PDA

View Full Version : Level Up Control Pad Going Bad?

canesfan
12-30-2016, 11:48 AM
Wondering if my control pad is going bad? When I've tried to turn it on the last few times it wouldn't come on right away. I have to hold the On button several seconds before it comes on, and once or twice it came on and turned right back off. Wondering if it is going bad if it's easy to replace myself of if I need to take it in to the dealer?

JRTJH
12-30-2016, 01:04 PM
Which "control pad" are you talking about? There's one on the "level-up" system, one on the trailer remote control, one on the refrigerator, one on the microwave, etc....

chuckster57
12-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Since your title says Level Up, I am thinking its the control pad for the leveling system. Low battery voltage can make it act goofy.

canesfan
12-31-2016, 06:36 AM
Lol, since my title specified Level Up Control Pad I thought maybe I didn't need to specify it again, but hey, it's all good.

The slides work fine, if the batteries were low I'd think they wouldn't work or would struggle. But, I will check the batteries. Thanks.

ChuckS
12-31-2016, 01:35 PM
You didn't specify if coach or fifth wheel, etc.. I am assuming later model perhaps with the Lippert 3.0 6 point level up system...

Check the wiring connect on the back side of the level up control panel.. I'd remove it and clean contacts of plug and reinstall

If problem still persists I'd then check the wiring connections from control panel..

And of course I am assuming you have at least 13.2 volts D.C. Coming to the system...

Stew
12-31-2016, 09:27 PM
Check your ground connection at the point where the battery negative attaches to the frame. That's where my level up system ground was also attached and the screw broke off causing weird crap to happen

canesfan
01-01-2017, 06:17 AM
Rig is in my sig. 5th wheel. Lippert 6 point level up, not sure which version. The one they were making 3 years ago, until I find that info.

Yes, there is 12 VDC on the system. All 12vDC items work properly. Haven't been able to put a meter on yet to see exactly where 12VDC stands. Rig is always plugged into shore power.

I will check the ground and other connections if I can figure how to get to the back of it. It is enclosed in a plastic molded thing inside the driver side LP compartment.

chuckster57
01-01-2017, 07:04 AM
The control pad will have a harness that plugs into it. If you can trace it from the pad to the frame that's where the ground will be.

canesfan
01-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Ok, I will try to look at it today after it warms up some. Thinking about where it is mounted the back of it should be on the wall that separates the LP compartment from the generator compartment. Hopefully I can find it and get to it. Don't recall seeing any screws on the LP compartment side, but it has to be mounted somehow.

canesfan
01-02-2017, 07:32 AM
So, as I thought there are NO screws, bolts, or any other type of mounting hardware available to access the control pad. It is mounted inside what looks like it might be a rectangular, plastic, molded speaker enclosure (the kind you would put over the back of a speaker). There is no hardware showing holding it into the enclosure, and there is no hardware showing holding the enclosure to the back of the LP compartment wall. There is a lip that runs around the outside of the enclosure, my only guess is it's glued there. :confused:

Also, the backside of the wall where the wiring would enter is ABOVE the enclosed generator compartment, which is about 5' wide. I can see above there from the battery compartment, which is on the opposite side of the generator compartment.

I took some pictures but my stupid phone will now not connect to my computer. :rolleyes: But without finding how to get the control pad enclosure off the wall there is NO way to get to the backside of it. Another marvel of engineering from Keystone. I will keep trying to post pictures, but any suggestions are welcome. What ground wires I found in my searching all looked tight and clean, but I can't tell which, if any of them, might be from the controller.

chuckster57
01-02-2017, 07:40 AM
The control pad is held into the plastic box with tabs. I can't remember if you pry down or sideways so be gentle.

ChuckS
01-02-2017, 11:14 AM
Top edge of control panel has a plastic lip and if you gently lift bottom edge and work it out slowly it will lift out from bottom edge first then you can gain access to backside.. just be gentle and easy when taking out.. to reinstall put top edge in first making sure plastic tab catches and then gently insert panel till flush

canesfan
01-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Thank you both. When it stops raining in a day or two I will see if I can get it out that way without breaking anything. I appreciate it very much.