PDA

View Full Version : Silicone in Shower Bottom?

TickTock
12-31-2016, 07:21 AM
First official weekend out camping and noticed that in the bottom of the shower area where the walls meet the floor there is no silicone. I am not sure if how this system is designed if it was intentionally left off or if it was overlooked. Anyone have something similar to let me know what is appropriate?

My TT is an elite 27RB

Thanks in advance

ctbruce
12-31-2016, 07:26 AM
They are designed that way to allow movement with frame flex. There is a tall overlap underneath to prevent water leakage. It seems odd and begs to be caulked from a sticks and bricks perspective. However this normal. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

TickTock
12-31-2016, 07:38 AM
They are designed that way to allow movement with frame flex. There is a tall overlap underneath to prevent water leakage. It seems odd and begs to be caulked from a sticks and bricks perspective. However this normal. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Thanks! One less thing to worry about. Now if I can just get the domestic single stage thermostat to register the right temperature... this one looks like a warranty issue as it is over 6 degrees off.

ctbruce
12-31-2016, 07:41 AM
Thanks! One less thing to worry about. Now if I can just get the domestic single stage thermostat to register the right temperature... this one looks like a warranty issue as it is over 6 degrees off.
Not positive but I think this was addressed in another thread. You might try doing a search for it. It was fairly recent, I believe. Good luck.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

srvnt
12-31-2016, 12:45 PM
My shower leaked on our maiden voyage, leaking out to the bathroom floor, man was I ticked! The leak was where the shower enclosure meets the wall and at the pan also. I bought some really good silicone at the local
Ace hardware store and caulked the entire inside as not to take any more chances. I did caulk the area that is designed to flex also , but silicone flexes too, and after a couple years there is no mold, cracking, etc. I think everyone should water test their shower seal before use because I am not the only one who has had this problem.

bg71361
12-31-2016, 01:39 PM
First official weekend out camping and noticed that in the bottom of the shower area where the walls meet the floor there is no silicone. I am not sure if how this system is designed if it was intentionally left off or if it was overlooked. Anyone have something similar to let me know what is appropriate?

My TT is an elite 27RB

Thanks in advance

Mine was also un-caulked until I found it leaked, now it's caulked, different unit same style shower setup.

theeyres
01-01-2017, 07:36 PM
I know the thrailers come uncaulked and are not supposed to leak. But I couldn't see a danger in caulking so I did. Figured I better be safe than sorry.

chuckster57
01-01-2017, 07:49 PM
As long as your sure it's DRY behind the shower pan and surround it's probably ok to seal the gap. I would worry about mold growth.