PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

Dcbc82
01-07-2017, 06:56 PM
I have a 2016 Passport Elite 23RB with a deep cycle 12v battery. Is it an advantage to have 2 6v deep cycle batteries over 1 12v? If so any ideas on converting and costs?

66joej
01-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Definitely 2 - 6 volt batteries will certainly more than double your amp hours (battery life) over 1 - 12 volt.

chuckster57
01-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:
How you plan to use the trailer will determine your need for a single 12V or a pair of 6V batteries.

If your going to be plugged into power, then a single 12V battery is fine. If your going to "dry camp" (no hookups) then you want the most amp hours you can get. A pair of 6 volt batteries when hooked up to provide 12V to the trailer, will outlast a single 12V battery by quite a while depending on use and what your powering. Incandescent lighting will chew the batteries up faster than LED lights. The furnace will eat up power in a hurry if it's cold.

Once you decide what your camping style will be, we can better discuss your battery needs.

sourdough
01-07-2017, 07:59 PM
You need to determine you camping style. If you always stay in a campground one 12v is OK. If you like to go "dry" camping I've used one 12v and got by but it ran out quick and I bought a generator. Buying 2 6v batteries is for folks that spend a lot of time dry camping. They are expensive and many times will not fit the battery brackets installed on the trailer. I don't spend a lot of time "dry camping" so I use 2 type 24 deep cycle batteries from Interstate - I've had no problems and don't anticipate them.....you need to know what you are going to do. What I use has provided a very good solution without trying to do a lot of metal modifications.

hankaye
01-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Dcbc82, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum.

I chose to live in mine and stay at small Campgrounds and Parks usually in
a very rural setting. So, I also choose to keep 2 golf cart batteries for those
rare :rolleyes:, moments when the electrical service my be interrupted
either at the Park level or further up the supply side and not knowing how
long it will be until it returns. :banghead: .

I know a guy that converted a cargo trailer and is solar equipped so he
almost never has to "plug-in". He runs it off of 4 6v GC batteries and 4
solar panels right now he's boondocking in Southern Az. In the Summer
he migrates to the Northern parts of Az.

So, it's up to you to as to whether or not you want the extra expense of the 2 6v GC batteries or the single 12v.

hankaye

sourdough
01-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Hankaye: "Maximum fur dispersal unit." Gotta Love it!!:lol:

Desert185
01-08-2017, 08:59 AM
I have a 2016 Passport Elite 23RB with a deep cycle 12v battery. Is it an advantage to have 2 6v deep cycle batteries over 1 12v? If so any ideas on converting and costs?

I boondock, so for me, yes. Two Costco 6v GC batts ($83 each), a NOCO battery box ($50) and a 9" eyelet-type battery cable (from NAPA) to connect the two batts in series (positive to negative).

Add LED bulbs everywhere, get a generator and you're good to go.

I installed them in the 5er forward battery compartment. Your installation may require more planning, but the result is worth the effort if you aren't always connected to power.

xrated
01-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Let's make a comparison here....

Two (2) 6VDC Trojan 105 Deep Cycle batteries hooked up in series to provide you with 12VDC has 225 A.H. at the 20 hour rate

One single 12VDC Trojan 30XHS will provide 130 A.H. at the 20 hour rate.

So, a couple of things to think about...
1. Will two 6V batteries fit into your existing battery tray rack without modifications....or are you comfortable doing mods?
2. You will need a new battery box (plastic with cover) if they are mounted outside of the trailer...on the tongue for example.
3. Two batteries to maintain with water instead of one.
4. Initial cost of two batteries vs. one battery

Right now, in my present situation, I will be doing almost all of my camping/useage where Shore Power is available, and when it's not, the trailer has a built in 5500 Watt Onan onboard. Most likely in a couple of years when we are both retired and travelling, I may be in some places that don't necessarily have power and/or at a place that doesn't allow generator use after their "quiet time"....so a 6V double battery hookup is probably what I will go with. Who knows, I may even venture into the solar thing and add an inverter to the trailer....it will just depend on my needs at the time.

cardinal96ss
01-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Certainly how one camps should greatly influence the choice, but I strongly lean towards 12V. I have always found 6V batteries to be pain to maintain. Seems they always needed water and attention.

chuckster57
01-08-2017, 01:06 PM
another advantage to 12V batteries is if you have a pair and one goes bad, you can still get by with a single battery. lose a 6V and your done until you can find another one. To each their own, but that's one reason our mantra is

"If it doesn't have full hookups we don't go there".

1l243
01-11-2017, 01:38 AM
Not really fair to compare two 6 volts to one 12 volts. Wiring two 12 volt 135ah batteries parallel will double the ah to 270 more than than the two 6 volts which will be 220ah wired in series.

With only one 12 volt battery off the grid you will not make it one night if running the furnace. You need two minimum....

Your trailer is new enough to add one more 12 volt the same (make if you can find it) size and ah as the original. Wire them parallel. cost will be way less than buying two 6 volts.

xrated
01-11-2017, 03:15 AM
Not really fair to compare two 6 volts to one 12 volts. Wiring two 12 volt 135ah batteries parallel will double the ah to 270 more than than the two 6 volts which will be 220ah wired in series.

With only one 12 volt battery off the grid you will not make it one night if running the furnace. You need two minimum....

Your trailer is new enough to add one more 12 volt the same (make if you can find it) size and ah as the original. Wire them parallel. cost will be way less than buying two 6 volts.

Not disagreeing with what you posted, but one other fact that needs mentioning in this discussion. When you get two12 volt batteries the size that will exceed the same A/H rating of two 6 volt batteries, the 12 volt batteries will many times be larger than 6 volt battery systems. That is something that each person has to decide, based on the amount of battery storage room they have, whether or not they are willing to modify/relocate the battery Box, ect. And just to clarify....I'm talking physical size of the battery.....height, length, width.

RosewoodTT
02-11-2018, 06:37 AM
Hi - How is the NOCO battery box working? Does it have top vent holes which allow water to enter? I'm considering buying one for two 6v batteries and have that concern.