2 ton, but the gas version XD has over 2500lbs, this is better than diesel XD model

CWSWine
01-31-2017, 12:14 PM
Here is a break down of what 1/2 tons can tow at max payload and towing capacity of coarse these are base trucks with zero options.

http://fifthwheelst.com/2016-half-ton-truck-towing.html

Honestbob
01-31-2017, 12:34 PM
Correct the diesel XD is not the best choice if max payload is the primary concern especially compared the aluminum trucks or the gas version. Compared to other long bed crew cab I found the XD payload acceptable but I have no intention to pull a 5th wheel. It's a comfortable heavy stable towing platform that for me was a value play compared to an F-250 which left some money available for me to buy my new outback. I like the low-end torque feel of the diesel. Kennyskywalker I can't argue with the gas XD- that's a smart decision and a lot of truck for the money.

kennyskywalker
02-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Here is a break down of what 1/2 tons can tow at max payload and towing capacity of coarse these are base trucks with zero options.

http://fifthwheelst.com/2016-half-ton-truck-towing.html
Last year i shopped the big 3 and a lot of in person homework with sales people, its all about the gear ratio which can be configured on base models but that is not standard. Those are max payload and tow capacities with the highest available gear ratio offered but it is not standard with any base model. All base models tow capacity start around either 8k or 9k, trust me when salesman configured with higher gear ratio the price of truck shot up immediately, it was disappointing because they offer a myriad of configurations (gets confusing quick), the straightforward options on XD were more attractive.

sourdough
02-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Is it just me or is there some reason Nissan does not put out a comprehensive breakdown of towing/payload capabilities for the Titan as the Big 3 do for ALL of their trucks? It's one thing to read a bunch of pressers from brochures that cherry pick stats and quite another to have a complete breakdown of every model/configuration showing axle ratios, engines, bed length, cab configuration and on and on. Nothing that I can find from Nissan??:whistling:

Honestbob
02-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Here you go!

BirchyBoy
02-01-2017, 06:26 PM
I assume you are inferring a truck between 1/2 and 3/4 when you say "5/8". My question to you is (and I mean this sincerely because I have no first hand knowledge of the Titan/diesel), doesn't the Titan with diesel have a lower payload than a 1/2? How is that better than a 1/2?

You are correct 5/8 is between 1/2 and 3/4, i have gas version SV model the payload for gas is much better than diesel. For some this is hard to imagine the gas has bettet payload than diesel, for the money in my opinion the SV gas model is the best overall value for tow and pay load capacity, the only true advantage of diesel model is it may get a little better mileage per gallon with heavy load and the extra 1k tow capacity. Check out this website, it breaks down payload comparison gas versus diesel XD http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2016-nissan-titan-xd-press-kit#header_02

I think that any gas truck will have a higher payload than the identically built diesel truck due to the weight of the diesel engine. The max gvwr of the truck doesn't change, so the lighter gas engine will leave more payload.

sourdough
02-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Here you go!

Thanks for the post. Do you have a link to the capacities of the XD? I enlarged the thumbs as large as I could but they were still small and blurry. Or, maybe it's just old eyes trying to read small numbers....:)

Honestbob
02-02-2017, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the post. Do you have a link to the capacities of the XD? I enlarged the thumbs as large as I could but they were still small and blurry. Or, maybe it's just old eyes trying to read small numbers....:)

I took the images from the online owners manual pages 10-38 through 10-40. (Sorry I had to reduce the image size to get it to upload). You can also select the capacities tab on their website under the individual trucks. With the XD there aren't many configuration choices that affect towing/payload- basically gas vs diesel and single vs crew cab which is why I think they don't have the "decoder sheet" with axel ratios, bed lengths and such that other manufactures publish. When shopping I found that it compared favorably to other crew cab, 6.5 ft bed trucks with readily available axel ratios.

Here's a link to the manual
https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/Titan/2017/2017-Titan-owner-manual.pdf

Outback 325BH
02-03-2017, 12:57 PM
I think that any gas truck will have a higher payload than the identically built diesel truck due to the weight of the diesel engine. The max gvwr of the truck doesn't change, so the lighter gas engine will leave more payload.

For sure.

My point was, why would anyone spend big bucks for the diesel option on a 1/2 ton truck that has iffy payload with the gasser. Seems like you can't really do anything with the diesel. Stump-pulling ability doesn't do you any good if your payload is 5 lbs.

This reply wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

jmak
02-03-2017, 01:22 PM
For sure.

My point was, why would anyone spend big bucks for the diesel option on a 1/2 ton truck that has iffy payload with the gasser. Seems like you can't really do anything with the diesel. Stump-pulling ability doesn't do you any good if your payload is 5 lbs.

That is the drawback of the Titan XD and why I started this thread. Personally for me coming from an Ecoboost F150 going to a gasser V8 is a downgrade to get a good payload. The ecoboost gives me 90% torque down low like a diesel so I am not working the crap out of my transmission with constant downshifting. The diesel would give the down low torque and having the extra weight of the Titan XD weighing in more like a 3/4 ton also a major plus for better towing. However having such low payload was just surprising.

Honestbob
02-03-2017, 02:23 PM
For sure.

For sure the loaded diesel was much more appealing to me when they dropped the price- I probably would not have paid a high premium compared to a 1/2 ton but since it came in cheaper than a similarly equipped f-150 I went for it. I've not been disappointed in the way it tows. You are correct that the gas version is a smart decision.

Honestbob
02-03-2017, 02:44 PM

jmak the diesel crew cab XD should have a payload of around 2,000 pounds not 1,500 and I can tell you from experience it will handle that solidly. I've noticed confusion in the media and even from dealers regarding the XD vs non-XD and their related capacities. They should have used a different nomenclature in my opinion to avoid confusion.

kennyskywalker
02-07-2017, 05:29 PM
For sure.

This is true, I have a Fifthwheel and although its on the lighter side (8424lbs) I run into challenges with pin weight, I must be mindful that that 2500lbs payload only goes so far with my truck weighing just over 6600lbs (fully loaded) and gcwr for truck is 8600lbs.

kennyskywalker
02-07-2017, 05:48 PM
One more thing to consider, the max tow capacity using gooseneck hitch is 11380lbs. I am convinced that it is impossible to achieve the max tow weight because the pin weight would be closer to 20% of max tow weight which is over payload capacity for gas or diesel. The Nissan book shows max pin weight for truck at 1707lbs which is 15% of 11380lbs (gas version), i don't know of any trailer weighing 11380 to have pin weight of 15%, its more like 19-20% or more. The XD has potential, the specs look appealing but payload challenges don't support Nissans max ratings.