PDA

View Full Version : 5ers Larger Than 35'?

Tbos
01-17-2017, 07:30 AM
What issues have owners of rigs longer than 35' run into? We are looking at buying a 5er to go full time in a few years and the ones we really like are about 42' long. Thanks in advance.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green

Javi
01-17-2017, 07:43 AM
Other than not being able to fit in some camping spots and having enough truck... none

m&m
01-17-2017, 07:56 AM
We went from a 36' to a 40' this year. Had to look at very close: the size of the space, tree branches, better planning on fuel stops and spent many hours learning to drive 5th. Different than TT.
More good than bad.
Had to get bigger truck.

canesfan
01-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Going down the road it all looks pretty much the same in the mirrors.

Gas stops may have to be planned to make sure you can get in and out and around the pumps.

Backing up is about the same, may be easier because of the longer wheelbase.

Biggest issue I've found is campgrounds and campsites. There are some older campgrounds I can't get into because of narrow roads and trees in the wrong places along those roads. One state park here I managed to get into, barely, advertises 100' pullthrough sites. Well, ok then. I had to back down the loop to the dump station, there was NO way I was ever getting around the end of the loop with trees on either side. Fortunately I had driven around the loop before with just the truck.

Getting to a campground late Friday night and not being able to find a site you can fit into. I usually plan to avoid situations like that if I can.

Gonna need a new truck.

concours
01-17-2017, 08:25 AM
We upgraded from a 26' travel trailer 4 years ago when we became snowbirds and never regretted it. most of the obstacles that you may encounter have been covered in the previous reply's. The advantage we see and was a big player in our decision the buy a larger trailer is the extra interior storage.
ENJOY

Tbos
01-17-2017, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. A new (to me anyway) DRW 1 ton is planned too. Just trying to figure out what we might be getting ourselves into. We do love the extra space and storage of the bigger rigs.

CaptnJohn
01-17-2017, 10:12 AM
We are only using the 5er 7 - 9 months and have our S&B. Traded 40' for 35' as only the 2 of us and a small dog. Only problem with longer was I stopped even trying to get into public CGs. Since then found I like private better anyway,,,

Pull Toy
01-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Once you've pulled a 5er of 30 feet, I doubt you'll even notice an additional 10 feet +/-, except in older campsites/campgrounds, which seem to be geared to 25 foot tagalongs with no sliders and pop tent. (No disrespect or put down intended... we've all been there!) Fortunately, more and more CG's are listing their limitations.

Over the years I've found that if 35 fits, so will 39 or 40. The only difference is the overhang swinging wide over the truck, and the swinging arc in the rear. My first 5er was a 1978, 48' Spacecraft, 39 feet pin to taillights, plus a 9 foot cab-over with opposing slides which created a 10 by 16 salon (really RARE back then.). It was a triple axle beast, but other than making sure to have a spotter, it was never a problem to park. Only once in my memory, did I have to ask for a different site. They hadn't invented drive thru sites yet, except in truck stops. LOL

bsmith0404
01-19-2017, 05:49 AM
As already mentioned, some campgrounds just don't have a space large enough. We went from a 30' to a 35' to 39' and that is the only issue we have run into when moving up. As for fuel stops, I used to use truck lanes to avoid any problems, but now that I have a 65 gal aux tank, I don't need to fuel during the day. I have a 1,000+ mile range and I just wait to get fuel after we stop for the night and I unhook. That gives me more options and allows me to find the better prices on fuel as well.

rsl
01-19-2017, 02:00 PM
how much extra weight does that tank and fuel add?

Javi
01-19-2017, 02:32 PM
7.1089 pounds per US gallon. 50-100 pounds for tank itself.

Javi

notanlines
01-19-2017, 05:25 PM
We dearly love our auxiliary tank, 46 gallons with the usual paltry 26-28 gallons makes things just fine. And what Javi said. Full of fuel it is slightly less than 400 pounds.

pawpaw
01-19-2017, 07:30 PM
What issues have owners of rigs longer than 35' run into? We are looking at buying a 5er to go full time in a few years and the ones we really like are about 42' long. Thanks in advance.

My biggest problem is the 13'-2" height when it comes to dodging tree limbs and low canopies when fueling up. Luckily I drove a semi tanker truck for 12 yrs so towing is no problem. Just make sure you have a tow vehicle that can handle the hitch weight easily and always better to have a long 8' bed rather then a short 6'-3/4 bed like my son in laws truck. Have the largest fuel tank that you can get is always a plus. I usually tow in the 62 to 65 mph range and leave ample room for emergency manuver's if needed. By all means do your homework before buying because the sales personnel at the dealers will tell you anything to make a sale.

2Savages
01-19-2017, 08:26 PM
I have a 2016 Monty 40 ft and it tows very well down the highway. My biggest fears are 13'6" heights and backing into tree lined camp sites. The turning radius on my truck, creates challenges to get the rear turning and often requires more space than I have to follow through with the truck. You have a long overhang from the 2nd axle of 10 feet to the rear and that has presented some challenges backing and turning. For people who do this regularly, maybe not a big issue, but I have very few weeks at this and will have to start all over when things warm up a bit. The combination truck and Trailer length makes my Diesel stops interesting also, It's pretty much just truck stops now and for the space of turning around. Just a rookies point of view.

bsmith0404
01-20-2017, 05:16 AM

Javi gave you the math, but it's around 500 lbs full of fuel. That's the luxury of a dually with available 4,000+ lbs of payload. However, you do not need 65 gallons and 1,000 miles of range for towing a 5er. I got mine when I was transporting. It allowed me to get fuel in NV, deliver in CA, and not have to buy fuel until I got back to NM, avoiding the higher prices of fuel in CA. If you're looking to just get through a day of driving so you can fuel up after stopping for the night like I do, a 25 gallon tank will do that for most people and only add about 200 lbs.

chuckster57
01-20-2017, 06:01 AM
Don't long beds still come with dual tanks? I like mine, twin 20's and I run out of fuel before the truck does LOL!

