PDA

View Full Version : RV water softeners?

L0veless
01-09-2017, 07:49 PM
being new to RVing walking around the park I see these large blue water filters.
later I learned these are RV water Softeners Who knew:ermm: so I did an internet search and there are many out there.
anyone using these? what are the problems/issues with these and any help deciding on which one would be great.

thank you

sourdough
01-09-2017, 09:55 PM
Water softeners or water filters?? I see lots of folks using water filters but haven't seen a water "softener" that I know of on an RV in a mobile park.

notanlines
01-10-2017, 02:30 AM
What Sourdough ^^^^^said. No water softeners in our park either, just a number of filters. You can get a 2-pack at Wallyworld for about $20 and they do a fair job of filtering sand and the like, plus taking some of the evil taste out here and there.

chuckster57
01-10-2017, 05:57 AM
The blue ones are filters. If you want a softener then you need something like this:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/portable-rv-water-softener.htm

Still go once
01-10-2017, 01:03 PM
These water softeners do a great job and can be recharged with regular table salt, "On The Go OTG4-Std Soft RV Water Softeners". Culligan stores offer large units for seasonal campers and have charged units ready whenever you need to swap it out.

Richard Noble
01-10-2017, 04:26 PM
I bought one from Camping World. I got it for two reasons -- 1) DW loves it and 2) should help increase the life of the plumbing system. Most important, it makes my hair so soft (I'm bald!). We do like it and it is really easy to recharge.

bobbecky
01-10-2017, 06:54 PM
We've had a Watts RV-Pro 10,000 water softener for several years now. We were developing too much mineral buildup on our faucets and the shower head due to hard water. I only have to recharge it every few months, and we are full timers. The recharge process only takes maybe 1/2 hour, and one container of plain table salt (non-iodized). http://www.watersoftenercritic.com/watts-rv-water-softener-reviews/

L0veless
01-11-2017, 10:54 AM
talking the the owners of a few of these softeners (different mfgs.) they all say its the best thing they had done for their units. bit the bullet and ordered one today will let you guys know how it works and if its worth it.

thanks

sourdough
01-11-2017, 06:57 PM
For those that use the softener a question or two.

I live in a region that has very hard water and we have adjusted to it. We travel a lot but don't like it when we run into areas that have very "soft" water; impossible to get soap off, get it out of your hair, feel slick etc. When you use one of these softeners do you use them everywhere you go? Some places?? I can't imagine using one in a place that already had soft water. How does that work?

aaron_huber
01-11-2017, 08:31 PM
With hard water you actually aren't getting the soap off. :-)

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/qa-chemical-soap.html

bobbecky
01-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Our softener is always hooked up. I don't think we've ever been where the water has been very soft, but at the in-law's, where we have a full hookup site on their property, the water isn't hard and the water still doesn't feel overly soft. Soft water takes a little to get used to, but the feeling that the soap hasn't rinsed off is just that, a feeling, and it really does rinse off and you get used to just rinsing until the visible soap is gone. I think the softener charge lasts longer when in good water areas, but can't prove that. Just the fact that the mineral crud isn't building up in the plumbing is well worth the feeling of slippery wet skin that you think is still soapy.

sourdough
01-11-2017, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I always feel "dirty/sticky" after showering with soft water - I don't guess we feel the intangible benefits of it but I'll keep that in mind.

sourdough
01-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Our softener is always hooked up. I don't think we've ever been where the water has been very soft, but at the in-law's, where we have a full hookup site on their property, the water isn't hard and the water still doesn't feel overly soft. Soft water takes a little to get used to, but the feeling that the soap hasn't rinsed off is just that, a feeling, and it really does rinse off and you get used to just rinsing until the visible soap is gone. I think the softener charge lasts longer when in good water areas, but can't prove that. Just the fact that the mineral crud isn't building up in the plumbing is well worth the feeling of slippery wet skin that you think is still soapy.

Thanks. I'll note your observations. I'm a really picky sleeper, showerer, etc. I like things "my way" I guess. I have always disliked the "slippery" feeling because I thought I wasn't getting the soap off. I think it would take a different mind set to think that you were clean - but I'm open to looking into it. Thanks again for your thoughts. We use water filters everywhere we go and have had no problems with mineral build up on anything. That may change but so far nothing....on the other hand, at our s&b it is a major problem.

L0veless
01-14-2017, 10:34 AM
well I went with the watts 10,000 system. installed last night.
wife showered this morning came out and said WOW what a difference. we have water softener at home so she is used to soft water. when I was installing the unit the owner next door came out to talk, he has the same unit and said he regenerates every 4 months or so, that was one of my concerns maintenance. between her WOW and low maintenance I think this was a very good investment.

