PDA

View Full Version : cargo rack on back of camper

GINGERH
01-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Hello. I am new to this forum. We have a 2016 Keystone Passport 238. I would like to add a cargo rack to the back of our camper for carrying a bike or misc. gear. However, my camper doesn't have a bumper. At least not the traditional kind. Has anyone taken theirs to a welding shop and had a receiver welded to the frame of the trailer? Thanks for any info.

Tbos
01-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. I used to own a 238. I have heard of others going to a welder and having things welded. I don't know why you couldn't if everything was done well and sufficiently supported. Keep in mind you will need to make sure you balance your trailer to keep the tongue heavier. Have fun. Do some searching on the forum and you may find some other post.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green

66joej
01-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
ditto on the balance. Too much weight on the tail can be dangerous.

CaptnJohn
01-04-2017, 05:23 PM
It will violate the frame warranty so hold until warranty expires if you decide to go forward. My Cougar came with a rack from the factory, weight limit 200#.

GINGERH
01-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I will do more research before going forward. I thought it would be a better place to carry gas cans for our portable generator rather than the truck with the camper top on it.

CaptnJohn
01-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I will do more research before going forward. I thought it would be a better place to carry gas cans for our portable generator rather than the truck with the camper top on it.

I thought it may scrape on entering drives or hitting speed bumps being so much overhang so never used it. Having heard from others my project while storing this summer I think it a great place for a lockable metal container for a 2k generator.
Not sure but believe these do not come on the Cougar Lite models due to frame size. Next time you see a standard Cougar take a peek at the rear pull out shelf.

gearhead
01-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Yeah, you go messing with the frame they can deny a frame related warranty claim. I think you can contest the denial and they have to prove what you did caused the issue but who wants to go through that.
I asked my dealer for a reference for a welding/fab shop. I had them remove the sheet metal bumper and weld on a .250" thick bumper with a receiver welded in the center.
I wouldn't let just any Bubba with a welding machine do this project.
I would be good with putting a generator on it and maybe a couple bikes.
I posted pics on here a couple years ago.
I believe Curt makes receivers with adjustable supports that are either welded or bolted to the frame.