PDA

View Full Version : Free Canada park pass

dhn
01-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Found this free park pass for Parks Canada 2017 Discovery Pass. Some of our neighbors to the north might find it helpful, or someone planning a trip that way.

http://www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?expDataType=MarketingContent&mpe_id=20009&catalogId=53407&categoryId=216870&productId=524527&expDataUniqueID=46709&evtype=CpgnClick&intv_id=0&langId=-1&storeId=22953&ddkey=http%3AClickInfo

66joej
01-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I believe the free admissiom is for Canadians only. Like most things the gov't does it's a bit vague.

smokeater
01-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Actually, it is open to anyone, worldwide...

66joej
01-05-2017, 09:09 AM
I stand corrected. The pass is free and is available to anyone not just Canadian citizens. Check on the post from dhn and click on the link. Just as a sidenote I actually worked for Parks Canada for 12 years so that's how mixed up we are lol.

theeyres
01-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Normally C$136 so that is a great bargain. Too bad we aren't heading that way this year.

Steve S
01-05-2017, 03:52 PM
I ordered one this morning and it's very well worth it.

66joej
01-05-2017, 05:54 PM
According to today's news you can get your pass at the park gate.

GMcKenzie
01-29-2017, 07:02 AM
Just know the campgrounds book up real fast and may be booked solid by now.

Steve S
01-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Just know the campgrounds book up real fast and may be booked solid by now.

You're absolutely right, they do book up really fast and most but not all here in BC are full yet.
The last 3 to 4 yrs we've had scalpers buying up 3 to 500 sites all at once and then selling them on Craigslist for 3 x the value.
Our wonderful politicians here said that they've fixed this for this yr but looking at the bookings I think that they screwed up as usual.:eek: Maybe if a few of them actually camped yr round they would actually know how to fix the problems.
I tend to camp at private campgrounds as they always seem to be more quite and less kids and noise.

66joej
01-29-2017, 04:01 PM
Agree with SteveS. Having worked for Parks Canada I have seen how poorly they manage the campgrounds for the casual user. Tour companies book large blocks for overseas clients whether they are used or not.

GMcKenzie
01-30-2017, 05:53 AM
You're absolutely right, they do book up really fast and most but not all here in BC are full yet.
The last 3 to 4 yrs we've had scalpers buying up 3 to 500 sites all at once and then selling them on Craigslist for 3 x the value.
Our wonderful politicians here said that they've fixed this for this yr but looking at the bookings I think that they screwed up as usual.:eek: Maybe if a few of them actually camped yr round they would actually know how to fix the problems.
I tend to camp at private campgrounds as they always seem to be more quite and less kids and noise.

Your talking about the provincial parks. The Federal sites have always gone on sale in Jan and get booked up by mid-Jan. This is the first year for the provincial sites to be booked this early.

The pass is only for the Federal parks.

But we need more of both.

Cbrez
01-30-2017, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the tip. We are traveling through BC, AB and YT this spring, so the free discovery pass is an excellent opportunity for us. We were warned on this forum last year about reserving campgrounds early, so I have been monitoring the Parks Canada web site and reserving first day that reservations open. We've had good luck so far. Radium Hot Springs and Liard Hot Springs are remaining, but reservations don't open until March.

Steve S
01-30-2017, 09:42 PM
Your talking about the provincial parks. The Federal sites have always gone on sale in Jan and get booked up by mid-Jan. This is the first year for the provincial sites to be booked this early.

The pass is only for the Federal parks.

But we need more of both.

You're joking right? In the past few years you couldn't even find a spot because of the scalpers reserving every site. Did you not see the news as it was a pretty big deal and the lineups were 6 hr waits just to be turned down at Golden Ears.
Federal sites are always easy to get into, provincial in BC it hasn't been easy for the last few years.
People have been paying upwards of $400.00 just for a night!

GMcKenzie
01-31-2017, 06:04 AM
You're joking right? In the past few years you couldn't even find a spot because of the scalpers reserving every site. Did you not see the news as it was a pretty big deal and the lineups were 6 hr waits just to be turned down at Golden Ears.
Federal sites are always easy to get into, provincial in BC it hasn't been easy for the last few years.

??