Williston324
01-14-2017, 01:05 PM
Every four months - not bad!! Where I am in southern Fl it's every 3-4 weeks and that's not with a clothes washer.

harley1993rider
05-24-2018, 02:04 PM
Can new resin be added to RV softerner? We think we can do this but can’t find 0.2 cubic foot of resin around town. Our conditioner only lasted 2 years and was winterized. Campground has super hard water.

mikz86ta
05-24-2018, 04:02 PM
We currently use the small blue filters by Camco. They are disposable. Full time we go thru 1 every 3 months. The water will start to turn a slight greenish color when it's time to change.....so we found out. Kinda odd.... But we don't drink tap water, we buy bottles and refillable jugs. Overall they work fine but they aren't softeners. When I put a new one on, I run the hose thru the new filter, not attached to RV, for a few seconds. The initial water out is black......because it's a carbon filter and you have to 'prime' it I guess

JRTJH
05-24-2018, 06:07 PM
Can new resin be added to RV softerner? We think we can do this but can’t find 0.2 cubic foot of resin around town. Our conditioner only lasted 2 years and was winterized. Campground has super hard water.

Try Amazon. Just do a product search for "RV Water softener resin". You'll get several options. That said, I'm not sure which water softener you have, so you may or may not be able to access the resin for replacement without damaging the softener internal components. Some you can, some you can't.

Pmedic4
05-24-2018, 06:09 PM

Good article about hard versus soft water. I have heard a lot of people think that soft water leaves soap because of that slick feel, however as the article points out, that slippery feeling is better for no residual soap.

travelin texans
05-24-2018, 08:35 PM
We currently use the small blue filters by Camco. They are disposable. Full time we go thru 1 every 3 months. The water will start to turn a slight greenish color when it's time to change.....so we found out. Kinda odd.... But we don't drink tap water, we buy bottles and refillable jugs. Overall they work fine but they aren't softeners. When I put a new one on, I run the hose thru the new filter, not attached to RV, for a few seconds. The initial water out is black......because it's a carbon filter and you have to 'prime' it I guess

That's ONLY a filter not a softener. I use one on my hose before the softener to keep some of the crap out of the softener.

bobbecky
05-24-2018, 09:32 PM

With our Watts softener, the manual shows all the available replacement parts, and one of the replacement parts is the softener resin media, .33 cubic foot.

Sonnystravels
05-26-2018, 08:17 PM
The blue ones are filters. If you want a softener then you need something like this:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/portable-rv-water-softener.htm
Hi, where do you put it when operating?

chuckster57
05-27-2018, 06:49 AM
Hi, where do you put it when operating?
Ive seen them mounted in the basement of a fiver, They take up a bit of room so you might want to measure before buying.

Gary-n-Liz
05-27-2018, 08:17 AM
We have a Mark 8000 that we adore. Recharging with table salt happens when it needs it depending on the area's water hardness. Have had it since 2016. Manufacturer included hardness test strips which are handy for testing: do I need it here, does the softener need to be recharged? Takes the guesswork out of it.

mikz86ta
05-27-2018, 09:00 PM
I kind of envisioned a
way to mount the filter setup on the side of the frame close to where the city water connection is. Make a removable metal sheild to protect it. Use a short hose from filter to RV connection. And the main water hose from park to filter.

Ive seen them mounted in the basement of a fiver, They take up a bit of room so you might want to measure before buying.

Whitewolf
09-04-2018, 04:01 PM
I just ran across this thread. On a different note, I've been wanting to move away from the commercial holding tank chemicals.

I saw the Geo Method using water softener(preferably Calgon), liquid laundry soap and bleach.

So here's the question. Is using soft water (from having a water softener installed) the same as using powdered water softener?

bobbecky
09-04-2018, 07:21 PM
I use the liquid Calgon, (get it a Walmart) one capfull in the tank, along with TankTechsRV, 1/2 oz after each black tank drain, along with a couple gallons of water. The black tank valve has been working great, and there is NO odor from the tank and basically no dangerous chemicals. I don't think the soft water will do much for the tank treatment.

flybouy
09-06-2018, 04:42 AM
I just ran across this thread. On a different note, I've been wanting to move away from the commercial holding tank chemicals.

I saw the Geo Method using water softener(preferably Calgon), liquid laundry soap and bleach.

So here's the question. Is using soft water (from having a water softener installed) the same as using powdered water softener?

Bleach? Why?

jsmith948
09-06-2018, 05:35 AM
Interesting thread. Our well water here is quite hard. lots of mineral build-up in our faucets. In our travels around the country, it seems that hard water (in varying degrees) is the norm and it is rare that we find 'soft" water at any given CG. We have talked about trying one of the portable RV water softeners, but, since these softeners use salt to treat the water, does that result in the water being salty? The DW is on a sodium free diet (nearly impossible). She has to read labels religiously and uses home made salt free recipes as much as possible. Our concern would be an increase in sodium - even if it can't be tasted. I would rather have to periodically clean/replace a faucet than throw her diet off the rails. Does anyone have experience with water softener use vs low sodium diet? Looking back and remembering when we could eat/drink anything - in any quantity:rolleyes:

JRTJH
09-06-2018, 06:43 AM
Here is just one "good article" that discusses the amount of sodium that remains in and/or is released into "softened" water via a "household water softener"... http://homewater101.com/myth-water-softeners-make-water-salty

Essentially, sodium is used by the softener resin bed as a means to displace magnesium and calcium (the two elements that cause hard water) during softener regeneration. Then, as water flows through the resin bed, the resin "gives up" sodium as it traps magnesium and calcium. That small amount of sodium is released into the water and would be consumed, possibly affecting a "overly strict sodium diet".