Javi
01-20-2017, 06:11 AM
Don't long beds still come with dual tanks? I like mine, twin 20's and I run out of fuel before the truck does LOL!

Mine has a single 37 gallon tank..

bagged123
01-20-2017, 06:24 AM
I have a TT that is 38' overall and since it's a bumper pull, which I see all of the length where as a 5'er a few feet is in the bed and then being hauled. My biggest issue is fueling, trying to find a station that has an easy in/out for me, and now that I have a dually with an 8' bed, I'm expected some new challenges, but, I'll still approach it the same way.

canesfan
01-20-2017, 07:52 AM
Re the fuel situation, I have a 26 gallon tank, get approx 10 MPG towing, and carry a 5 gallon diesel jug in the back of the truck, just in case. So far in all my years I can remember only once "having" to use the 5 gallon jug, and that was because of a detour coupled with a fuel stop where their diesel pumps were out of service. It was when the I-64 bridge at Louisville was closed and traffic was horrendous, I should had stopped earlier but when looking at maps of the traffic for previous days I thought I knew where I could stop. Other than that I have used it out of convenience a few times, but not having to. It's a bit cheaper and lighter than an aux tank. Also, about 5 hours a day driving is usually enough for me.

pawpaw
01-20-2017, 11:16 AM
The new Superduties have a 48 gal tank thats optional. That would be nice!

bsmith0404
01-21-2017, 06:23 AM

I don't think anyone offers dual tanks anymore. The do have larger single tanks, mine is 36. For some that is plenty, personally I love my aux tank and the added fueling options it gives me. Last year when we went to St Louis, I left NM, fueled up 700 miles later in OKC, and then again when I got to St Louis (actually Pacific MO). Reversed it on the way home. Saved on average about 15 cents per gallon or about $50 on fuel for the trip.

Foster
01-21-2017, 10:23 AM
The only problem we had down here in Texas is trying to keep the thing cool inside. We had a 39' Montana Mountaineer and sold it before I went overseas. We are going to try a shorter 35' FW this time.

Tbos
01-22-2017, 12:27 PM
The only problem we had down here in Texas is trying to keep the thing cool inside. We had a 39' Montana Mountaineer and sold it before I went overseas. We are going to try a shorter 35' FW this time.

Did you have 2 ACs? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

schmeg
01-24-2017, 05:35 AM
Advice coming from a rookie. Most has been touched on already.
1. Get a dually. Period. Diesel dually. Long bed. Towing gears. Hitch prep is nice. There are many "plug and play" hitches out there that allow the use of your bed when not towing.

2.PLAN your trip. Plan everything about it carefully. Routing, fuel stops and campgrounds. There are many planning tools on the internet. There are nice apps available that will help with services available at each exit.

3. Purchase an RV type GPS and a Rand McNally truckers atlas and use them side by side. The truckers atlas will give you low overpass information.

Planning is the key. If you know ahead of time when're you are going and how you are getting there, there will be no surprises short of traffic related issues. My wife has many dietary restriction, so she has learned to pack a lot of her own food for the trip in the cab of the truck. You can always use the potty in the camper for emergencies. Truck stops are exclusive in my book. I went from a 35' TT to a 43' toy hauler last year. Its a long rig. But as stated, they all look the same in the mirrors. Right hand turns can pose a challenge.

Tbos
01-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Advice coming from a rookie. Most has been touched on already.

1. Get a dually. Period. Diesel dually. Long bed. Towing gears. Hitch prep is nice. There are many "plug and play" hitches out there that allow the use of your bed when not towing.

2.PLAN your trip. Plan everything about it carefully. Routing, fuel stops and campgrounds. There are many planning tools on the internet. There are nice apps available that will help with services available at each exit.

3. Purchase an RV type GPS and a Rand McNally truckers atlas and use them side by side. The truckers atlas will give you low overpass information.

Planning is the key. If you know ahead of time when're you are going and how you are getting there, there will be no surprises short of traffic related issues. My wife has many dietary restriction, so she has learned to pack a lot of her own food for the trip in the cab of the truck. You can always use the potty in the camper for emergencies. Truck stops are exclusive in my book. I went from a 35' TT to a 43' toy hauler last year. Its a long rig. But as stated, they all look the same in the mirrors. Right hand turns can pose a challenge.

Thanks, all good advice. Which model RV GPS do you own? DRW is definitely part of the plan if go with 5er.

schmeg
01-24-2017, 01:59 PM
I have the Good Sam RVND7735. I like the database in it. I hate the screen. Its not bright enough on sunny days. It does allow you to download restricted clearance data from a 3rd party vendor and upload it into the machine. It also allows you to select vehicle and trailer size parameters. Its an OK unit. I still like Garmin better.

Every time I pull, I am thankful for the stability of the big truck and the exhaust brake that comes with the Cummins.

Barbell
01-29-2017, 07:00 AM
Maybe off topic a little but check out the reviews on Amazon for the Garmin GPS for RVers, especially the 660 model. I haven't found a GPS that works for RVs any better than our 6 year old Nuvi and some are a lot worse. Newer trucks come with GPS built in but at least ours does not have anything specific for RVers.

chris199
02-08-2017, 07:39 PM
We started at 19'TT to 32' TT then ended up with a 41.5' Montana. No regrets but I was intimidated and still am to some extent...a healthy respect for what I'm pulling.