PDA

View Full Version : Alpine inverter on or off

Mboys
01-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Just purchased a new Alpine with inverter that powers the refer only. First unit I have owned with an inverter. Do I need to keep the red on/off switch on or off while on shore Power? Owners manual doesn't explain this.

chuckster57
01-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Try plugging into shore power, turn the red switch off and open the refer. If the light comes on inside your golden.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, we don't sell alpines where I work so I don't know if you have a transfer switch or a pass through converter.

Mboys
01-13-2017, 07:50 PM
I was thinking about doing that but then if we lost shore power whide out fishing or site seeing the inverter wouldn't do us any good. Just wondering if it would hurt anything to keep it on while on shore Power. Thanks for your reply.

chuckster57
01-13-2017, 07:56 PM
If your plugged into shore power, the CONVERTER will be charging the battery(s) so you should be good leaving it on.

PARAPTOR
01-13-2017, 08:37 PM
I do not think Keystone would install any fancy circuit (Transfer switch etc ) just for the frig 110 VAC plug. My guess is your Inverter is just feeding that frig plug and the Inverter is powered off your battery. On shore power the converter would be charging your battery/powering your Inverter. Therefore the Inverter ON/OFF switch would remain ON while on shore power or battery only(Dry Camping).

I heard there are say 20 Amp transfer switches that could be used to automatically switch that frig plug from the Inverter or Shore Power. Do not think the transfer switches are smart enough to automatically turn Inverter ON and Off as required. Think I seen main transfer switches that will start the main generator automatically when switching the main Rig from Shore Power or Generator

JRTJH
01-13-2017, 08:44 PM
According to the owner's manual (page 41) the refrigerator inverter is addressed this way:

"Residential refrigerators have two power sources, the shore line and the battery. All residential refrigerators (except park trailers) come equipped with an inverter that transforms the battery 12V DC to 110V AC power in order to operate the refrigerator. The inverter is wired to a transfer switch (this switch is internal on some models) that transfers power between the shore line and the inverter. The transfer switch defaults to shore power when available."

The owner's manual goes on to say, "When not in use, the inverter should be turned off. All inverters will shut down when battery voltage drops too low. Consult the inverter owner’s manual supplied with your unit for the minimal operational voltage for your inverter."

While I can't verify that your Alpine is built the same as the owner's manual states it is, you might want to verify the operation to be sure it is as the manual indicates it "should be".... If not, I'd contact your dealership to determine what you should do.

chuckster57
01-13-2017, 08:58 PM
And there you have it /\ /\

Mboys
01-14-2017, 06:07 AM
Thanks all for your replies. Really helps.