Speaking generally, water softeners pose no specific threat to sodium restricted diets, but each individual human "MIGHT" have a problem, even with that extremely low level of increased sodium intake.

My suggestion to your wife would be to discuss her "low sodium diet" with her healthcare provider. There are too many variables between individual patients and their sodium restrictions for anyone to make a recommendation in an RV forum. As a healthcare provider, I always am concerned when my patients start ignoring my advice and start listening to some "unknown person with questionable qualifications" on the internet..... So, I'd urge her to discuss the amount of sodium she can (and should) consume daily with her provider and get his/her input on whether an RV water softener would cause a problem with the sodium intake she must restrict.

travelin texans
09-06-2018, 06:54 AM

Simple answer is YES! Been using a softener for 5+ years, no tank odors, no valves sticking, just add Dawn or some sort of liquid dish or laundry soap with couple gallons of water.
Just FYI, the Geo method DOES NOT have bleach in the mix!

Whitewolf
09-06-2018, 06:28 PM
For those who asked about the bleach, it's in the original recipe. I personally decided NOT to use it as bleach destroys bacteria, which is something we want to help break down 'certain' solids. I've decided to use Calgon, Borax and Simple Green. Haven't quite worked out the ratios yet. So far it's 2 CAPS liquid Calgon, 1 cup of Borax and 1/2 cup Simple Green. In my opinion, Simple Green, Dawn, laundry soap, Pine Sol or whatever is all the same. I've got a fair amount of Simple Green which is why I'm trying it.

Wxman
09-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Interesting thread. Our well water here is quite hard. lots of mineral build-up in our faucets. In our travels around the country, it seems that hard water (in varying degrees) is the norm and it is rare that we find 'soft" water at any given CG. We have talked about trying one of the portable RV water softeners, but, since these softeners use salt to treat the water, does that result in the water being salty? The DW is on a sodium free diet (nearly impossible). She has to read labels religiously and uses home made salt free recipes as much as possible. Our concern would be an increase in sodium - even if it can't be tasted. I would rather have to periodically clean/replace a faucet than throw her diet off the rails. Does anyone have experience with water softener use vs low sodium diet? Looking back and remembering when we could eat/drink anything - in any quantity:rolleyes:
I first would agree with what JRTJH said about speaking with health care provider. Another possible option to discuss is using potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride as the 'salt'.

bobbecky
09-06-2018, 09:49 PM
The article at this link describes the process and talks about sodium in the treated water. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-water-softeners-wo/

jsmith948
09-07-2018, 04:37 AM
Here is just one "good article" that discusses the amount of sodium that remains in and/or is released into "softened" water via a "household water softener"... http://homewater101.com/myth-water-softeners-make-water-salty

Thanks for the link - interesting read. I totally agree as to getting advice from the DW's doctor as apposed to the forum. I just wanted a sampling of opinions/experiences. Having read the info that you and others have posted, I believe we'll just get by without a softener at this point. Thanks for the responses.:)

AbHDToyHauler
09-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Water softeners usually are mounted on the "hot" water side. Your drinking water does not go through the water softener therefore it shouldn't affect your sodium free diet unless you put hot water into your food.

bobbecky
09-07-2018, 10:38 AM
I think if someone had an issue with sodium in their diet, just drink bottled water. Attempting to just soften the hot water side would be a bit challenging with these rigs, and I kept our hookup to the softener simple so it could be accessed for recharging. I can set a five gallon bucket upside down and with four foot connection hoses, I just set the softener on the bucket to do the recharge.

flybouy
09-07-2018, 11:14 AM
Water softeners usually are mounted on the "hot" water side. Your drinking water does not go through the water softener therefore it shouldn't affect your sodium free diet unless you put hot water into your food.

I have never heard of this, either in S&B, campers, restaurant industry, or anywhere else.

Wxman
09-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Our S&B is like that in the kitchen only. Soft water throughout house except for cold at kitchen faucet. That way we have choice for cooking, making drinks, or watering house plants. I will use water from the hot faucet in coffeemaker, etc., but the cold (non softened) for most other consumption. Works for us.

travelin texans
09-07-2018, 01:07 PM
I have never heard of this, either in S&B, campers, restaurant industry, or anywhere else.

Never heard of this either!
Most systems for S&B are advertised as "whole house" softeners, that's hard to do it's only connected to the water heater. I have seen an extra faucet at kitchen sinks that are either instant hot water or filtered drinking water, but not hot softened only!
Mines in a milk crate with a filter before & after the softener connected to the park faucet thru filters/softener then into the rv.
We have a brown shower stall (chocolate milk colored) & the hard water made it a bi##h to keep clean, also my anode rod has lasted almost 2 years with the soft water.