I'm not arguing with you about the provincial sites, just that the "Free Canada Park Pass" is for the National sites. So this year, the National Parks are going to fill up quicker than normal because of the free sites.

66joej
01-31-2017, 07:11 AM
??

I'm not arguing with you about the provincial sites, just that the "Free Canada Park Pass" is for the National sites. So this year, the National Parks are going to fill up quicker than normal because of the free sites.

Just to be clear the entrance to the National Parks is free not the campsites.

spokedintheeye
01-31-2017, 08:32 AM
Geez, I like staying at Golden Ears now and then, but a 6 hour wait...that stinks. Your right bookings have been crazy. We were always on three electronic devices trying to book Rathtrevor on the island. It's crazy. We've decided to start exploring further north where it might be less busy. Cross our fingers we can get a reservation here in B.C. for somewhere we want to go.

Sent by me

JRTJH
01-31-2017, 09:50 AM
It sounds like the "national park system" in Canada is facing many of the same kinds of "overuse problems" that much of the US park systems are facing. As the economy improves and more and more families buy into the RV lifestyle, the demand for camping sites will increase. It sounds like some "big business ventures" have found a way to monopolize the available sites to enhance their profits at the expense of "the little guy".

Whether it's fair or not remains to be argued, hopefully not on this forum, but in the government agencies that can work to protect the taxpayer's interests. It's a problem, it seems, north of the border just as it is in the US. Keep in mind that many of us "go camping" to get away from crowds and all that brings to the table, so making campgrounds larger and offering more sites may well be counterproductive to our needs. It's not a simple problem and it doesn't have a simple answer, but unless the appropriate people start looking forward for solutions, it will only get worse as more people demand space to escape by using RV's to get away......

As this forum grows with new members, the RV population grows, the demand for camping space grows and the availability dwindles. A "catch 22" ??? Maybe, maybe not. It probably would help all of us if more people contact their government representatives and let them know about the problems we face trying to use the resources that are "reserved and protected for the people"......

GMcKenzie
01-31-2017, 10:27 AM
The issue here in BC that Steve is referring to, is that sites were being bought in blocks and resold. So a $30 site can be resold for hundreds. The BC Govt is trying to clamp down on this, but I'm not sure what they are doing will be effective. We need more campgrounds, not fitting more spots in the same number of campgrounds. But there is little drive to open more up.

CarKath
01-31-2017, 08:33 PM
It is a great program they are offering this year for free entry into Parks Canada (federal).

Unfortunately , many people have it confused and assume it is also free camping. Many people I have spoke with also confuse it as free access and camping in Provincial parks.

Lots of confusion out there.

To be clear on this , this is what Parks Canada is offering this year >>

For all of 2017 this pass gives you unlimited opportunities to enjoy National Parks, National Marine Conservation Areas and National Historic Sites across the country!
Please note:
You only need to order one pass for your group or family if you are all travelling together. A 2017 Discovery Pass is valid for everyone arriving in the same vehicle at a national park, or arriving together at a marine conservation area or historic site.
The Discovery Pass is only accepted at national historic sites which are operated by Parks Canada.
Activities such as tours or parking that normally carry a separate fee may not be covered by the Discovery Pass.
Camping fees are not included with the Discovery Pass

For my USA friends that may not know the difference.

state park = provincial
federal park = parks canada

Come camp in Canada whether it be Federal Park or Provincial Park , you will enjoy your experience.

The problem BC has with camp sites is not a problem in Manitoba . We do have a different booking system. That crap you guys deal would never fly here. I hope you guys that figured out.

Stircrazy
02-01-2017, 06:17 AM
this is one of the stupidest programs our government has done yet, it's hard enough to get a site in Jasper or Banff national parks normally now I have been seeing reports that they are booked solid already.

Steve

GMcKenzie
02-02-2017, 06:08 AM
this is one of the stupidest programs our government has done yet, it's hard enough to get a site in Jasper or Banff national parks normally now I have been seeing reports that they are booked solid already.

Steve

Was no different last year. I booked my sites mid-Jan and had to pick and choose because of availability.

Stircrazy
02-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Was no different last year. I booked my sites mid-Jan and had to pick and choose because of availability.

I had no issue last year as long as I didn't want a long weekend. this year its done before it started pretty much.